Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 2:52:11 AM EDT
I'm actively trying to relocate to Ohio - this means it's time to dust off the 'ol resume. This time around, I figured I wouldn't take any chances, so I hired somebody to write it for me. It looks pretty good, but I need my fellow arfcom'ers to tear it apart and suggest improvements - unless it's perfect of course.  

I'm not trying to hit up members for a job, that's what job sites are for. Having said that, after reading it, would you hire me? Why or why not? I need this baby to be a stellar document. It needs to be nice enough to get me a phone call or some face time. I'll be set from there. Let's hear from some IT guys, too.

Tear it up guys!
alan.strawinski.net/resume-edited.doc
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if you have to ask. no it isn't.

then again i have yet to have an interveiw where anyone actually read mine. They looked over it to see if the basic were there for the job and the rest rode on the interview.

mike

I guess it'll never be up to snuff, as I'll always ask.

It's been a long time since my resume mattered. I've landed almost every job I've ever had by knowing somebody. Because of that, even the interview didn't matter much.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good here.  Like Mike said, it will be just glanced over to make sure you have all the basic background and then it's all about the interview.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m a Network Engineer myself and after reading it over it looks fine – finish up that CCNP and It’ll even be better. GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're going for a consulting job, you need to emphasize exactly how "billable" you've been in the past and at what rate.  I always hired guys who were 110% @ $250/hr. vs. guys who sat on the bench.  

If you'll be interviewing for an inside IT job, then emphasize how much money your work saved.  For instance, if you do IP Telephony, show the cost savings for the company.  This shows that you have business acumen and a strategic bent towards IT.  Anyone can install switches, you need to show that you understand the business impact.

Also, harden up the top section of the resume.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be your Objective or a Summary of your skills.  I would make it more customized as an Objective depending on who your interviewing with.

ETA- This is a good resume.  Just needs the tweaks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I’m a Network Engineer myself and after reading it over it looks fine – finish up that CCNP and It’ll even be better.
GOOD LUCK!

Must...stop...posting...need...to...study...

You're right. I do need to hurry up and finish that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you're going for a consulting job, you need to emphasize exactly how "billable" you've been in the past and at what rate.  I always hired guys who were 110% @ $250/hr. vs. guys who sat on the bench.  

If you'll be interviewing for an inside IT job, then emphasize how much money your work saved.  For instance, if you do IP Telephony, show the cost savings for the company.  This shows that you have business acumen and a strategic bent towards IT.  Anyone can install switches, you need to show that you understand the business impact.

Also, harden up the top section of the resume.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be your Objective or a Summary of your skills.  I would make it more customized as an Objective depending on who your interviewing with.

ETA- This is a good resume.  Just needs the tweaks.

Wow, that's some great advice, thank you!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If you need any study material for the rest of the tests let me know. I need to get off my @$$ and knock mine out too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top