Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:17:12 AM EDT
...sell a long gun face to face in adjoining states? No FFL involved?

Like SC / NC.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:19:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By garandman:

Like SC / NC.

No

All interstate transfers require some form of FFL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:21:29 AM EDT

Like SC / NC.

Technically, it is illegal.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:21:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DavidC:

Like SC / NC.

No

All interstate transfers require some form of FFL.

So is the guy from Charlotte NC offerring to buy my rifle a BATF??

I don't often sell rifles, but every time I do, I get someone from Charlotte NC trying to buy it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:22:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Like SC / NC.

Anyone have a citation of Federal law? I've heard it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Like SC / NC.

Anyone have a citation of Federal law? I've heard it both ways.

Dont do it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:26:28 AM EDT

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the
purchaser's own state? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:32 AM EDT
You had better just give it to me for safe keeping. I'll protect you from having to make such a decision.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:43:00 AM EDT
These laws would really suck for someone who lives in Rhode island!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:46:35 AM EDT
No! It's not even legal to ask that question!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:21 AM EDT
Probably your simplest solution would be to transfer the rifle to their out-of-state FFL by mailing it............but a 4473 is still mandatory for interstate transfers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:
You had better just give it to me for safe keeping. I'll protect you from having to make such a decision.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I get it! you will keep his rifle....

even your avatar is stupid...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:56:20 AM EDT
It's not that long of a drive!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:58:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:

...to the Federal pen for my wife to visit me????

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:02:44 AM EDT

...to the Federal pen for my wife to visit me????

???

You can't do a face to face sale in another state?

Now THAT I didn't know. My bad!

(now I'm scratching my head- what if you go to, say, a big gun show in, say, Ohio- what do you do then?)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT

You can't do a face to face sale in another state?

Now THAT I didn't know. My bad!

(now I'm scratching my head- what if you go to, say, a big gun show in, say, Ohio- what do you do then?)

Well, you just CAN'T do Private-Party transfers at the show. Or, you could pay the guy and have him ship it back to your FFL in your home state, that's what you do if you find a deal you just Can't resist. More hassle but it works. Alternatively, you can find an FFL at the Gun Show who will do a 2 way transfer from the original owner to the FFL, then from the FFL to you (for long guns only!!).

If you want to buy from an FFL who has a table at the Gun Show, go right ahead (long guns only!!) as long as neither Ohio nor your Home State have any State Laws that restrict that. (Some states still have Contiguous State Purchase laws on their books, I believe NY is one, so you can only buy long guns in Contiguous states because of the State Law, even though the Federal Law allows it in all states now. Whichever is MORE restrictive applies.)

Was that murky enough?href=www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm should be quick to mind for any questions such as this.

Futuristic
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:51:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Futuristic:
*snip*

Thanks for the info Futuristic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:53:20 AM EDT
How many states even require background check for face to face private transfers? If not then how is the burden of proof on the seller to determine where the buyer lives. Everytime you go across a state boarder to buy cig's or booze and bring it back and you get caught its not the seller's fault, its YOUR fault. I'd say the same applies, its the buyers problem.

How can ATF approve you knew he lived out of state? What if he "moved" for a night at a hotel room? This is all extremely legally nebulous.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 9:04:14 AM EDT by garandman]

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:
How many states even require background check for face to face private transfers? If not then how is the burden of proof on the seller to determine where the buyer lives. Everytime you go across a state boarder to buy cig's or booze and bring it back and you get caught its not the seller's fault, its YOUR fault. I'd say the same applies, its the buyers problem.

How can ATF approve you knew he lived out of state? What if he "moved" for a night at a hotel room? This is all extremely legally nebulous.

In this case the guy told me he was from CHarlotte.

Which is why I suspect this is a trap.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:47 AM EDT

Just how old are you?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:04:58 AM EDT

In this case the guy told me he was from CHarlotte.

Which is why I suspect this is a trap.

If he's driving down to your town you can take him to your local FFL/gunshop and have them transfer the gun to him. You give it to them, they log it in, and then log it out to him after the 4473 et. al. A fee would likely be charged, much like if you sent it to his favorite gunshop in whichever state he lived in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:37:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
If he's driving down to your town you can take him to your local FFL/gunshop and have them transfer the gun to him. You give it to them, they log it in, and then log it out to him after the 4473 et. al. A fee would likely be charged, much like if you sent it to his favorite gunshop in whichever state he lived in.

I suggested that.

I'm waiting for his response.

Top Top