Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2001 1:05:43 AM EDT
I want to buy an upper for my lower and complete my first AR.  What I would like to know is how much of a difference is there between a JT 20" Bull Barrel with flat top upper or a DPMS 20" Super Bull upper?
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Listen, if it isn't obvious by now.....EVERONE on this board owns one brand and one brand only and thats COLT.

Sure, there's a lot of spin-off nonsense, but nobody buys that crap. Bushmaster, Amalite, DPMS, Wilson Combat....blah blah blah. Yeah, they're great if you wanna get laughed off the range!

Son, it's time you put down Zima, picked up a little J.D. and got yourself a real AR. Colt, it's what MEN shoot.

Link Posted: 2/18/2001 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
M4.....AR stands for Armalite.

Spray
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Spray
View Quote

Damn, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt????? hah! hah! hah!

nuff said!

Link Posted: 2/18/2001 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
what riddler said.hahahahahahahaha colt rotflmao
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Listen, if it isn't obvious by now.....EVERONE on this board owns one brand and one brand only and thats COLT.

View Quote

M4, EVERONE on this board does not own
Colts.  I could not be happier with my Bushmaster and my Palmetto Armory with Bushmaster upper.  Nobody has laughed me off the range yet.  They were all shooting Bushmasters as well.

I own some older Colt products that I am happy with, but I'm not sure I would by any more.

SB, I don't have any experience with either of the uppers you mention, but either would probably be fine.  The fun with AR's is that you can easily change them if it's not exactly what you wanted.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, i'm probably gonna catch some s**t for this one, but here goes,,,,

obviously, i'm a Colt man, BUT, let me say this, since Colt Pre ban lowers and uppers are WAY TO HIGH, i'm buying up Bushmaster and other off brand stuff for my "re-building" projects.

(see them at www.geocities.com/coltm1991a1/)

example, i priced a colt lower last week, (forget the model #) it was $850.

bought last month an Essential Arms pre ban lower for $600.

am i going to pay extra $$$$ for the Colt name?
NO.

i can have just as much fun rebuilding / shooting someone else's lower.

i guess it's all in preference of what you want.
i have one each, Colt, Bushmaster, Eagle Arms and Essential Arms, all four have served me well.

secret, after purchasing a lower, i strip it down and install a Bushmaster complete lower kit. excellent quality with Bushy stuff.  

colt, out.

i agree with ar15robert below
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The colt will have better resale value just because of the name but newer colts lack QUALITY.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The discussion everyone love's to hate, Colt vs other AR mfg's.

It just refuses to die.....have fun with it. But do try to keep the flames under control.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Own several Bushmasters, an Armalite, and a Colt.  I must say that the Colt is the most accurate one of the bunch- probably because the barrel is not chrome-lined, and it's a competition HBAR.  But if I had to grab ONLY one, it would be my pre-ban Bushmaster.  The fit and reliability far exceeds any other attribute of the other AR's.
Ultimately, it is the operator that counts.

***ptp
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spray
View Quote

Damn, beat me to it.
View Quote

I'm with yous guys.

Jake
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

M4, EVERONE on this board does not own
Colts.  I could not be happier with my Bushmaster and my Palmetto Armory with Bushmaster upper.  Nobody has laughed me off the range yet.  They were all shooting Bushmasters as well.

I own some older Colt products that I am happy with, but I'm not sure I would by any more.

SB, I don't have any experience with either of the uppers you mention, but either would probably be fine.  The fun with AR's is that you can easily change them if it's not exactly what you wanted.
View Quote

Ummmm....Jon....if it wasn't obvious enough, it was a joke. OK? Now untangle those panties and get some sleep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
Colt?! By all means get one. If you are into Overpriced, Poor quality control firearms they are they way to go. If you want an AR you can shoot go Armalite or Bushy. Much better price, resale value as good, better finish more reliabililty. Not to mention companies that stand behind their products.

IMO your milage may vary.
View Quote

My sentiments exactly!!!

Yes, the colts Do have a poor finish and fit. This is not just taken from some post somewhere on some board. When I went shopping for an AR, I looked at all that were available - Colt [formerly my first choice until i'd seen them], Olympic Arms, Eagle Arms [at the time, now Armalite], etc. The colts I saw were truly pathetic, mind you not all of them are but at some point their quality went in the trash. The ones I saw were PAINTED not ANODIZED [yes, there were TRUE colts from an EXCELLENT dealer. The Olympics weren't quite mil-spec [which was what I wanted] the only ones which had a good fit and were anodized were the Bushmaster and the Eagle Arms. The Colts [at that time] were loose fitting. I can't say how the later ones are but these were not what I would want!!!!!!!!!!!
My suggestion, look at them all! If resale value is your ONLY concern then maybe the Colt is a good buy. Just my opinion not to offend anyone but alot of times someone responds that this info was just taken from another post somewhere, not so!
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure, there's a lot of spin-off nonsense, but nobody buys that crap. Bushmaster, Amalite, DPMS, Wilson Combat....blah blah blah. Yeah, they're great if you wanna get laughed off the range!

Son, it's time you put down Zima, picked up a little J.D. and got yourself a real AR. Colt, it's what MEN shoot.

