Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 12:14:15 PM EDT
This weekend my wife MADE me go to the mall with her.

While there, we walked by the USMC recruting station. A single officer was in there, manning the phones.

I looked for long seconds, I guess wishing I had joined up when I was younger and physically able.

He waved at me, and I was struck with the notion that here he was respecting me, when I should be thanking him.

Would it be wrong for me to salute, military style, a US armed services member, seeing as I am non-military.

Often, a wave doesn't seem like enuf, and a heart felt, in person thank you isn't always possible.

What can I do??? Would it be wrong for me, being non-military,  to snap a smart salute to him???
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
No, not at all.
It would only be wrong if you were actually IN the military.
Just don't expect him to return the salute.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say no- I would probably have had a laugh about it afterwards with my buddies (did you guys see that civi's fucked up salute?), but it is wonderful to know that people actually appreciate what their military does for the Nation.  Besides, saluting indoors is out of the question, and I would think that a nice firm handshake or a thumbs-up would do just fine.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
you'll look like a dork (sorry, but someone has to say it)

just walk up and tell them what a great job you think they're doing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with a handshake?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
At best he would think you are some kind of weirdo who can't salute correctly.  At worste he would think that you're making fun of him.  I think that your best option is to walk up, shake his hand and thank him for the service that he is doing for the country.  I've never had a veteran take that the wrong way and it is more personal than a salute across the room.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt???

when i did say you were a queer beekeeper?

i don't understand.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
All right.

A handshake and a "thank you" it is.

Still wish I had joined up. Oh well, spilled milk under the bridge, and all that.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All right.

A handshake and a "thank you" it is.

Still wish I had joined up. Oh well, spilled milk under the bridge, and all that.

View Quote
                                              Hand shake and "how ya doin?" is it..........you don`t salute unless you want to make a ass of yourself...you`re not the lone ranger in not being military.....treat the guy like a fellow american and thats it!........[:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Since about the mid-80's, I have made a point of thanking those in that served in the military.

While I was married, at my wifes family gathering, It was mentioned that my older brother-in-law, had fought in Viet Nam (USMC) and he made a comment about the fact (which I don't remember now) and left the table.

I got up also, went and grabbed two fresh beer's and follwed him. When I caught up to him, I said "Hey Ken, here's a fresh one for you" I put my right hand out and said "Thank you for doing what you did, for our country. And more importently, thanks for getting your ass back here in one piece, so I had the chance to meet you". He grabbed my right hand in a firm handshake and said, "you'll never know how much that means to a vet". I will never forget the look on his face and in his eye's.

Edited my because my spelling bites [:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#13]
AR223and 308 -

I did the same thing to a Gulf War vet on July 4 the year the war ended.

Same reaction from him. Of course, I was pretty "misty" myself.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Heck, these days I'd be tempted to simply show up with a cup of coffee for the guy, and if he was sitting there by himself, spend a few minutes getting to know him.  Ask him to the range (ya never know, he might show you a few pointers - not any of the guys here need pointers, do they?)
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I find that a nod and a "Thank you for your service to our country" usually gets a suprised but appreciative response.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#20]
In the early 70's, I was taught that a salute can be given between enlisted personnel. Not necessarily to only a MOH winner. But to someone who is respected, or has performed heroic deeds. I also heard that officers had to salute an enlisted MOH winner, but I don't know if that is true or not...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, I had to dig for this:

Marine Corps' general orders for sentries;

General Order #10: To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
View Quote

Handbook for Marine NCOs (Naval Institute Press, Second Edition, Third Printing, 1984)
Page 354;

"Officers of the same rank exchange salutes on meeting...Enlisted men salute other enlisted men only in formation when rendering reports. However, it is proper for any military man, regardless of rank, to exchange salutes with any other, since the salute is a shared soldierly greeting of all hands, regardless of rank."
View Quote

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who delivers a well executed salute to me, deserves to have at least the same amount of respect returned!

Semper Fidelis

Dave
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#23]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt???

when i did say you were a queer beekeeper?

i don't understand.

OffRoad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago I posted that silly link to a pic of a nude dude holding a rifle in front of his crotch that was captioned "What real men wear" and you asked if I was "a fag--I'm not." It was a "pic of the day" site that changes daily, so I deleted it after 24 hours.

============
ok i remember. i meant that as a joke. i forgot to put the lol after it. sorry. sorry i called you a fag. i can understand your predicament as i would be insulted if somebody called me a fag.

whoops

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#24]
SSgtUSMC,

Thank you for researching that... although that was what I was screaming in my head before I got to your post in this thread. [:D]

When I was active duty, as a show of utmost respect (usually when myself or the other party was leaving the command) I would snap to and salute another enlisted serviceman.  It is perfectly acceptable and, when executed with the proper intent, considered a great compliment.

[i]But the other folks are right... an inproperly delivered salute by a civilian will usually inspire a chuckle.  Stick with the thumbs up.[/i]  
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A thumbs-up would also be appropriate (Except in Australia!)
View Quote

OK, I know better than to ask, but what does a "thumbs up" mean in Austalia???

Other funny cultural references:

A visiting female English house guest may ask you to "come knock her up" in the morning. What she means is, to knock on her door as a wake up call.

A at recent missions conference, it was explained to a visitng Scottish minister that our associate pastor was "under the weather." (i.e. sick) In Scotland, that is a reference to mean "stone drunk."

[:D]

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Earlier this summer, we were at Ft. Hood for our two week deal.  We had to make a PX run.  As we are going into the PX, there is this elderly gentlemen, sitting at the entrance into the store itself.  He is wearing a VFW hat, that is marked with WWII service ribbons and unit designations and as soldiers go buy, he is
looks at them and says, "thanks for your service."

This kinda strikes me as somewhat odd but yet I see his point.  Odd in that here is a generation that was fighting for the essence of liberty, thanking us for our time and efforts.  Seeing his point, because soldiers and vets of recent years (Vietnam to present) haven't really been shown a lot of appreciation or it's just taken for granted.

So I walked up to him, nasty uniform and all.  Take his hand in both of mine, lean down to where we are looking eye to eye and I tell him, "Thank you!"  It kinda takes a moment for it to sink in but he realizes what I'm thanking him for.  He smiles broadly and in return says, thank you.  But this time, it's a might quieter
and it appears very appreciative and introspective.

Started this practice two years ago.  The first time, the WWII vet, just kinda looked down, got very quite and said thank you but it was almost a whisper.  The look in his eyes told me all I needed to know....

Take the time, tell any vet, especially our older veterans, your appreciation.  We owe them that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top