Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:17:21 PM EDT
On December 3rd I squashed the tip of my finger between garage door panels. Fingernail immediately turned black from the blood, there was even blood spots on the finger tip. Everyone kept telling me I'm going to loose the fingernail but it's still there and it's still black. A few days ago it seemed loose and I tried to pull on it but it was only the front part of the nail and I ended up just clipping it. What do you think, is it still going to fall off? Any idea how much longer it's going to be black?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like the worst damage is growing out now. It still might fall off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd bank on it falling off.. just takes time..
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Dibs on guns
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
looks fine
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. It may or may not grow back. Live with it, or do as I would. Amputate that disfigured digit!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You should have drilled it just after it happened. Sounds painfull  but it is not. The black is dried blood.

will you loose it? I don't know as I have had it go both ways.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should have drilled it just after it happened. Sounds painfull  but it is not. The black is dried blood.

My father told me I should have drilled it when I saw him this Christmas and I wasn't sure if he was screwing with me or not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father told me I should have drilled it when I saw him this Christmas and I wasn't sure if he was screwing with me or not.

He wasn't.  You know that throbbing sensation afterwards that felt like someone was repeatedly smacking it with a hammer?  Drilling it makes that go away.  It's damn near better than sex when you break through and the blood squirts out.   Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He wasn't.  You know that throbbing sensation afterwards that felt like someone was repeatedly smacking it with a hammer?  Drilling it makes that go away.  It's damn near better than sex when you break through and the blood squirts out.   Seriously.

It's like popping a giant zit good?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely not. Do NOT use a brand new bit about this size:

If you need to, do NOT use a slightly bigger bit to enlarge the hole.

NEVER use a brand new bit, every time. Sanitize it first. I use rubbing alcohol.

Slow speed... SLOW SPEED... light pressure... VERY LIGHT PRESSURE. In NO circumstance let the drill bit do the work.

I am no medical pro! DON'T LISTEN TO ME!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
She's a beauty!

Wanna sell it?

Quoted:

Absolutely not. Do NOT use a brand new bit about this size:
http://www.dungeoncrawlers.com/albums/album72/drilling_the_pin_hole.jpg
If you need to, do NOT use a slightly bigger bit to enlarge the hole.
NEVER use a brand new bit, every time. Sanitize it first. I use rubbing alcohol.
Slow speed... SLOW SPEED... light pressure... VERY LIGHT PRESSURE. In NO circumstance let the drill bit do the work.

I am no medical pro! DON'T LISTEN TO ME!

Yes. Use a NEW bit which has been cleaned/sterilized.

If you're (un)lucky, your wife is an RN and accidentally brings home hypodermic needles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It should fall off, but in the mean time get some flesh-tone nail polish and paint that puppy

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like popping a giant zit good?

Better.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It should fall off, but in the mean time get some flesh-tone nail polish and paint that puppy  

Why would I paint it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
You paint your pinky finger you wannabe metro.

P.S. Buy a digital camera.

ETA: Yeah it's gonna fall off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]
You shouldn't listen to these fools. The trick is to heat up a paperclip till it's red hot and push it through to release the pressure. It does not hurt, and actually feels better. I think at this point you need to go all Marilyn Manson and paint them all black. It will probably fall off and look really zombie for a couple of years. Just try to make it obvious you are hiding it in social situations. Ypu might also consider getting a facial tatoo, as it will take all the focus away from that deadish looking digit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
When it falls off save it. Put it in your buddy's food. Mashed potatoes with brown gravy is good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't rip it off. You could damage the matrix and lose the nail for the rest of your life. If it does fall off, let it do it on its own.

Protip: put a bandage around the tip of your finger. You'll figure out why that is a good idea the first time your fingernail catches the rim of your pocket when you go in there for something.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]
PIF on the nail.  Not in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, that's gonna fall off. Sometime in the next two months.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Happened to my toe one time. I went to the hospital because I thought my toe may have been broken because it was so swollen.

It wasn't broken but they did burn holes in my toenail with a heat pen type of thing to relieve the pressure and it felt 100x better.

Toenail fell off, but grew back eventually.

Put some holes in that bitch
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Will grow out and fall off.
You'll have a nice, new one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Black is dried blood. Jeez. It doesn't hurt anymore now so drilling is a moot point.

New nail will push out the old nail. Don't pull the old nail out early or the new nail might not grow in. If it does grow in, high chance it will forever be a mangled nail.

Old nail will wear and break off probably after new nail is 1/4 to 1/2 way in. If you have thick nails, new nail will probably be wavy.

Depending on how long your nails are from the root, will probably be months to 1 year until your nail looks normal and not wavy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Black is dried blood. Jeez. It doesn't hurt anymore now so drilling is a moot point.

New nail will push out the old nail. Don't pull the old nail out early or the new nail might not grow in. If it does grow in, high chance it will forever be a mangled nail.

Old nail will wear and break off probably after new nail is 1/4 to 1/2 way in. If you have thick nails, new nail will probably be wavy.

Depending on how long your nails are from the root, will probably be months to 1 year until your nail looks normal and not wavy.

Noted. I wasn't going to drill it now because like you said it doesn't hurt anymore. I just had no idea if I was talking about weeks, months, or a year with it looking all crap... I'm getting tired of explaining it to people cause everyone asks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted. I wasn't going to drill it now because like you said it doesn't hurt anymore. I just had no idea if I was talking about weeks, months, or a year with it looking all crap... I'm getting tired of explaining it to people cause everyone asks.

Get some black nail polish and paint the other nine, people will stop asking, in fact many will stop talking to you altogether.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I smashed a lot of fingers after spending almost three decades as a carpenter.  Yes, that nail will come off.  It might take a bit of time, but when it pushes out from the cuticle it will fall off.  After about three months after falling off it will start to look normal.  Enjoy!  

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some black nail polish and paint the other nine, people will stop asking, in fact many will stop talking to you altogether.

I have actually given that some thought... I don't know that my boss would care but I thin his boss would.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#29]
You need a little mouth full of teeth to go with the two white eyes at the top. Or are those just reflections? Since your going to be stuck with that for a while no reason not to be creative. At least with some creative painting when people ask about it you can just say its your little friend.

I showed the picture to my wife and she like the mouth idea. Said at least when woman ask about it you can something like, "Be nice or I'll turn my little friend loose on you." Then she laugh manically and walked off. Women.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Last year I smashed my thumb rear bad at the base of the thumbnail. What I didn't know or couldn't see was the fact that under the skin I had busted my thumbnail. I took 4 months for everything to grow out, fall off, and grow back. But that does beat the time my buddy accidently sent a 1/8 inch drill bit through my other thumbnail and into the thumb. No need to drill a hole to release the pressure, there was one already there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have drilled it just after it happened. Sounds painfull but it is not. The black is dried blood.

my buddy smashed his between the clutch lever and a tree while riding motoX. We used a nail from his truck toolbox, heated with a lighter and melted a hole in his nail. blood squirted 5 feet in the air. he was cured.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I squished mine in a door a while back, didn't look as bad as that.

Mine separated from the skin underneath so I had to clip it off before it caught on something. It's back to normal now but it took a while.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Fixt it for you.  You're welcome.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Man up shirley.

It will probably stay if you give it some protection.

Band aid/Tape in the daytime and let it air at night.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fixt it for you.  You're welcome.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx160/hofmannjr/fixt-1.jpg

What did you fix?
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes it's going to fall off. It will be black until it falls off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top