Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 9:30:15 PM EDT
I'd heard it's not good for them, but why?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
its something about the theobromine in the chocolate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know. My Lab gets chocolate and other sources of refined sugar from time to time (my 5 year old likes to share). It hasn't had an ill affect on her yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that though milk chocolate is not good for them only dark chocolate is actually toxic.  Don't risk it anyway dogs prefer meat to chocolate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Theobromine acts like caffeine in dogs; heart beats itself to death.

-hanko
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
my brother has 3 punk ass dogs that have attacked all manner of chocolates many times and not one has died yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. Dark chocolate's more toxic because there more of the theobromide alkaloid in it than milk chocolate.  Like there's more alcohol in brandy than wine.

Dogs' system cant handle it, they can die from it.  Even though it tastes good to them as it does to us.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The toxin in chocolate builds up in dogs they can't get rid of it to easy ,there is a chocolate that  is for dogs you can find it in a pet food/supply stores.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know. My Lab gets chocolate and other sources of refined sugar from time to time (my 5 year old likes to share). It hasn't had an ill affect on her yet.

If you bought gourmet 80% cacao dark chocolate and fed your dog three or four bars of it, she would probably die.  Commercial milk chocolate is very thin and weak.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
milk chocolate is not the best..but OK..

baking chocolate is a bitch on their system and theobromine is the culbrit.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you bought gourmet 80% cacao dark chocolate and fed your dog three or four bars of it, she would probably die.  Commercial milk chocolate is very thin and weak.

That gourmet stuff is crap. My dog likes Hershey's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a dog, ate a one of those huge giant herhsey kisses didnt do anything to it. Then again this dog eats everything. The bastard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That gourmet stuff is crap. My dog likes Hershey's.

Just understand she could die from it.  I'm sure dogs find chocolate as tasty as we do, just as they like bacon, steak, chicken, pork chops, etc etc.

My cat would turn its nose up at scraps of NY strip.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It's supposed to be , but you couldn’t prove it by one of my Goldens . A few years ago
he ate 3+ lbs of Double chocolate fudge after one of the kids left the top off the tin it was in .
The only ill effects were some wicked dog farts .... Not that dog farts are ever  good , but these had  extra potency
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Judging from past threads, many people have dogs who supposedly died from eating chocolate and other people feed their dog chocolate with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My Dog ate my wedding band once. I got it back. She also ate a $20.00 bill and a couple of Indians tickets. I didn't get either of those back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

warning:  momentary hijack

my cat decided tonight he likes watermelon, especially the juice  

now back to chocolate dogs
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
A little bit probably won't hurt them but mine have gotten sick from it. (carelesssness)
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I heard Cocoa powder is the wrost and Dark Chocolate.  

I need to know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

warning:  momentary hijack

my cat decided tonight he likes watermelon, especially the juice  

Mine goes nuts for red beans and rice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Judging from past threads, many people have dogs who supposedly died from eating chocolate and other people feed their dog chocolate with no ill effects.

There are different grades of chocolate with different concentrations of the harmful alkaloid.  The people feeding their dogs chocolate feed them crap mass produced milk chocolate with less than 30% cocao.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
From what i understand they can either OD from it by eating lots of it in one sitting or slowly be poisoned by it  over many years.

Either way i like my dogs to much to risk it.  If i give them anything sweet its the ultra suger coated crap that i eat like jolly ranchers and starburst's.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
From what i understand they can either OD from it by eating lots of it in one sitting or slowly be poisoned by it  over many years.

Either way i like my dogs to much to risk it.  If i give them anything sweet its the ultra suger coated crap that i eat like jolly ranchers and starburst's.

Another thing my dog ate, a entire tub of laffy taffy in a matter of a half hour. That dam dog
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Golden Retriever / Black Lab mix that ate a brick.  That was a $500 vet trip.  She also has eaten a very large tree limb that was another $300 vet trip.  She doesn't like warheads (or anything sour for that matter).  Oh yeah and she used to love Berber carpet.  She'll eat raw onion too.  The dog is psycho I tell ya.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a Golden Retriever / Black Lab mix that ate a brick.  That was a $500 vet trip.  She also has eaten a very large tree limb that was another $300 vet trip.  She doesn't like warheads (or anything sour for that matter).  Oh yeah and she used to love Berber carpet.  She'll eat raw onion too.  The dog is psycho I tell ya.

I had a lab, they love to eat, worst was when it was young.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#26]
It is toxic and can cause a fatality. Last time I took the dogs to the vet there was a chart that showed how much choclate it would be fataly toxic based on weight. From what I remember, I remember commenting that  my fat ass 70 lb Bulldog would have to eat a rediculous amount of chocolate to , um, to  O.D, - I had been under the impression chocolate was so toxic to dogs that a hershey miniature would be like a cyanyde capsule, not the case.

Heres a link to a story about a golden that ate 6 pounds of chocolate and candy, and survived -  

kabal57
I'd heard it's not good for them, but why?

link
Chocolate contains theobromine (a compound similar to caffeine) which is poisonous to dogs. A dose of 50 mg/lb can be fatal to a dog. Milk chocolate contains 45 mg of theobromine per ounce and unsweetened baking chocolate contains 400 mg per ounce. Just one ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate can kill a small breed dog. Theobromine when ingested by dogs causes release of epinephrine (adrenaline) which causes the heart to race and serious cardiac arrhythmias to develop. Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, hyperactivity followed by depression and coma, seizures, and death

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know where I could find a chart to find out how much is bad by weight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:33:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I could find a chart to find out how much is bad by weight.

Planning to off someone's pooch ?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top