Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 6:47:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a scholar, but I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  It is not a word, but it is used plenty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just bitch about inflammable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well,,, actually it is a word but it is listed at nonstandard. Sorry Larryg.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Only if your da prez.![:D]

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm from Alabama, if you want it to be a word, it is a word.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well,,, actually it is a word but it is listed at nonstandard. Sorry Larryg.
View Quote

Where do it say dat??
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary.

And don't start rambling about it being a leftest rag or something. It's the only big dictionary I have.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Well, it may be listed as a word, but classified as a corruption or colloquialism.

People of good breeding & education don't use it, and those who do should be spanked.  To me, it's worse than using "ain't" - I think most folks using "ain't" actually know better; those using "irregardless" are clueless.

The word "regardless" serves just fine.

Another common misusage that irritates me is the conditional phrase "If I was..." instead of the correct "If I were..."  Subjunctive!  Just recently, I busted my fancy liberal-arts Ph.D cousin on this one.

-Bill Wiese
The Grammar Police
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary.

And don't start rambling about it being a leftest rag or something. It's the only big dictionary I have.
View Quote

Damn leftist rag and furthermore...Oh, I forgot, you told me not to ramble about that.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it just one of those words they added just because people use it(albeit incorrectly?)

"DOH!" has also been added to the Oxford English Dictionary because it has entered popular vernacular.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Regardless if it is used regularly it is still not a word; if it were then it would be a double negative therefore making the statement the opposite of what is intended. As a side note there is an instance when two positive words combined make a negative statement.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure a guy like you will come up with something brouhaha. Just think about it a little more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Irregardless is common enough in speech in the U.S. that it has found its way into judicial opinions. The U.S. Supreme Court’s Chief Justice William Rehnquist "upbraided a lawyer who used irregardless, saying: "I feel bound to inform you there is no word irregardless in the English language. The word is regardless. Linguistic Fastidiousness is no less important in oral than written argument."
View Quote

[url]http://www.hfac.uh.edu/English/classes/GU4322/items/irregardless.html[/url]

It's a 'word', but people who use it are idiots.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
SDavid-

Nail.

Head.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't believe this is really a thread on a AR-15 forum. Well,,, irregardless of all the comments I guess it's okay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SDavid-

Nail.

Head.

- Robbie
View Quote

I don't get what you mean by that, I was thinking of something that a teenager would say when they don't believe what you are saying to them. (It also helps if you're surrounded by 1300 of them for six hours a day, 187 days a year.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]
He was telling SDavid that he hit the nail right on the head.

Either that or he wants to play with the head of SDavid's nail. Not sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Irregardless is common enough in speech in the U.S. that it has found its way into judicial opinions. The U.S. Supreme Court’s Chief Justice William Rehnquist "upbraided a lawyer who used irregardless, saying: "I feel bound to inform you there is no word irregardless in the English language. The word is regardless. Linguistic Fastidiousness is no less important in oral than written argument."
View Quote

[url]http://www.hfac.uh.edu/English/classes/GU4322/items/irregardless.html[/url]

It's a 'word', but people who use it are idiots.
View Quote

Amen. Good for Mr Rehnquist- a verbal bitch-slap in front of the whole SCOTUS- I wish I could have seen that....
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
retrodog- I get it now, he was writing about my statement not the side note... I be guting it now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Perhaps in time it will be
deirregulated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#24]
according to [url]www.dictionary.com[/url]

ir·re·gard·less (r-gärdls)
adv. Nonstandard
Regardless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why not just bitch about inflammable.
View Quote
What he said.  

However, there is a reason [i]inflammable[/i] is a valid word - its root.  From Merriam-Webster:

Etymology: French, from Medieval Latin [i]inflammabilis[/i], from Latin [i]inflammare[/i]
View Quote

[i]Irregardless[/i] doesn't have the same kind of paternity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I'am an english major. Irregardless iz opsolutlie knot a wird inn thy english languaje!!  [:0]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
How about aint.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Any combination of letters(symbols)is a word if you can pronounce it and give it meaning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top