Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:12:31 AM EDT
Getting ready to hit the range and don't want to un-load all my 30-rounders. Is it ok to travel with them loaded? TIA
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:13:28 AM EDT
It is in free states.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:15:20 AM EDT
In AZ you can travel with a loaded mag in the gun with one in the pipe. Your local laws may vary. We can also open carry without a permit, and conceal a holstered firearm anywhere in teh vehicle without a permit (or put an unholsterd gun in the console, glove compartment or map pocket).
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:20:22 AM EDT
Not if you roll east into MD.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:22:51 AM EDT
Yes, but only if you sit on a shotgun shell.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:27:12 AM EDT

Is it ok to transport loaded mags?

What are they loaded with?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:28:01 AM EDT
Not in NY

They will kill your dog if found
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:28:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
Yes, but only if you sit on a shotgun shell.

Awww, man....
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:28:26 AM EDT
Some states actually try to prevent people from having loaded magazines on their person

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:28:28 AM EDT
Patriot Act
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:30:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chips:
Some states actually try to prevent people from having loaded magazines on their person

+1

IIRC I thinks it actually illigle for TX, but its never enforced. Depends on the state
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:32:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:

Originally Posted By chips:

+1

IIRC I thinks it actually illigle for TX, but its never enforced. Depends on the state

I can't find this anywhere in the Penal Code.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:32:36 AM EDT
Legal in Ill as long as its not locked into the gun. you can even have them in the same case. I was thinking in the same case wasnt until a person on the board set me straight.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:35:57 AM EDT
Never get legal advice from the internet
I'd ask a local cop
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:37:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
Legal in Ill as long as its not locked into the gun. you can even have them in the same case. I was thinking in the same case wasnt until a person on the board set me straight.

+1. Legal to possess and transport in IL, just not in the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:40:03 AM EDT
Legal in WA, you cannot transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:55:42 AM EDT
cocked, locked, and ready to rock here...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:59:39 AM EDT
In the F*ucked up state that I live in, No

They consider it a loaded weapon
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:00:39 AM EDT
No one would look twice at you in UT.

In fact my first thought was "what a silly question", then I remembered that not all were blessed with such freedom.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:04:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Legal in WA, you cannot transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle though.

I always thought that having a magazine "attatched" to a rifle (in Washington State) meant that it was loaded, eg: a Magcinch, RediMag, buttstock pouch, etc.

See the RCW linked here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:09:02 AM EDT
Then there's always the point of view that you should go about your business and not be concerned with unconstitutional laws.

Standing up for freedom is what America WAS (IS?) all about.

Going to prison would suck though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:09:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:10:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CWS1911:
In the F*ucked up state that I live in, No

They consider it a loaded weapon

You could throw it at someone and bruise them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:11:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Originally Posted By Rosenrot:
Getting ready to hit the range and don't want to un-load all my 30-rounders. Is it ok to travel with them loaded? TIA

In West Virginia?

Empty mags are illegal in West Virginia, they must be loaded by law!

It's OK with me, but you might want to check your local laws
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:12:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:

you left out the fact that the gun has to be either dissassembled or cable locked. (in the trunk too)
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:15:32 AM EDT
I live in Florida. I can do anything.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:21:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 10:22:21 AM EDT by ARMALITE-FAN]

Originally Posted By santanatwo:

you left out the fact that the gun has to be either dissassembled or cable locked. (in the trunk too)

No it doesnt. Cased and out of reach is all
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:23:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 10:27:25 AM EDT by Tango7]

Not here (yet) - Illinois Compiled Statues

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container
by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card;

As ARMALITE-FAN said, an intact gun needs to not be "immediately accessible" OR enclosed in a case. Thus, the development of "Illinois CCW" - carrying an unloaded pistol in a fanny pack, briefcase, or other container with a loaded magazine on your person. Even though the law doesn't require 2 of 3 conditions, anything visible will most likely net you a "disturbing the peace" charge.

And the FOID portion only applies to state residents - no matter what the guy at the gun store sez...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:24:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:25:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
I'd ask a local cop

Cause cops pass the bar in their states and are able to give qualified legal adivce
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:29:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paveway_:

I'd ask a local cop

Cause cops pass the bar in their states and are able to give qualified legal adivce

And the Illinois Compiled Statutes are so hard to research; and folks who live in the state and routinely transport firearms must have no clue either.

Note - ILDNR rules and regs are different, and may be where the "secured" part comes from. But in order to fall under their purview you have to be engaged in hunting activites AFAIK.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:35:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fsk1290:

Florida kicks ass.

