Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 10:22:37 AM EDT
I consider the left lane to be the fast movers.  The middle lane is for normal and slow traffic.  The right lane is primarily for incoming and exiting traffic.

Is this basically correct or should slow movers always be in the far right lane?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if you don't live in MS or LA, if u do pay no attention to the signs on the roadside!! Apparently "yield" & "merge" means turn to the left, don't look and just fn pull out, who needs a blinker too? In our states, the middle is slowest, left and rh sides are nascar style get the fuck out the way lanes...
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
In theory, that's how it should work.  When traffic is heavy, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty FuckiN Sure Thats How Its supposed To Work

Do Whatever You Want Though....... Nobody Follows The rules
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Slow traffic needs to stay in the right lane.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I consider the left lane to be the fast movers.  The middle lane is for normal and slow traffic.  The right lane is primarily for incoming and exiting traffic.

Is this basically correct or should slow movers always be in the far right lane?
View Quote

Since most states have road signs that inform drivers "Keep right except to pass" or "Slower traffic keep right" the logical conclusion is that slower traffic should remain in the right lane as much as practical* so as to not impede the normal flow of traffic.

* Needing to enter the middle lane to allow safe merging of incoming traffic, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Get in the left lane and drive five miles an hour below the posted speed limit, and have your left turn signal flashing continuously.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
We need a sticky for this as it comes up once a week. There seems to be a lot of confusion by the members here about this.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The left lane is for passing, speed has shit to do with it.

This changes in built up areas, when exits can occur in either direction, and speeds are generally slower anyway.

I don't care how fast you are going, you shouldn't camp out in the left lane.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  The left lane is for passing only.  My opinion is that the center lane is for traveling and the right lane is for merging.  But that's just, like, my opinion man...

I say that because when there are three lanes, it almost always means there are a lot of on- and off-ramps because it's a high traffic area, and traveling in the right lane will impede the flow of traffic.  

The only exception would be if you're going well under the speed limit (i.e., close to merging speed) in which case you should stay in the right lane.  And put your blinkers on, you idiot.

Oh yes, and NEVER FUCKING PASS ON THE RIGHT.    ETA: unless you're passing a left-lane camper.  I meant don't pass on the right if you're passing someone in the center lane.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I drive the speed limit in the far right lane.  If I come upon an RV or some other slow-mover I simply pass them (still going the speed limit) in the center lane.

The only real stress I have is when idiots don't understand that it is their responsibility to merge ahead of me, or behind me - not into me.

The fun part is counting the idiots who think the left lane is their private NASCAR track, and seeing them pulled over by the cops.  I love that shit.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The truth you speak
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#13]
left lane- faster than speed limit

middle- speed limit

right - slow asses

Not absolutely perfect, but it's the general rule.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought the left lane was for slow moving hybrids.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I've found that theory is fun, but practice takes precedence.

If you're the only guy driving the "right" way, you're just the plug in the asshole of progress.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. Very often the left lane is restricted for certain traffic like 18 wheelers. That puts many of us in the middle lane, which is our left lane, stuck behind slow fuckers that belong in the right lane.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
middle- speed limit
right - slow asses

View Quote

That's how I see it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#18]
That's how it was on the highways where I grew up.

(If the traffic on your right is passing you, you're going to slow.)
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#19]
The way I understand it is that the left lane is MY FUCKING LANE and the middle and right lane is for everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Left lane camping should be punishable by severe beatings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks all.  From what I can gather, under normal conditions my assumptions are basically correct.  Under heavy traffic, just do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Right hand lane for merging/exiting and for putzs.
Middle lane for everyone else.
The Left Lane is mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]
You have THREE lanes?   Must be nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#24]
right lane for old ladies and idiots

middle lane for passing traffic in right lane

left lane for passing traffic in middle lane

when you're not passing traffic move to the right until you need to pass again
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is 'merica, I have freedoms, you don't tell me how to drive.  If I want to do 10 under in the left lane, it's my God given right by the constitution and the Supreme Court.  