View Quote

While you're at it, don't forget Les Baer! LOL :)
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
[/quote]

The colts I saw were truly pathetic, mind you not all of them are but at some point their quality went in the trash. The ones I saw were PAINTED not ANODIZED [yes, there were TRUE colts from an EXCELLENT dealer.[/quote]

While it may be true that Colt has gone downhill, They have NEVER painted their arms. It sound like someone tried to make something sellable that wasn't, not nessarly the dealer, but someone that sold it to him. They have always anodized their AR's
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt poor fit & finish == nonsense.

The only thing my 93' 6601 that I used to have needed was one of those $5.00 accu-wedgy's and it was solid as a rock!!!!

Of course the Bushy I used to have didn't need one.

Does anyone have that Rocky Mountain Arms Ar15 Varmint rifle with free-floating barrel?

That thing was damm eXpensive if I remember correctly.  Over $1500.

And remember the famous line:

"Quality make's a Colt" circa 1993.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt small hole, large hole? Colt sear block, no sear block? Colt push pin, screw pin?

Who cares?!?! Just pay the bucks.

Don't own one and would only buy one if it was comparably priced with the others.

Just my .02 FRN.

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The only thing my 93' 6601 that I used to have needed was one of those $5.00 accu-wedgy's and it was solid as a rock!!!!
View Quote

Have you seen a 1999 or 2000 Colt?

Colt quality control by Pokeman.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#22]
M4 may have started the joke, but you got the last laugh.

Quoted:
View Quote

...best description of the current situation I can find!

charles
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Feeling a yanking on a chain today??
Your just miffed cause Jerry Garcia stashed a Bushmaster behind his amp.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Funny thing I own a Bushmaster and my preban Colt AR-15 is a POS in comparison. Funny too that the COLT M-4's being sold to the Army are having so many problems they have designated a special type of ammo. Why is it that I had to open up work orders on new Colt M-4 uppers down in Kosovo? Why? Its not my fault that to attach a Colt M-4 upper to a Colt lower you need a F#cking hammer because the "quick detach" pins on the lower receiver are made for sh#t. Also, Colt sold out gun owners. I will keep my Colt because its preban but F#ck Colt Firearms. They are P.C. pussies who are in everything strictly for the dollar - no principle - they'd sell to Quadafi or Hussein if they could get a contract approved. Yes - I own a Colt AR-15 and I hate the company. Buy Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, or whatever. Some companies have ethics left.

Politically Correct Colt Firearms - [frag]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey COLT,
Did you get the original sales receipt with that EA lower? For the extra money you can get proof from COLT. I myself try to stay out of trouble with the Feds at all costs.
I think SB23 was probably talking post-ban for the 20" bull barrel.
I will say that all I own are Colt's (preban) but if I were going to buy a New one (postban) I would buy the Bushmaster, Armalite or the Colt. The Colts I have looked at are no worse than BM or AR. The price is all about the same.
Lynn  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#26]
BigDozer66,

Colts run $200-400 more in this neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Over here the Colt was actually the the second lowest price about $30 more than the BM. About $100 lower than the Armalite. If there was $200-400 more I would go with the BM or AR also. I have seen the same Colt range from $795 to $1075. As you can see that is a big difference. Not every deal is a great one. I seen two Beta-C mags in the for sale forum: 1 @ $355 and one for $500.
Lynn
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you seen a 1999 or 2000 Colt?

View Quote

"Quality make's a Colt" circa 1993.
View Quote

The same might not have been said after 93'.

The general consensus is that Pokemon run's the Q/A dept.

How bad is it really?  

Is the quality comparable to the throwaway pos handguns from the "Ring Of Fire" companies?

Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I have some cheap AR's and alot of really cheap magazines for sale.   Please send your cash $$ money to:

Paul Podhorn
Attica State Prison
1400 Watnong Way
Albany, NY 11314
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#30]
COLT?!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Funniest thing I ever heard!

No seriously, if you want to pay more for something go right ahead.  I on the other hand will either build up exactly what I want the first go around or I'll customize it after having bought the complete rifle.

The COLT motto should be, "For those who don't know any better."

As for the original question, DPMS is typically high quality though I've heard a random report of "hit and miss" quality control, DPMS definitely has a look all their own but since they sell their uppers there are plenty of look alikes out there.  I've heard of a couple people getting some real performers from J&T though I'm not sure how consistent results like that are, if J&T gets good barrels and they are assembled correctly there shouldn't be any reason for them not to perform.

For custom uppers my two favorite custom smiths are Metalcraft http://www.metalcraft-ar15.com/ and JP Enterprises http://www.jpar15.com
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have some cheap AR's and alot of really cheap magazines for sale.   Please send your cash $$ money to:

Paul Podhorn
Attica State Prison
1400 Watnong Way
Albany, NY 11314
View Quote

Trade for some smokes?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I love my Bushy AK shorty, but one of these days I will buy myself an AR with a rampant horse on it. [8D]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
[beer]

Colt???  Kind of a low end beer isn't it???  Not very satisfying, leaves bad taste, poor quality control.  Get what you pay for.

I prefer Bush [sex] (master) myself [:D].

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top