Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:29:30 AM EDT
I am considering becoming a police officer in about a year. My only reservation is my size. I am approximately 5'8" tall and around 150 pounds, but I do have about a year to bulk up. I was just curious as to whether or not my build would be a problem for this particular line of work. Thankyou.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:53:01 AM EDT
No problem. In fact the smaller guys have less workers comp claims over the long term. I see many more of the big guys going out with back & knee injuries than the smaller guys. There are a couple reasons for that. First, the smaller guys simply put less wear & tear on those joints. But also the bigger guys, fealing their size gives them an advantage, are often taking chances that the smaller guys dont take. Such as the bigger guys get into brawls with suspects when the samller guys will find other ways to solve the problem. Ther "i can take him" factor blows out lots of shoulders, knees, and backs. Plus the broken fingers, hands, and wrists that come with brawling.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:04:31 AM EDT
I've got an inch and 10 pounds on you.

Most of the job is communication skills. Listen, speak and body language. Body language makes up about 80% of what your customers hear. Your mouth can get you into and out of a fight very quickly. Situationnal awareness has kept me safe so far. (Knock on wood). And using backup wisely.

When it's time to throw down. You must do so without any reservation. You can also go up the force continuim faster than a bigger officer. Example. Bad guy weighing in at 200 standing 6-0. You say to him. Your too big for me to mess with. So either put your hands behind your back or get hit with this here stick. If he wants to fight, he gets smacked. (that's an example, I don't advocate smacking people, other situational factors would need to be present)
Officer of the same size gets to roll around on the ground with Mr. Bad guy, or spray him with taco sauce(pepper spray).

Caliber press has a DVD called tactics for the smaller officer or something like that.

I would suggest doing a ridealong and asking to be paired with a smaller officer. Watch, listen and then ask intellegent questions. Tell them up front about your concerns.
Best of luck to you. It's an honorable profession.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:43:52 AM EDT
All good advice.

Copwork is a thinking man's (women's) game. Of course size can benefit you in some situations, but brains and solid tactics win the day.

We have a guy (who happens to be one of our arrest control gurus) that is about your size. You couldn't pay me to mess with him and I've got 6 inches and 60 lbs on him.

Just keep in shape.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:13:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 10:20:20 AM EDT by spcwes]
Yea, I think being physically strong at what ever size you’re at will help you as well. I know allot of guys your size as mentioned that I would rather not ever have to tangle with. You can be small and in good shape but not be strong so make sure you do some weight training. What all the above told you is the ideal advice and will serve you the best of all the advice given.

I made a decision after a couple of our guys go overpowered and could not eve deploy intermediate weapons and had the bad guys in both situations wanted to at will we would have been putting some of my brothers in the ground. My decision was that I no matter what my size and build wanted to be as strong as my body would permit.

You want to know a truly scary situation, mine was when I had a grown man got hold of me and there was nothing I could do short of trying to bite and stop toes but he was our ground fighting instructor so it did not come to that. The difference was like me being a dog and him being a bear, yea I might have been able to bite him but it would have been my ass and I knew it as did he. I was 6' and around 200lb for that scene.

I am now 250lb and make a regular habit of lifting every chance I get and strength training with hands on grappling and it has helped so much. Using your mind will avoid most all conflicts but you want to be as ready as you can be for that one that does not want to hear talk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:51:12 AM EDT
thanks gentlemen. this sounds like it's right up my alley.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:01:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 11:03:14 AM EDT by thesacrifice]
What they said.

I'm a "skinnier" guy but I do enjoy working out and keeping in shape. That said, your presence and verbal techniques are your best weapon. Remember, no arrest is mandatory (except Domestic Violence here in Washington) The, "I'll get them later attitude is hard to adopt."

If all else fails, you have the bat belt and hopefully some brothers/sisters enroute.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:19:51 PM EDT
Honestly I'm surprised that this question even came up. I'm 6', 280lbs and I was told that to pass a physical I must be under 200lbs. I always thaught you needed some mass to throw around, but in todays invironment they want little thin guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 2:57:24 PM EDT by spcwes]
Not every place wants skinny guys but a normal build at 6' and 200lbs is not by any means skinny. If you have a lot of muscle mass your weight will drop. Mine is starting to come off. It is too expensive pay too for food in the amounts I need for mass anyway. I do not mind shedding a little weight. I would like to be around 220 ro 230 and stay as thick as I am. I will say this, if your 6' and 280 and your muscle your going to be huge.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:01:04 PM EDT
Take a look at your Navy Seals. They are by no means huge on average... I really wouldn't want to be on their bad side no matter what size.
Top Top