Haven't seen it in this thread so figured I'd kick it off for the mouth breathers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only if you don't live in MS or LA, if u do pay no attention to the signs on the roadside!! Apparently "yield" & "merge" means turn to the left, don't look and just fn pull out, who needs a blinker too? In our states, the middle is slowest, left and rh sides are nascar style get the fuck out the way lanes...
View Quote

That's pretty much the norm most places now. Don't forget to slam on your brakes every few hundred feet. Right hand exits should begin in the far left lane. Those white lines for dividing the lanes, they are just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get in the left lane and drive five miles an hour below the posted speed limit, and have your left turn signal flashing continuously.
View Quote

In FL its 15 under and you must have your AARP card and parking brake engaged.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. It really is no wonder why La. has the highest rates in the country. Bunch of no-driving idiots!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#29]
No. Left lane is for PASSING. If you aren't passing, get in the middle lane or right lane, you aren't special.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The way I understand it is that the left lane is MY FUCKING LANE and the middle and right lane is for everyone else.
View Quote

pretty much. Look how special I am! I am just going to sit here for my entire commute even though I am passing no one and everyone is passing me on the right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Right hand lane, as well as the middle, is for traffic.  Left is passing.  People entering generally have a yield sign and should use their frickin' brains and drive smartly into the traffic stream.  I don't know where the expectation came from that people had to move over for people entering the highway.  It's nice and all but people just EXPECT it now and that's B.S.  Pay attention and YIELD motherfuckers!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

OP: Your mentality is a contributing factor as to why traffic is jacked up.

Thinking X lane is for Y speed is wrong and stupid.  

If people use the lanes how they are designed then, yes, that is how traffic would naturally flow.  However, getting on to a wide open 3 lane freeway and instantly moving to the far left or middle lane is wrong.  If traffic dictates that you must move to the left to pass somebody in the right lane then do it.  But you should move back over to the right when it's prudent.

Like mentioned before too many clowns hang out in the middle lane and that screws with us truck drivers who legally have to consider that our passing lane.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://youtu.be/9BKZcBEN8lE
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
My two cents on the matter: YIELD and MERGE are NOT the same thing!  

In Colorado SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT and KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS signs are prominently displayed on highways.  The law is not enforced as it should be.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/9BKZcBEN8lE

That should be mandatory watching before you get your license.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
That's how I see it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

middle- speed limit

right - slow asses

That's how I see it.

Same, in Las Vegas this is how it is:

left lane: at your leisure speed/old people

middle: extremely slow lane

right: passing lane

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
So did some cock sucker in a silver fucking prius this afternoon with NY plates.      This fuckstain was swerving whenever someone would try to get around him..        I was seriously praying for someone who gave no fucks to just fucking plow his ass into the fucking guard rail.    fuck him and his fucking prius.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I hate when there's a slow vehicle in the center lane, and both myself and the car in front of me decide to pass said slow vehicle in the left lane at the same time, only to have the guy in front of me go 3mph faster than the slow vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So did some cock sucker in a silver fucking prius this afternoon with NY plates.      This fuckstain was swerving whenever someone would try to get around him..        I was seriously praying for someone who gave no fucks to just fucking plow his ass into the fucking guard rail.    fuck him and his fucking prius.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to check and make sure you weren't from Florida. The NY'ers, Michiganers and Canadians down here are a hazard. Throw in the Third Worlders, Near Dead and FSA members and driving is a real treat.

Thankfully I can avoid the biggest part of them by staying on the turnpike.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The left lane is for passing, speed has shit to do with it.

This changes in built up areas, when exits can occur in either direction, and speeds are generally slower anyway.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
middle- speed limit
right - slow asses

View Quote

No, left lane is for passing. Keep right except to pass. In a perfect world, if everyone paid attention to this, everyone could go just about as fast as the wanted.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Right hand lane for merging/exiting and for putzs.

Middle lane for everyone else.

The Left Lane is mine.
View Quote

Can you and the other people like you buy GoPros, pick a time and place, fight it out for left-lane dominance, and post the videos online?

Make sure you include the videos of soccer moms being run off the road, their minivans bursting into flames.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top