Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/7/2005 11:34:07 AM EDT
I have a buddy who is in Army ROTC, he is pretty gung ho which is cool. Anyways when i see him he is always wearing Army shirts, Infantry, Ranger, 101 AA, 82nd.

I am prior service Army and it doesn't bother me I kinda just laugh inside but I just find it a little weird to wear a Ranger shirt when you are not even in the Army yet.

should i say something to him to let him know its kinda odd to do so i just let him drive on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:35:31 AM EDT
it probably motivates him in some way. Nothing bad in it, unless he was a 400 lb greasy guy telling war stories at gun shops and gun shows.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 9:57:04 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
ignore me I know nothing
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:36:07 AM EDT
He is in ROTC, so he is on his way and has made a commitment. Dont brake his bubble. Let him enjoy it and he will earn it later. Its not like he is not involved in any way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:36:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
it probably motivates him in some way. Nothing bad in it, unless he was a 400 lb greasy guy telling war stories at gun shops and gun shows.

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:37:57 AM EDT
Make sure he wears his ranger t-shirt when he goes off for training.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:40:39 AM EDT
Just laugh and walk on. He'll figure it out when he's at OBC and wear's that stuff on or off post. The first time he gets challenged on it, he'll probably be embarrased and never wear it again.

Heck, I'm still ticked the Army took the black beret and gave it to all soldiers and I'm not even Ranger qualified!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:41:51 AM EDT
At least they're just t-shirts. I remember an oooooooold thread here started by some dumb kid who was so pumped to be going into the Marines, he went and got a big Globe and Anchor tattoo BEFORE he shipped off to basic training

I wonder what his experience at boot was like.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:43:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
At least they're just t-shirts. I remember an oooooooold thread here started by some dumb kid who was so pumped to be going into the Marines, he went and got a big Globe and Anchor tattoo BEFORE he shipped off to basic training

Oh, I'm quite sure he had a GOOD time at boot camp! His DI's probably treated him like a king.

I bet he's got some rather large muscles and excellent muscular endurance now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:44:38 AM EDT
to save him that embarrasment, you could drop a comment along the lines of "it makes no difference to me, but there are guys in those units who might take offense to that."

think of it this way--if he makes a bad impression on a member of the cadre, it could affect his career. you're in a position to help him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:45:56 AM EDT
I think its cool, he's not feigning belonging in said groups, probably just looks up to them.

I used to work out with a guy that wore a ranger's shirt everyday, and he would work out hard.

So I asked, and he told me it was motivation, cause he ships out in 4 weeks.

Now if he regales you of tales of being a doorgunner on the spaceshuttle. then run.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:47:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:48:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sirensong:
to save him that embarrasment, you could drop a comment along the lines of "it makes no difference to me, but there are guys in those units who might take offense to that."

think of it this way--if he makes a bad impression on a member of the cadre, it could affect his career. you're in a position to help him.

As cadre myself, we'd just laugh at him behind his back. It won't affect his career unless he doesn't perform to standard. We'd laugh at him, but we wouldn't do anything to hurt his career chances because he likes to wear Ranger t-shirts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:48:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:54:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:14:24 PM EDT

My buddy did that too. He said they said something about it but it wasn't a big deal. It was on the back just behind his shoulder but it was realy big (alot bigger then it could have been on his arm).

I mean if you think about it would you rather train someone who really really likes the marines or is just there because of circumstances?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:17:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

My buddy did that too. He said they said something about it but it wasn't a big deal. It was on the back just behind his shoulder but it was realy big (alot bigger then it could have been on his arm).

I mean if you think about it would you rather train someone who really really likes the marines or is just there because of circumstances?

I think that would be outweighed by this kid's presumption to sport a USMC tattoo before the Marines said he was a Marine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT by txgp17]
Leave him be, he's motivated. Just don't let him venture far from home wearing it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:37:51 PM EDT

I had a guy in boot camp with MARINES all the way across his back. It was huge. That poor moron got his ass thrashed everynight before bed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:41:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mike45acp:
I have a buddy who is in Army ROTC, he is pretty gung ho which is cool. Anyways when i see him he is always wearing Army shirts, Infantry, Ranger, 101 AA, 82nd.

I am prior service Army and it doesn't bother me I kinda just laugh inside but I just find it a little weird to wear a Ranger shirt when you are not even in the Army yet.

should i say something to him to let him know its kinda odd to do so i just let him drive on.

Whatever gets him through the day! Still not as bad as all the ASSHATS I see driving with "NAVY SEALS" stickers on their cars. I see so many of them in the Daytona area, you would think Little Creek moved to Daytona Beach!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
We had a guy in basic that was former Navy. He had a US Navy tat on his arm. After the first week I actually did feel sorry for him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:45:56 PM EDT
Good for him. I wish more civilians would honor those units by wearing unit tshirts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
not to highjack the thread...
at the university i went too ...ROTC was a ranger unit (?)...or something to that effect..can someone fill in here about ROTC rangers..

just curious...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:52:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By muddydog:
at the university i went too ...ROTC was a ranger unit (?)...or something to that effect..can someone fill in here about ROTC rangers..

just curious...

I think your thinking of Ranger Challenge Team.

that would be pretty badass to have a Ranger Reg training at your school!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:55:58 PM EDT

Heck, I'm still ticked the Army took the black beret and gave it to all soldiers and I'm not even Ranger qualified!

I agree. The soft cap was great and more functional. The army should never have gone black beret for all!!! WTF, over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:57:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By muddydog:

just curious...

Probably Ranger Challenge or Ranger Company. OSU had both. UMR, where I work, has a Ranger Challenge team and a Raiders club.