You can just pay a lawyer $100 in S. Florida and he'll make your speeding ticket "disappear". That's just the tip of the iceberg. Love that place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:36:50 AM EDT
How sad that the question is even asked
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:37:46 AM EDT
Speculation is that here in MD-istan, a loaded mag = loaded gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:37:51 AM EDT
In Hawaii, a loaded magazine or clip constitutes a loaded weapon and jail time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:38:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the870isking:

Originally Posted By fsk1290:

Florida kicks ass.

You can just pay a lawyer $100 in S. Florida and he'll make your speeding ticket "disappear". That's just the tip of the iceberg. Love that place.

My XD got exposed at an outdoor concert and a security guard came over and said "hey, man, your shirt is stuck on top of your gun, please pull it back over"

Fuggin A. Find me a state where THAT happens.

Ok, maybe TX.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:38:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nf9648:
In Hawaii, a loaded magazine or clip constitutes a loaded weapon and jail time.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:39:25 AM EDT

I'd ask a local cop

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By atomicferret:
No one would look twice at you in UT.

In fact my first thought was "what a silly question", then I remembered that not all were blessed with such freedom.

You're right on both counts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:45:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 10:46:32 AM EDT by illini52]
edit for this being posted already...

Even in Illinois you can have loaded mags. Just not in the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:26:17 AM EDT

I'd ask a local cop

NEVER ask cops about gun laws. The vast majority just don't know, or are grossly misinformed.

There are websites for each state's laws. Look them up yourself.

Or go to your local library. They will have copies of your state's laws.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:48:36 AM EDT

I'd ask a local cop

I say that because
1)most everyone who replies to your question will be out of your state and have no idea what your local gun laws are.

2)that local cop you ask will be the one who most likely will be enforcing the law on YOU. regardless of what you "were told on the internet"
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:07:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rosenrot:

You mean a magazine, loaded with ammunition, but not inserted into a firearm?

Yes. Why wouldn't it be?

Some states may or may not let you place the loaded magazine in the same case as a firearm, but that's about the only issue.

What's the difference between a loaded magazine and a box of ammunition and a magazine? Unless its in the firearm, its not "ready to fire".

If I have a firearm with no magazine (like a single shot rifle or a revolver) and I have ammunition its the same as a loaded magazine not loaded in a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:10:48 PM EDT
You can have loaded mags in the firearm here. And a round in the chamber if it is a pistol (but not in a long gun).
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:12:19 PM EDT

I'd ask a local cop

You will still get as many different asnwers as there are local cops.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:15:29 PM EDT

I'dNever ask a local cop

They aren't reliable either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:23:57 PM EDT
Damn, alot of trust in local law enforcement here
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 12:45:43 PM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:03:30 PM EDT

No it doesnt. Cased and out of reach is all

New Hampshire is kind of weird: You can have a rifle or handgun laying across your lap, and you can have a pile of loaded magazines on the front passenger seat, but the magazine can't be inserted into the magwell. You can have a loaded handgun with a CCW permit, but no loaded rifle since it's a hunting law. I remember being on a moose hunt and one of the other guys had a rifle in one hand and a magazine in the other. The game warden made him open the bolt to prove there was no round in the chamber and we were on our way.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:05:55 PM EDT

I'd ask a local cop

I say that because
1)most everyone who replies to your question will be out of your state and have no idea what your local gun laws are.

2)that local cop you ask will be the one who most likely will be enforcing the law on YOU. regardless of what you "were told on the internet"

More FAIL.

The internet has copies of every state's laws.

Use google.

Cops don't know shit about the law.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:51:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rdblan2:
Speculation is that here in MD-istan, a loaded mag = loaded gun.

This is often repeated. The law only says that in MD rifles and shotguns must be unloaded. Handguns may not be transported at all unless to and from an organized or unorganized shoot, a place of business where authorized to carry, to or from a gun store, or between residences. Handguns also must be in a sealed container or flapped holster. Rifles and shotguns only need be unloaded and with none of the restrictions on what your business is while transporting them. There is no mention as to if the mags must be unloaded per the NRA's state by state law hand out or the MD State Police Web Site with links to state law.

I am serving in Iraq right now serving with the National Guard and we have County, DOD, and other police officers from MD and you're right that you should not get legal advice from Cops or the internet for that matter. They have very little info on gun laws but it would be up to their interpretation of your intent along with your attitude as to how they would proceed after learning of a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle. First, how would they ever know if you were pulled over for a minor traffic stop that you had one. Do you give consent to search? Remember, they won't ask until the original business for the stop is over and just politely ask if we are done here. Second, hedge you bets by using professional equipment stored in a professional manner such a discrete cases, twenty round mags as though not illegal I feel that since MD does not allow over twenty round mags to be sold in the state it only makes good sense.

Last, one must understand that anyone can be arrested at any time for just about any reason. It would be up to a judge to determine if a law was broken.

Just my .02
Top Top