Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2004 6:56:26 PM EST
...to have a driver's license from two or more states?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:30 PM EST
It's a trap!!! Hell I dunno...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:58:36 PM EST
I always had to surrender mine after moving. I guess there's an answer in there somewhere....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:59:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:01:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:01:50 PM EST by Zaphod]
I ask because I may be moving to a state that requires a permit to buy handguns, but I will still be a resident of a state where no such restriction exists.

I want to be able to buy guns where I'll be living AND back home.

In other words, if I own property in two states, how can I purchase firearms in both, or can I?

For those of you trying to keep track of where I'm going to end up, don't bother! I'm not sure the Lord Himself knows at this point!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:02:28 PM EST
Florida law expressly requires the surrender of foreign state DLs when getting a Fla. DL. It is a state law issue. AFAIK the penalty is cancellation of the new DL if they find out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:02:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:03:24 PM EST
I can't answer the legal question.

However, when my CT DL was getting close to expiring, I turned it into the DMV in HI and I got a HI DL. After getting out of the service, I went to the CT DMV to get a new DL. CT still had me in their system as being issued a DL. I gave them my old operator number and issued a dupe DL. The clerk said it was like I never turned in my CT DL and held two licenses at the same time. FWIW...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:03:58 PM EST
Of course, I could just buy whatever I want in Florida and then bring it home with me....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:04:26 PM EST
New Mexico used to give a license to ANYONE. Most cops know that is a red flag.

A multiple DUI past co-worker had a NM license a few years back.

Hopefully that is under control now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:55 PM EST
Yeah...if you are considering it for gun reasons, I would be very careful. If it is for car reasons...well, everyone has little "cheats" when it comes to cars (BS like emissions check).
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:10:27 PM EST
you know my old man used to tell me, before he left this sh@#ty world, that it was legal to have 2 liscences in the state of florida, as long as you dont go to the other state and flash your florida liscense. hehe. but id really trust a fsp's opinion or the floridas drivers handbook over my fathers opinion
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:35 PM EST
Okay, here we go:

I am a resident of Florida, where just about anything goes gun-wise provided you've got a clean record.

I MAY be moving to North Carolina (assuming the Texas thing doesn't go through as planned). North Carolina requires you to get a permit for every pistol you buy.

I don't like that, but neither do I like having to haul ass to Florida for my toys.

Also, I refuse to register my vehicle outside of Florida because a) I have my vanity plates, and b) because Florida is one of the few states that DON'T make you wallpaper your windshield with BS stickers showing you gave the .gov their cut of YOUR money that year.

So I'm trying to find a balance, here.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:51 PM EST
also he told me that back in 1989.....laws have changed since i was in florida
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:16:41 PM EST
geesh...im glad i never moved to nc.....if i did....i would have kept my florida drivers license, and lie about where i live everytime i got pulled over. i did that for years in oregon......if only i knew that i was eligable for nfa items .
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:23:18 PM EST
I know if you cross the border dont show them your ID then your driver license, they ask why you have both.

Happened to someone I know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:24:48 PM EST
You only have one primary residence, where you reside the majority of your time. Even if you own multiple pieces of real estate, you still only have one primary residence.

Substituting a secondary or tertiary residence on a 4473 for the primary residence is perjury, and subject to all legal consequences as such.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:28:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:29:49 PM EST by AZ-K9]
It is possible, but not for long. All states DMV's/MVD's are interconnected and regulary share information. When you obtain a license in one state, the state you currently have a license issued in is notified of the new license and they prompty cancel your old one. This can take some time to occur, however.

And, if you were to show a cancelled license to a dealer that still showed on it's face to be current, there is no reason why the dealer wouldn't sell to you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:33:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:39:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:41:41 PM EST
dont think so

unless you have just moved or the other onte is expiered.......
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:43:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Florida law expressly requires the surrender of foreign state DLs when getting a Fla. DL. It is a state law issue. AFAIK the penalty is cancellation of the new DL if they find out.

FL can also issue DL's that are valid in FL only thereby allowing residents of other states to keep their state's DL's as their primary license.

trust me, I know.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:54:08 PM EST
Papers Please? Fuck this "Photo ID" garbage anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:56:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:59:23 PM EST by Garand_Shooter]
Don't sweat the purchase permit thing here, its not as bad as it is made out to be in most counties. In a few the sheriff makes the proccess difficult however.

In my county, I walk in, and walk out 5 minutes later with a handfull of permits that are valid for 2 years. One good thing about em is they take the place of the NICS check, so if your at a gun show you don't have to worry about a delay or the system being down.... I've been there done that.

What county or area? I can tell ya what that counties requirements are.

BTW, if you are coming to western NC, ditch those Florida plates or you will never fit in.... too many halfbacks have already ruined your states reputation here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:57:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:58:28 PM EST by Moof]

Originally Posted By Paul:

Next you're going to tell me I can't have license plates for my truck from a half a dozen states.

