Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 7:01:23 AM EDT

Just curious.

Prices have jumped here aproximately $.70/gallon in the past 18 months.  Most of that was in the past two months.  

Are you guys getting more calls about gasoline theft at the pumps?  Are tankers getting hijacked or emptied, or anything like that?  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
People can pump before they pay here and the theft has been on the rise.  I think we are also seeing a rise in employee gas theft and theft from friends of the employees.  They call and report a gas drive off but don't have a license plate or even a vehicle description and of course there are no cameras.  I suspect they are filling their tanks and then call us to report a gas drive off.  Haven't been able to prove it though since I have more important things to do.

Wish our stations would require you to pump before you pay.  It would save them money and save us time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Pay before you pump will become mandatory at all stations, very soon. IMHO
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll put it this way not to violate and CoC: I know one guy who will be looking for "targets of opportunity" when it gets above $3.00 per gallon. Some of the people out here just can't afford to take much more of a beating. I drive a truck with a 454ci engine and I'm getting mighty frustrated with these prices. $2.49 per gallon here in the Tulsa area and it cost me $45.70 to fill up one of my two tanks today.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Philly there's always a scammer who will approach you after you swipe your card and tell you that the pump you're trying to use is out of order.  As soon as you move to the next pump, they're pumping gas on your credit card.  Another scam I've seen is where someone will approach you, offer to pump your gas, and wait until you drive off and pump more gas for themselves.  I can't go to a gas station in the city anymore without someone trying one of these two scams on me.  

I don't know if all gas stations do this, but the ones around here limit debit card transactions to $50.  Anything over that and you have to swipe your card a second time.  I guess they do this to prevent someone from pumping hundredes of dollars worth of gas after you pull away without closing the sale.

BTW:  Sorry, I just noticed I was in the JBT forum.  I'm not a cop, but the info should still be relevant.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

BTW:  Sorry, I just noticed I was in the JBT forum.  I'm not a cop, but the info should still be relevant.

Thanks for the info scooter.  Actually the name of this forum is "Brothers of the Shield" and I believe its for LE, Fire and EMS.  Thanks for pointing it out in such a nice way.

BTW, gas theft is not really on the rise here.  Most all of the big name stations are requiring people to pay at the pump.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info scooter.  Actually the name of this forum is "Brothers of the Shield" and I believe its for LE, Fire and EMS.  Thanks for pointing it out in such a nice way.

BTW, gas theft is not really on the rise here.  Most all of the big name stations are requiring people to pay at the pump.

My apologies once again.  I just didn't want to type "brothers of the shield" so I typed JBT real quick.  If you knew me you would know that I meant nothing by it.  What's a scooter anyway?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
We just had something in the local news about 13 driveoffs in one day from one station. (?!!!!)  Seems a bit excessive, but possible, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Supposedly theft is up here in southeastern Virginia.

I haven't been stealing any more gas than I usually do, though.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Drive offs are up a little, fuel thefts are just beginning to be reported.   Ironically, we seem to be having a lot of truck stop employees calling in a theft - unknown description of the car had just stolen gas...hhhmmm makes you wonder.

I've also noticed that traffic (night time) has dropped dramatically.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Surprised it is no more than usual here so far. I just told an area manager of a local convenience store who was reporting a check forgery that it was time to "pay before pumping" or it will increase. There was much less traffic here this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah we have had a few in the last couple of weeks.  prices need to go down and NOW
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thefts here are through the roofs.  I oughta know, I work pt at a gas station.  BTW, don't count on prices going down anytime soon, if ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top