Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 2:42:28 PM EDT
For a gate that will be outdoors and exposed to the elements, will it make a huge difference whether I apply a layer of primer before painting or paint directly?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:49:48 PM EDT
What type of wood?

The finish paint will cover better, appear more even and "stick" better if you apply a prime coat.

Now, is it necessary - No, But if you do it correctly you will prime it first.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:55:09 PM EDT
Any job worth doing's worth doing it right. (As my Dad used to say)
Yeh, hit it with a good primer first. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:56:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bmw20:
What type of wood?

The finish paint will cover better, appear more even and "stick" better if you apply a prime coat.

Now, is it necessary - No, But if you do it correctly you will prime it first.

I would prime it too. And back prime anything that is not on the face side of the wood that will be showing. Paint will stick better, you wont have to repaint as often (I friggin hate painting) and it will help seal out the elements. Are you using pressure treated wood? In my experience it does not paint well regardless of what you do, LOL

Hope this helps

J-

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:10:59 PM EDT
Thanks for all the quick replies! I believe it's cedar fence pieces and the 2x4's are probably oak or something. But I'll pick up another can of primer right now too then.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:43:00 PM EDT
Seal end grain with Minwax wood hardener.

Prime the wood.

Apply two coats of paint.

See the 'Wood engineering handbook' from the USDA Forest products lab.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:48:18 PM EDT
Prime

[/thread]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:56:18 PM EDT
YES
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:14:39 AM EDT
Your best results will be with a penetrating alkyd exterior primer, often referred to as a "long oil" primer. It's slow drying but it really soaks in. Be sure to pay special attention to the butt ends of any pieces. That's where the water wicks into the wood if unprotected. Top coat to suit. A quality latex exterior semi-gloss would be my choice for your application.
FWIW
YMMV
Top Top