Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/19/2012 8:52:54 PM EST
If so, where do we draw the line? Diplomats and U.S. officials? People that get caught in a spark conflict? Dumbasses that ignore embassy travel warnings? Should any and all citizens receive the support of the military if they are in need? What risk and cost to our military members is acceptable?

Linky

By Barbara Starr November 19th, 2012
Three U.S. Navy amphibious warships are returning to the eastern Mediterranean to remain on standby in the event they are needed to assist Americans leaving Israel in the coming days, according to two U.S. officials.

The officials stressed an evacuation remains an extremely remote possibility and the Obama administration is not currently planning for one. Americans who wish to leave the region now are able to do so using commercial airlines.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:53:54 PM EST
This should be fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:54:13 PM EST
Is it a medical school full of hot co-eds? Count me in if there is combat pay.............and tax free..............................
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:55:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
Is it a medical school full of hot co-eds? Count me in if there is combat pay.............and tax free..............................

me too
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:56:28 PM EST
People there in an official capacity? Yes

Regular US citizens if no travel advisories in effect? Yes

Regular US citizens if travel advisories were in effect? Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:59:16 PM EST

This is a standard operation that we practice for every time we deploy.

Americans are all over. It's much easier to pull them out right away than to negotiate for their release later.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:00:49 PM EST
Role: NO
Should they: YES
if tactically possible...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:03:15 PM EST
Yes, non combatant evacuation is a legitimate mission for many units.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:03:27 PM EST
Not if they are in Benghazi.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:37:46 PM EST
NEO.

What's funny is that during the Libyan crisis, the TCN oil field workers were demanding that the Brits rescue them (since their home 3rd world countries had no way of doing so).

Hmmm, risk-reward = 2-edged sword.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:41:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 10:45:16 PM EST by stickfigure]
Their taxes pay for it.

It's called a "Service" for a reason.

The role of the military is to protect US citizens and US interests from enemies foriegn and domestic.

I think there is a limit to the amount of risk that can be taken given some people's propensity to defy authority and do what they want.

But many, many times it is the respondsibility of the US military to evacuate civilians in war zones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:06:40 PM EST

Sign me up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:09:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By stickfigure:
Their taxes pay for it.

The role of the military is to protect US citizens and US interests from enemies foriegn and domestic.

I think there is a limit to the amount of risk that can be taken given some people's propensity to defy authority and do what they want.

But many, many times it is the respondsibility of the US military to evacuate civilians in war zones.

this
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:25:39 PM EST
NEO is a mission of the USN and the USMC.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:27:32 PM EST
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:42:02 PM EST
Sure hope so.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:47:54 PM EST
I think they should try, but should place higher priorities on the families of US officials (ambassadors) and those caught by surprise over the lives of idiots who ignored warnings for tourism.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:00:22 PM EST
well hell yeah, what the hell do I pay all these taxes for?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:07:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Josh:
NEO is a mission of the USN and the USMC.

Not limited to those services.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:19:31 PM EST

Having been to medical school...

Very few. College had a bigger popluation, thus more hotties. Typicallymuch "friendlier" too
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:21:48 PM EST
Maybe just US citizens who are fighting with one of the non-US armed parties involved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:32:33 PM EST
Being protected abroad (if one's country has the means) is a traditional privilege of citizenship. I don't see why the government should not do what it can to protect American citizens abroad. Seems like a pretty basic function to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:39:22 PM EST
See "The Sand Pebbles".
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:40:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:42:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By Renegade13B:
If so, where do we draw the line? Diplomats and U.S. officials? People that get caught in a spark conflict? Dumbasses that ignore embassy travel warnings? Should any and all citizens receive the support of the military if they are in need? What risk and cost to our military members is acceptable?

Linky

By Barbara Starr November 19th, 2012
Three U.S. Navy amphibious warships are returning to the eastern Mediterranean to remain on standby in the event they are needed to assist Americans leaving Israel in the coming days, according to two U.S. officials.

The officials stressed an evacuation remains an extremely remote possibility and the Obama administration is not currently planning for one. Americans who wish to leave the region now are able to do so using commercial airlines.

What's the difference in boaters ignoring weather warnings and needing rescue from the Coast Guard?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:57:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Der_Hans:
I think they should try, but should place higher priorities on the families of US officials (ambassadors) and those caught by surprise over the lives of idiots who ignored warnings for tourism.

The effort / risk / expense of any rescue operation undertaken should be inversely proportional to the time and strength of the warnings given. If someone is visiting in stable country A and it has a spontaneous revolution or is unexpectedly invaded by country B then we should pull out all stops to save our fellow citizens who have found themselves in harms way. If someone ignores the warnings and chooses to visit friends in Syria tomorrow...good luck buddy.
This kinda reminds me of the 16 year old girl that tried to sail alone across the southern Atlantic and wound up needing a multi-million dollar rescue mission. While I was happy that they found her, that forseeable waste of taxpayer dollars kind of pissed me off. What ever happened to "you mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns."
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jonny712:

Originally Posted By stickfigure:
Their taxes pay for it.

this

This, with the simple exception that people who have been a) rescued once before, b) ignored travel advisories and or c) ignored weather advisories (USCG saves) get charged at least a portion of what it cost to save their dumb ass. (Essentially they never get another tax return)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:39 PM EST
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:55 PM EST
We draw the line at ambassadors and Navy Seals being attacked by angry moviegoers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By stutzcattle:
We draw the line at ambassadors and Navy Seals being attacked by angry moviegoers.

It was chicken nugget night at the Whitehouse. You don't expect them to miss chicken nugget night for some nobodies, do you?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:10:05 PM EST
Yes

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:10:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:

This sums up my thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:47:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:

+1
Unless they are hot. In which case I volunteer anyway. Unfortunately I only know how to drive ships and fly small slow planes, and shoot some, but none of that fancy shit that they want for rescue missions. I'd gladly give the SEALS or whomever a lift.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:49:32 PM EST
How many of those getting assistance are only carry a US passport just to get evac when SHTF?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:58 PM EST
No, the duty of our Sevice members is to kill M-F's and blow shit up.

Do enough of that and it WILL protect US citizens.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:01:31 AM EST
One little known caveat to this is that the U.S. .gov can charge you for their costs during a NEO.

But, yeah, the best NEOs are ones where the civilians self-evacuate.
Top Top