Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2005 9:05:26 AM EDT
I am writing to my asswipe Senator DeWine, and wish to get it right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I would capitalize the "C".
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Always capitalized when used in reference to the U.S. Constitution.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Capitalised when referring to any country's constitution, I would submit. As a name, it's a proper noun and thus capitalised by default.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Always capitalized when used in reference to the U.S. Constitution.

Correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on the context:

1) "... gun control violates the U.S. Constitution !"

2) "...despite my cast-iron constitution, I still feel like I'm going to puke my guts up whenever I see your ugly face !"
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
what about "Second Amendment"?
Same thing?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Senator Mike DeWine March 17, 2005
140 Russell Senate Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2315
Fax:  (202) 224-6519

The Honorable Mike DeWine,

I wish to address your continued support for an “Assault Weapons” Ban.    It is very frustrating to continually face erosion of freedom in this country.  Our Founding Fathers knew true government oppression like we have never had to face in this country.  They knew that government itself is not corrupt, but that the people who run governments are not perfect, and corruption is always a possibility, if not kept in check.   The earliest Americans came to this country to escape oppressive governments.  With this sort of history, how can you infer that they meant for the type of regulations that are currently in place, and the type that you are trying to pass?  The second amendment is one of the simplest amendments in the constitution.  It does not leave a lot of room for the Federal Government to “infringe”.

There is no impending “need” for me to own any particular type of weapon.  But that “right” to own a weapon is one that I cherish, and wish to see preserved.  There is a movement in this country to ban certain types of weapons, and then others, and then others.  At what point will it stop?  Will we only be permitted to own .22 rifles and pistols, if gun control activists get their way?  You have chosen to side with Diane Feinstein in this fight.  She has been quoted as saying she would like to see all guns banned, if she could make it happen.  She will settle for a ban of the “scariest” looking guns, for now, but what next?

As Ohio's Senator, you should be aware that approximately 45,500 Ohio citizens have applied for and been granted concealed handgun licenses, with not one of those persons committing a crime with a gun, nor becoming a victim while carrying.  It is unreasonable to go after legal gun owners, who go out of their way to obey overbearing gun laws, in an effort to maintain their right to own guns.  After all, it is not legal to murder, yet every time someone uses a military patterned rifle to commit a crime, they are breaking the law by using a gun to commit a crime.  It is fallacy to believe that they would use a gun to commit a crime, yet at the same time, follow the law and only use guns from your “approved list”.

Please focus your efforts on more important issues (and Constitutional issues), such as getting President Bush's nominations pushed through, by breaking the Democrats logjam created by filibustering.  Please address Social Security. Continue to support the President in his fight to revolutionize the Middle East.  He is on track for greatness.  You should get on board.

Respectfully,

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Either way, I doubt he will give a tinkers cuss about what you have to say.

Agreed, but if I don't try, then he will never know how much I despise his views.
And I can't complain once it passes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
CAPITALIZE IT IF IT IS AN IMPORTANT DOCUMENT TO YOU>
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
"a constitution"
"The Constitution"
"The U.S. Constitution"
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"a constitution" a thing, one of many
"The Constitution" a perticular one
"The U.S. Constitution"

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
The general rule is that if it is a proper name it is capitalized.

Mother went shopping.  (her name is Mother)
Jimmy's mother went shopping.  (she is a mother, but her name is not identified as such)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top