Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:03:40 PM EDT
I have a 2 stroke jet ski that I will be winterizing in the next 4-6 weeks (weather depending) and I need to know if it is OK to put fuel stabilizer in the tank to help it last until next season.

Any other advice would be appreciated as this is my first time winterizing a boat.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I do that for my weed eater.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Yes, it's ok....BUT....

I would rather suggest that you put the additive in the fuel, run the engine for a short bit to get it inside the system, then run the carbs out of fuel or drain them.  This will keep the nasty gas from making all that nice varnish inside your carbs.

I would also suggest making sure you drain all of the water from the vehicle and add a little coolant if you feel it might have a chance of freezing.

Pull the spark plugs out and get some "Fogging oil" and spray it into each cylinder, then re-install the plugs.   This will keep the cylinders from rusting inside and the fogging oil will not hamper the spark plugs from firing next spring when you decide to start it back up. (Most rec sport dealers will have the can of fogging oil)

Get yourself a cheap "battery tender" (even the $35.00 model will suffice)(can be bought at batteries plus storees and most general hardware stores) and hook it to the battery and plug it in.  Most people whine that their recreational vehicles batteries only last 2 years.  This is because they let them sit during the off season and totally deplete.  Take care of your battery and it will take care of you.  I am on the 6th year of my motorcycle battery.

Hopefully this might help you make sure your toy will be ready to roll next spring.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would rather suggest that you put the additive in the fuel, run the engine for a short bit to get it inside the system, then run the carbs out of fuel or drain them.  This will keep the nasty gas from making all that nice varnish inside your carbs.

I would also suggest making sure you drain all of the water from the vehicle and add a little coolant if you feel it might have a chance of freezing.

Pull the spark plugs out and get some "Fogging oil" and spray it into each cylinder, then re-install the plugs.   This will keep the cylinders from rusting inside and the fogging oil will not hamper the spark plugs from firing next spring when you decide to start it back up. (Most rec sport dealers will have the can of fogging oil)

Get yourself a cheap "battery tender" (even the $35.00 model will suffice)(can be bought at batteries plus storees and most general hardware stores) and hook it to the battery and plug it in.  Most people whine that their recreational vehicles batteries only last 2 years.  This is because they let them sit during the off season and totally deplete.  Take care of your battery and it will take care of you.  I am on the 6th year of my motorcycle battery.

Hopefully this might help you make sure your toy will be ready to roll next spring.  

Great advice.

I planned of putting the stabilizer in the last tank of gas I run this year and then shutting off the gas supply and running the carbs dry like you had suggested.

The fogging oil is something I have never heard of before. Is it like a WD40 or better? Or is it called fogging oil?

The battery will be removed completely and put on a charger next spring for next season.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Stabil is fine as has been said.

Don't run the carbs 'til empty - bad juju on a 2 stroke.

It is actually called "fogging oil".

Get a battery tender and leave it on all winter.  Much better than removing it an sticking a charger on it in Spring.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem either, I put that stuff in my old 2-cycle lawn-mower engine. Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great advice.

I planned of putting the stabilizer in the last tank of gas I run this year and then shutting off the gas supply and running the carbs dry like you had suggested.

The fogging oil is something I have never heard of before. Is it like a WD40 or better? Or is it called fogging oil?

The battery will be removed completely and put on a charger next spring for next season.

Thank you.

Fogging oil comes in a can like a paint spray can.  It usually has one of those little plastic straws with it as well.  All you need to do is pull the plugs, and spray a liberal amount in each cylinder.  Directions are usually printed on the outside of the can.  Put the plugs back in and you will be ready for a rust free cylinder winter.  The Fogging Oil can be found at any motorsport dealer usually.  It doesn't matter if you use Yamaha oil in your Ski-doo, it's all the same stuff.  Buy what is close and convienient to you.

As far as not running the carbs out of gas....2-stroke engines can cause damage if RUN lean.  The oil is mixed with the fuel on a 2-stroke to lubricate the bearings in the crankcase and the rings on the pistons...this is why you need to have oil and fuel mixed (if you do it or the engine mixes it by itself).  If you starve it of gas, you can starve it of lubrication as well.  The point here is that if it "runs" lean.  Running it out of gas is not a continuous "run" time and will not harm anything.  If you are scared of running it out of gas, then look for a drain plug in the carb float bowls to take out and drain the carbs, -or- remove the bowl itself if there is no drain in it.  You really don't want to leave fuel in them over long periods of time.   Gas actually does "spoil".  It breaks down and leaves messes behind.  It can turn to varnish or leave gel substances behind.  You don't want that in your carbs.  You may not drain them and it may start fine next spring...and then maybe again the following spring...and then the 3rd time....time for carb overhaul to remove all the crud that has been forming itself inside.

I work in the vehicle industry, both a an auto dealer and a rec sports dealer.  A little maintenance now is better than a big repair later.  

BTW, there is a Cars & Bikes forum now for all sorts of neat stuff like this too.

Have fun taking pride in your toy!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top