Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 2:18:32 PM EDT
The thought of obtaining a FFL occurred to me today, but I don't know if it's a good idea or not. I see you need a $200 fee, fingerprints, BATF interviews, photographs, etc. I don't plan on opening a gun store, but being able to buy & sell firearms on the side, along with maybe doing some gunsmithing seems interesting. Being able to add to my own collection more conveniently is also appealing. Any thoughts, pro or con ?
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are just interested in personal collecting, no, it's not. A few years back the ATF began to discourage home based gun dealers. You'll now need a permanent place of business (which can still be your home) but it must be zoned for business etc... and you'll have to show this to the ATF. If you enjoy the wheeling and dealing aspect of firearms and are able to combine it with an existing business it could be worth it though. Bear in mind that there is not a large margin in gun sales and many dealers find a "niche" to improve sales.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you are open to spot checks. The Gestapo, I mean ATF, can come into your store at anytime and inspect and count everything. If your place of bussiness is your home, it can be searched from top to bottom, and no, you can't say no, and it's not illegal..you agree to this when you get a FFL.

You have to keep a "bound book" of any and all firearms that enter your inventory. IF you forget to log one, you are in trouble. You also have to keep all the yellow forms and turn them in when you close down.

If you want to take the burden..do it! It's hard..but..if you really want to do it..take a shot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, you are open to spot checks. The Gestapo, I mean ATF, can come into your store at anytime and inspect and count everything. If your place of bussiness is your home, it can be searched from top to bottom, and no, you can't say no, and it's not illegal..you agree to this when you get a FFL.

You have to keep a "bound book" of any and all firearms that enter your inventory. IF you forget to log one, you are in trouble. You also have to keep all the yellow forms and turn them in when you close down.

If you want to take the burden..do it! It's hard..but..if you really want to do it..take a shot.
View Quote

This is completely false.

You can be checked 4 times per year maximum...PERIOD.  2 of those may be "spot" checks which means they call you that morning and may visit any time that day during posted business hours.  2 of those checks are scheduled, they set an appointment.  You may go for years and years and never have a check at all.  They do not search your property top to bottom.  They check your bound book to make sure your keeping records.  They will check that book against what is on your shelf and maybe against 4473's.  You don not have to keep your private arms on those books but it's better not sell them out of the premisise that is licensed.

The ONLY thing that will keep you from getting home FFL is the zoning deal.  If you can get a variance, which may be harder in some places than others, you can get the license.  Buy one of those $20. kits you see in SGN and do and say the right things and you can get the license.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would not want them here anytime!
View Quote

Then rent a small office somewhere.  Or open a storefront.  Chances are they will never visit, but they are allowed 4 per yr. max.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, it is illegal to obtain an FFL to only further your personal collection. You will be asked this before it is granted to you and if you tell them this is what you are going to do then the application will be denied. If you lie about it you are committing a felony. You must actually be "in the business". I plan on obtaining my FFL and SOT within the next couple of years so that I can buy and sell machineguns. I am also planning on getting my manufacturers license so that I can make post samples/suppressors/SBRs etc.

I have heard that the inspections are really not that bad and that most of the time they just want to make sure that you are keeping the records correctly. Most of the experiences I have heard have been mostly pleasant and informative for the inspectee.

All of the horror stories about inspections that you hear do not seem to be the norm. There just isnt any reason for anyone to tell everybody that their inspection went smoothly.

Don't waste your money on those FFL kits in Shotgun News, all that you will get are all of the forms that they will give you for free at your local BATF office. If you are really considering it I would drop by there one day and ask them all of the questions that you can think of. That is, after all, what they are there for.

Good luck in your venture.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got my FFL and SOT. The ATF is only allowed one spot check a year during your business hours. Most ATF agents aren't JBT's their just regular people and I'm proud to call some of them friends, and if you knew what it costs me to make a M16 or 1919 you wouldn't ask "is it worth it". John
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
And Stens and RPDs and real 14.5" barrel M4s, DIAS by the dozen. Half price DS keeper MP5s, cheap suppressors, $2 lightning links. I can think of lots of stuff that would make it worth it. Plus I would be making a little money doing something I enjoy. As soon as I get the time, Im all about it.

Michael
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
What does it cost to make an m-16??   I've seen post may samples selling for $700. and sometimes less.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a milling machine it would cost you the same amount of money to build an M16 as it would any AR15. A post sample is exactly what you would be building. If you wanted to build something like an older A1 you could get a cheap upper and probably put one together for $400-450. Along with 45min on the milling machine if you take your time. It would be easier to build a M16 receiver than a DIAS. That is why you never see dealer sample drop in sears for sale, it costs more to make them because of the machining time.

You could build stens for less than $150. The price of the parts kit and a piece of pipe.

Lightning link- about 15 min with a piece of a saw blade some tin snips and a file for fitting.

1919s for about $400 or so and a couple of hours finishing up the sideplate.

The list goes on and on....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top