Ranger Challenge is a sporting event where the team competes against other schools in various military skills events. Ranger Company and Raiders are more club type activities.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:58:00 PM EDT
When i was in College, The ROTC at my University claimed to be "Ranger" Rotc. All i know is they all went off to Ft. Benning one summer and when they came back they all had the "Ranger" patch.(NOT the "TAB" but the one ranger qualified people wear who aren't assigned to the Ranger regiments.) The following summer they all attended OCS. But the ones who got the ranger patch and went to OCs I believe were all upper classmen set to graduate.

I never really understood where ROTC stands in the sceme of things. I knew people who were actually already in the Army going through ROTC as well as Students who were going to be to serve out a committment. The only difference i saw was the Already Military ROTC'ers had Cadet rank higher than the other cadets, and sometimes they wore their BDU's with their actual regular military rank attached.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:02:57 PM EDT
Hey Redleg13a, i have a funnier one than that, A kid who was from West Virginia who went through the delinquency facility where i work got into the Marines.

1. He was from West Virginia, bad enough harrassment wise!

2. He had the word "Soldier" NOT "Marine" tattooed down his forearm Misspelled!!!

I bet the drill instructors had driven him insane before he completed Basic!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
I'd say good for him as long as he doesn't pull his Glock on anyone at the car wash.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fireguy3:
When i was in College, The ROTC at my University claimed to be "Ranger" Rotc. All i know is they all went off to Ft. Benning one summer and when they came back they all had the "Ranger" patch.(NOT the "TAB" but the one ranger qualified people wear who aren't assigned to the Ranger regiments.) The following summer they all attended OCS. But the ones who got the ranger patch and went to OCs I believe were all upper classmen set to graduate.

I never really understood where ROTC stands in the sceme of things. I knew people who were actually already in the Army going through ROTC as well as Students who were going to be to serve out a committment. The only difference i saw was the Already Military ROTC'ers had Cadet rank higher than the other cadets, and sometimes they wore their BDU's with their actual regular military rank attached.

Where were you in college? ROTC cadets don't go to OCS. They do go to Warrior Forge, AKA Advanced Camp, the summer between their junior and senior years. When they come back, they are the cadet officers in charge of the cadet battalion. We still supervise and approve everything they do.

Not sure about this Ranger patch you're talking about unless you're talking about the Ranger Challenge patch. It's a tab on the left shoulder above the Cadet Command patch. Doesn't mean a dang thing.

ROTC is the largest source of commissioned officers for the Army. West point commissions about 1000 per year, ROTC about 4000 and OCS the balance. OCS commissions each year depending on the shortfall from USMA and ROTC.

Some ROTC cadets are prior service active duty or ARNG/USAR. Those cadets don't wear their enlisted rank on their uniforms. The can wear awards or school badges, ie Air Assault, Airborne, Ranger, Sapper, etc. if they earned them but not their rank. They are cadets just like everyone else except they tend to know more and be more competant than other cadets.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:08:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

Hey, asshole, those are the only shirts I can get in my size.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:27:09 PM EDT
immitation is a form of flattery....

I know a few guys who wear stuff like that, they do it as a form of support, like cheerleading.....

I myself would, but i do know rangers and the like, i do not want to insult them, they might not mind at all
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:27:00 PM EDT
Some guys wear NYPD and NYFD caps and t-shirts as their way of honoring some real heros.

I would just chalk it up to enthusiasm and his way of honoring those he admires. He's not misrepresenting himself to anyone as being a member of those elite groups, so no harm done.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:30:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By xinflt:

I agree. The soft cap was great and more functional. The army should never have gone black beret for all!!! WTF, over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is a "soft cap"???

It's a PC dammit!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT
Give him a break.

At least he's looking forward to serving. If he's not talking Rambo, don't worry about it.

Hell, I ain't no Marine, but one gave me a utility cover a while back and I wear it every so often.

(I was Army)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:53:14 PM EDT
I wore those shirts when I was a kid. I did join the army and get my wings though when I grew up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:55:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:

Originally Posted By xinflt:

WTF is a "soft cap"???

It's a PC dammit!

That Piss Cutter was the dumbest ,most worthless peice of headgear ever devised!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:
That Piss Cutter was the dumbest ,most worthless peice of headgear ever devised!!!!

Bob

Is that the same thing as a "cunt cap"?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:59:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redleg13a:

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:

Bob

Is that the same thing as a "cunt cap"?

Yes, same kind of cap.

Dumb, ehhh maybe, worthless, hell NO. I wore mine whenever I could, then when I got some place where covers weren't appropriate then it got folded over the belt, otherwise you got a "real" hat you have to hang on to, find a safe place to set it down, keep clean, take apart to wash, take the time to put it together right with no smiles, etc,etc, or you can stick it in your belt and have it ready to go when ready.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:08:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:23:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
I'd agree if they'd only issue boonies instead of patrol caps. I view the Kevlar as a frontline piece of equipment or an air item for those in LRS, etc. (including Rangers).

The Boonie hat is much better. I wore a boonie hat alot when I went down range at Yakima and wore it over at FT Irwin too. Saves your face and ears from sunburn in the Desert, sunburned ears suck. I know of a few older crusty EOD guys who got skin cancer, and since we spent a fair amount of time down range in the sun opted for more protection.

I used to like the look on CSM's faces seeing us pull up with Boonie hats on and they couldn't say shit to us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:28:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

He got lucky. A guy in my platoon showed up with a big EGA tattoo. He made it almost 2 weeks. The DIs made it a personal mission to see that he didn't graduate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:54:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911greg:

that would be pretty badass to have a Ranger Reg training at your school!

IIRC, there's a Navy SEAL in the Navy ROTC program at PSU. He was in my Military History class. The thought of this guy being "under"21 year old kids amused me to no end. The guy had a rather large rack of medals and his Trident, and like, Mid 2/C rank.
Top Top