Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/22/2003 8:20:05 AM EDT
I've got a 3,000 mile+ trip planned for this summer with days of 12 to 16 hours of driving planned. Since I will be driving more than the recommended milage on the oil through intense conditions, I was wondering if it's ok to switch to a synthetic oil for one oil change and then go back to regular? Or this this just asking for problems by having two comletely different types of in the same engine?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2003 8:29:57 AM EDT by ScrubJ]
No, it won't hurt. My question is how far are you actually driving? Long distances are not as hard on oil as short trips/stop and go driving. If you aren't going to exceed the manufacturers recommended distance, don't worry. This distance doesn't change with synthetics. OOPS!!! Just reread your post. I'd just stick with your regular oil. If you're using 5W-30 I MIGHT go up to 10W-30 just because.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:28:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:31:15 AM EDT
^^^^^^what he said...but ya gotta stick to it for now on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:34:06 AM EDT
FWIW, I run Mobil1 in my new vehicle, but my '90 Ranger with well over 100,000 miles got there w/o synthetics. I am a mechanic by trade, and have seen the insides of a LOT of engines. Most wear is caused by lack of changes/abuse than by use of dino oil. I'd rather see you change your oil every 3000-5000 miles and use dino oil than try to stretch you intervals by using synthetics.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:29:09 AM EDT
Also you should remember that synthetics have more detergent in them. so if you are putting in a high milage engine, you may cause some leaks to pop up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:37:22 PM EDT
For about $20 and 20 minutes of your time, you could get someone out of town on your trip to change the oil. The difference in price between synthetic and regular oil would pay for much of that cost.z
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:11:49 PM EDT
I run synthetic from Dec-Mar as I live in a cold climate and synthetic oil doesn't thicken in cold. Run regular oil rest of the year. Never had a problem swapping back to normal oil in the spring.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: Switch to synthetic and stay with it.
View Quote
I got to agree 100% with Wolfpack
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:47:05 PM EDT
Keep track of the level and stick with your regular oil. Long days of steady running are better than start-stop. Watch your heat and cooling system, that's where you morelikely will find a problem. Check your belts and hoses. If you have a lees tahn common or older vehicle, spears of unique rubber may be worth getting rather than waiting a few days in West BFE waiting for a replacement. (Coming from a guy who just drove the Mommamobile (88 Caprice Wagon) from So Cal to South Carolina via some back country to visit friends along the way.) the only thing I've ever had get flaky on long trips has been thermostats and hoses.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:58:54 AM EDT
I just bought a truck with 120k miles on it. Should I switch to synthetic? I run Mobil-1 in my car but the car has low milage. GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:04:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: Switch to synthetic and stay with it.
View Quote
Another vote for Synth. Put in Mobil 1, and keep with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:16:20 AM EDT
Switch to synthetic... Drag motors love the stuff... Engine temps, and timeslips prove it...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:30:09 AM EDT
The vehicle that I have is a 2000 Dodge Dakota with 30,000 miles on it. I'm not too worried about the truck breaking down. I just know that heat is a major factor in oil breaking down and it would seem that driving for 15 hours straight the oil would be exposed to the hotest temperature for the longest period of time. Does synthetic oil have any effect on gas milage? I'm expecting to fill up at least 10 times on this trip which would be about 180 gallons of fuel. Any other tips to improve my gas milage? If I could get 2mpg better, the end result would be one less tank of gas!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:52:49 AM EDT
A fellow I know has been involved in oil testing where they put it in a machine that shears it to break it down. He said that synthetics are better in extreme temperatures and do lower friction, but actually break down sooner than regular oil. I'd been using the stuff for 10 years, and after that conversation, I wondered, what is "synthetic" oil? Most things that we call synthetic (plastics, rayon, polyester, nylone, etc.) are petroleum-based products. What do they make it out of, if not crude oil?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:34 AM EDT
I use synthetic motor oil for my AR.
Top Top