Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2006 10:01:52 PM EDT
Well, is it?

I'm going to Nuevo Vallarta next week with family, and since it's illegal to possess even a single bullet in Mexico, I would like to at least carry my 2 oz. canister of Fox OC.

Also, is it legal to carry a folding pocket knife there? I don't want to carry the knife for defensive purposes, but it's always handy to have on hand. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for New Year responses.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Legal?........Don't know

Effective?.........Definitely NOT
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's not like I can carry my Glock in Meh-hico, let alone try to get it back into the US.  

OC is my next best bet.  Anyone have a clue where to find this info?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I strongly advise AGAINST taking pepper spray into Mexico.

They have a different idea of the "law" there.  It seems that the law is whatever the cops decide it is.  I was busted with a pocket knife--about a 4" blade and was in cuffs in the back of the police car before they told me the "fine" was $60 US, in cash, if you get the point.

The Mexican cops will also stop anyone they feel like and frisk you and search you for drugs, weapons, etc..  More so if you are younger and look like a gringo who travelled to Mexico just for the cheap drugs.  They use these fishing expeditions to find contraband and then get you to bribe your way out of it.

I also had a friend of mine who spent 2 weeks in a Mexican jail for a small pocket knife.  Granted he was drunk and stubborn with the cops and could have paid his "fine" directly to the cops for $100, but he told them to fuck off so they locked him up for 2 weeks and took the $1300 he had on him.  Don't play around with Mexican weapons laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top