Amateur. I've got 3 from different consulates.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:16:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

I did till I cut one up. Never got in trouble, had two cause one had me unit address and the other one had my home of record address. When I came back across the border from the clubs in Mexico, I would show customs my HOR DL so i could claim I went to school there. If I used my unit addy, I would of gotten into a lot of trouble since it was a violation of a general order to be over there,
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:25:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By DsrtEgl50:
You only have one primary residence, where you reside the majority of your time. Even if you own multiple pieces of real estate, you still only have one primary residence.

Substituting a secondary or tertiary residence on a 4473 for the primary residence is perjury, and subject to all legal consequences as such.

Jonathan

Not entirely true.

While in the military, I was able to purchase firearms in the state in which I was living with my Florida DL and a utility bill showing my local address.

Don't know if you can STILL do that, but this was as "recent" as 1996, and in Virginia.

Hell, I once used my BOQ key as proof I was stationed there!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:27:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
If you move somewhere else you are gonna get nabbed, for not changing your license and your vehicle's registration over, plus in any state the PoPo's always give tickets no warnings to out of town folks. Good for the local economy, plus you won't be able to vote, Easy thing would be not to move.

There is no law that would require me to register my vehicle in the state where I reside if I own property in another state.

As for out-of-town tickets, that's probably true, but not a concern as I tend not to break the law much!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:43:28 AM EST

I MAY be moving to North Carolina (assuming the Texas thing doesn't go through as planned). North Carolina requires you to get a permit for every pistol you buy.

I don't like that, but neither do I like having to haul ass to Florida for my toys.

Also, I refuse to register my vehicle outside of Florida because a) I have my vanity plates, and b) because Florida is one of the few states that DON'T make you wallpaper your windshield with BS stickers showing you gave the .gov their cut of YOUR money that year.

Almost every state considers you a resident IF you evidence intent to reside there. Things like getting a permanent job, renting or buying a home that is occupied X % of the time, and such are almost always codified in state law as evidence of residency.

If you meet NC's residency statutory definitions, you will most definitely be required by their state law to obtain both a drivers license and car registration, and pay income tax (if such a state collects tax). And if NC requires that you surrender any DLs yopu may have in order to get theirs', well, you'll have to give it up.

You could blow all that off, but it might make a traffic stop a much more complicated ordeal than just getting a ticket for going too fast.

I've moved twice now to two different states since I left the .nav, so I'm pretty familiar with the drill.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:47:13 AM EST

There is no law that would require me to register my vehicle in the state where I reside if I own property in another state.

Your vehicle has to be registered in the state that is your primary residence. Some people get pretty crafty at it by moving seasonally, but states have laws describing what actions and criteria they consider to be residency. If you meet their definition, they will want their car and income tax, and will get nasty if they catch you denying it to them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:54:50 AM EST

I ask because I may be moving to a state that requires a permit to buy handguns, but I will still be a resident of a state where no such restriction exists.

In other words, if I own property in two states, how can I purchase firearms in both, or can I?

For those of you trying to keep track of where I'm going to end up, don't bother! I'm not sure the Lord Himself knows at this point!

More than 1 DL is a crime in all 50 States, IIRC it cam about from USDOT pressure, because CDL holders were getting multiple DL's and racking up a bunch of traffic violations, while keeping their primary DL clean.

Perhaps a state issued ID card in your secondary state of residence, is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:13:31 AM EST

Jonathan

Not entirely true.

While in the military, I was able to purchase firearms in the state in which I was living with my Florida DL and a utility bill showing my local address.

Don't know if you can STILL do that, but this was as "recent" as 1996, and in Virginia.

I wasn't debating whether you are able to do it or not. Many people are able to do things that are against the law, but at the end of the day... it's still against the law.

From your intent stated earlier, you are wanting to do something that constitutes perjury. Perjury is a clearly defined crime. I just thought you should know that the actions of which you expressed intent are not legal.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:43:05 AM EST

From your intent stated earlier, you are wanting to do something that constitutes perjury.

Hold it right there, Tiger. I'm trying to find a way to operate WITHIN the law, not BREAK it. You misunderstood the purpose of my post.

I'm trying to find ways to keep those things I value (ability to buy firearm legally, keep my Florida tag, etc.) while staying within the law. Believe me, if I were out to BREAK the law, I wouldn't be posting it on the internet!

I'm not a Democrat, you know!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:01:34 AM EST
I'm in the military and a FL resident. I used to live in NC. To buy guns there you just fill out a form and the sherrif does a check and signs it. Since I was in the militay I just got a offical letterhead and typed out something for my CC to sign proving that i was assigned to NC. Took this and the check got 7 (IIRC) permits good for 3 years and proceeded to buy guns. You can just take a bill/or rental agreement proving you live there and it will work, or it used to in 01. HTH
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:03:32 AM EST

No, I believe that would not be legal. You can only buy hanguns in your state of primary residence.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:08:07 AM EST

Jonathan

Not entirely true.

There is an exception for active duty personnel. You needed to be stationed in that state with a copy of your orders as proof. Then you needed you DL from your home state to purchase the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:54:25 AM EST

Okay, here we go:

I am a resident of Florida, where just about anything goes gun-wise provided you've got a clean record.

No, it's not legal to posess two DL's. The one with the most current issue date is the legal one. Most states require you to update your license if you move around the block. Registering your car is a little different. You will have to keep a FL insurance policy if you maintain your FL plates.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:23:58 AM EST

Not any more. That rule came into effect back under Reagan because so many truckers had multiple licenses to spread their violations around on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:50:49 AM EST

Jonathan

It can be perfectly legal. I live in California most of the year but live in Arizona from mid-November until the end of March. I confirmed with the BATF that while living in Arizona, I was a resident for the purpose of purchasing firearms. I have an Arizona ID card with my Arizona residence. I also have a car registered in Arizona that stays in the state. In the 3 years I have been doing this, I only purchased 1 firearm in Arizona. Since it was a legal firearm in California, the only thing I gained was skipping the 10 day wait.

I was also told by the BATF that weekend trips to Arizona didn't count during the period California was my primary residence (April-mid Nov).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:31:59 PM EST
What part of NC anyway?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:38:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By racer934:
I can't answer the legal question.

However, when my CT DL was getting close to expiring, I turned it into the DMV in HI and I got a HI DL. After getting out of the service, I went to the CT DMV to get a new DL. CT still had me in their system as being issued a DL. I gave them my old operator number and issued a dupe DL. The clerk said it was like I never turned in my CT DL and held two licenses at the same time. FWIW...

That happened to me in VA...I spent a summer in Los Angeles, and had a CA DL...needed it to get auto insurance...when I got back to VA, it was like I never left...they gave me another VA license no hassle...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:54:11 PM EST
Zapohd, unless you are in the military, you will HAVE to become a NC resident if you are moving there for a job, or they can get you for tax evasion, because you will spend the majority of your time in NC.
You will become a resident of NC, and will have to get an NC DL, register your car in NC, pay taxes in NC, and get permits to buy handguns.

My wife had to become an NC resident when she moved to NC and got a job, even though I maintained my FL residency, even though I hadn't resided in FL since I was 16.

I got my FL DL when I was 16(1986), and had to surrender it when my dad got stationed in VA in 1997. Lived in VA for 3 years before I joined the Corps, and renewed my FL DL when I was in Japan in 1992!

Got a Fl DL without a picture, and renewed it once while I was in, still with no picture. Of course, I had to have a photo ID to verify the DL, but my .mil ID worked for that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:59:05 PM EST
When stopped by an occifer, he spotted my DL from another state while I was retrieving the current one. He confiscated it and my dog is fine too!

I served on a Federal Jury a couple of months ago where the perp had kept his IN CCW though he moved to IL. He used it to buy guns (5-9 per week) for IL gang bangers while supporting his heroin habit. He has a new boyfriend ..or2...or3.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:09:36 PM EST

Zaphod, I can't answer the question since I am not sure which state you are talking about, but I think you would hve to reference that state's legal definition of "domicile" regarding "intent to remain." If you just reside there, you may not have to surrender the license.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:49:22 PM EST

North Carolina requires you to get a permit for every pistol you buy.

Get a concealed carry permit and you won't have that problem.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:51:50 PM EST
After you retire you are going to be giving the Kalifornication DMV some money Paul.
Washington State is calling.....

Originally Posted By Paul:
You're suppose to have just one?

I've got a few to turn in then

Next you're going to tell me I can't have license plates for my truck from a half a dozen states.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:02:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
I'm in the military and a FL resident. I used to live in NC. To buy guns there you just fill out a form and the sherrif does a check and signs it. Since I was in the militay I just got a offical letterhead and typed out something for my CC to sign proving that i was assigned to NC. Took this and the check got 7 (IIRC) permits good for 3 years and proceeded to buy guns. You can just take a bill/or rental agreement proving you live there and it will work, or it used to in 01. HTH

When I was stationed there in the early 90s you also need an affidavit from another person stating that you were of good character. Mostly it was to keep black folks from buying guns to protect themselves. The crazyasses were having KKK membership marches back in them little ass towns back in the coastal pine swamps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:07:45 PM EST

Okay, here we go:

i assume you are going to get a NC CWP? if so, you don't have to get the permits, CWP holders don't need them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:42:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By billparadise:

North Carolina requires you to get a permit for every pistol you buy.

Get a concealed carry permit and you won't have that problem.

That certainly changes things for the better...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:24:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 5:26:35 PM EST by M4]

Here in Florida, we have a LOT of N.E. liberals that come here in the winter and are registered, and vote in 2 states. Why should 2 drivers licenses be some sort of problem when a felony like that doesn't slow'em down?

The good news is that they're largely too fuckin' stupid to figure out the greatest intellectual maze, known as the "ballot" and thousands "claim" to have been duped in to voting for Pat Buchanon instead of algore.

The bad news is they're the most obnoxious, self absorbed pricks behind the wheel of a car you could POSSIBLY imagine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top