just wondering.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What happend?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I think its because they have to put up with so many annoying people everyday. There must be a story behind this.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems to be, BUT, having run a retail biz  (camera shop/photolab) myself, full of asshole, know-it-all (but often ignorant) customers years ago, I'd say it's the same on both sides of the counter....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to Guns & Ammo in Memphis, did you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
No, but it takes years of work with clueless shoppers to prefect being a skilled asshole.

Let me guess you walked in with your Airsoft Atlanta t-shirt on and asked to look at the deagle behind the counter?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think its because they have to put up with so many annoying people everyday.

That would be my guess.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#8]
At Gander Mt............YES
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
just wondering.  hr

No, but it Helps.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
75% of gun store employees are know it all assholes.  

In other news, the sun came up this morning.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think its because they have to put up with so many annoying people everyday. There must be a story behind this.

That sounds like my job on a daily basis and I'm a nice guy.
If I acted like an ass to a client I'd be in the unemployement
line.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Is being a butthole a job requirement for gun stores?  

No, but most gun stores have excellent training programs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No, but it takes years of work with clueless shoppers to prefect being a skilled asshole.

Let me guess you walked in with your Airsoft Atlanta t-shirt on and asked to look at the deagle behind the counter?

This happened to you?!!?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
They are salesmen, like any retail place... Most know jack shit about firearms, except what they read in the catalog. The ones who work there and know about firearms (really know about firearms) are sick of the same questions and get a little bitter.
I get fairly testie when I fill in, because people want to argue about shit with me... Why did you ask my advice and then start shit with me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 I get fairly testie when I fill in, because people want to argue about shit with me... Why did you ask my advice and then start shit with me.

Ditto
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are salesmen, like any retail place... Most know jack shit about firearms,

Unless of course they are one of those ex SEAL guys who work in retail...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I will not even go into the local gun store anymore, and no i did not ask a bunch of stupid questions,they are just rude.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#19]
There's about 10 "Gun Stores" within reasonable driving distance from my house.
There's only 1 where the employees are nice.  Guess which one I go to.  I may be
lucky to have found the only one in the United States for all I know.  The worst I've
ever been to is called "Dongs", that's right "Dongs".  The guys in there were a great
bunch of a@@holes and their prices are higher.  Maybe they have a great group of
guys in there now, oh, wait I'll never know because I won't go back!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I went to both of the local shops today, I made a payment on a MAK-90 at one, then they had the nerve to make me a good deal on some AK mags!

Then I went to the other shop..............they were closed!  How can they take my money if they're closed?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]
check out the post from Esse's wife at www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=217687
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#22]

In my area there are about 3 out of ten shops that have some real a-holes that work the counter. I buy mainly from a good friend of mine who is a kitchen table dealer who will  usually sell to me at his cost.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I've only been to a couple of the gun stroes in the area.  One is cool (Bullseye), where I've bought three guns since moving here, the other seems to have nothing but stuck up employees there.  One guy there was ok, but another just irritated me.  Nice prices, but not worth the attitude IMO.

When I lived in Arlington then Alexandria, Virginia the stores there I went to were pretty decent (Gilbert's, the place in Woodbridge, and the pawnshop in Arlington).  The old guy who ran the gun counter at the pawnshop was one of those crusty old guys, stuck in his ways and all, but still decent.  Hell he gave me some good deals, like my last gun I bought there, a Ruger GP100 for only $25 over their cost.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Go to Guns & Ammo in Memphis, did you?

ever work the volume they do and you get pretty jaded as well
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually, the people at my local Sportsman's Warehouse are pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I demanded and fully expected to get my firearms for the wholesale price I see in Shotgun News.  Heck, I'll even throw in $2.50 for shipping and a $5.00 tip.   That $5.00 PURE PROFIT!!

And the guy behind the counter still laughed at me.

What a freakin' jerk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
On the flip side...

Tried to order SS Sig P220 through gun store, wouldn't do it. Ordered it through wholesaler and had the gun store do a $25 transfer.

Tried to order Arsenal AK through same store, wouldn't do it.

Tried to get night sights installed for my G19, they wanted 4 week turnaround, and I already had the sights in my hand. WTF?

Shame on me for not buying one of their off the shelf guns...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]
There is one single gunshop in the town I am going to school in back east.  Little place near Lexington, Virginia.  The gunshop owner there refuses to order any stripped lowers for an AR15 as it would be "cutting his own throat"...then trys to sell me a Bushmaster in standard 20" A2 config for 1100 dollars.  But those are hard to get ya know. Or so he said.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I demanded and fully expected to get my firearms for the wholesale price I see in Shotgun News.  Heck, I'll even throw in $2.50 for shipping and a $5.00 tip.   That $5.00 PURE PROFIT!!

What a freakin' jerk.

And who in there right mind would pay $25.00 for a transfer! Crap they should do it for free!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I went into a gunshop to purchase a stripped lower AR receiver, they had several in the display case. I asked the salesperson about them, he sat 2 or 3 lower receivers on the counter for me to look at. While I was looking at them he began to put them back into the display case, I said I was going to purchase one and just wanted to examine them, he acted like I was crazy.
I purchased a Bushmaster lower from him, never went back after that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I went to a fun shop in Mid Tenn before I moved. I knew what I wanted, exactly what I wanted. The guy said they are POS's and wouldn't even order it for me. I was willing to pay the full retail for what I wanted.

Different store, same area. Walked in, saw a 270 WSSM I would have liked to take home with me. Had optics mounted, nice sling. It was sitting on the counter. I asked "How much?" He said $1000, take it or get out of my store. I flashed him the money I was going to use and told him with a piss poor atitude like that, I will never darken your doorway again.
That was without a doubt, the worst I have ever been treated or seen someone else treated at a gun shop.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.....I noticed the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
yeah...Champion's Choice.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
75% of gun store employees are know it all assholes.  

In other news, the sun came up this morning.

Coincidentally, 75% of gun store customers are clueless know it all bastards.

I have never been a gun store worker, only customer, but it seems like the numbers are pretty even on both sides of the counters.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Wow, I always had good experiences at CC in LaVergne TN. Is that the same one you are talking about?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]
as a  10 year off and on  gun store commando myself I have to agree.
I have never seen a bussiness where you get anymore goofy, strange , pompus, full of shit pricks
but this is not exactly a high paying job , I luckily was good enough that after working at a  low rent store for low $$$ , but word got out I was decent guy that was not too strange , knew enough to be dangerous and not to proud to admit I do not know something and look it up for you
therefore I got hired at new  shop that opened  and make OK money
Gun stores on average don't pay shit and most of the guys you run into are part time and work at a gun shop a coule of days a week to live out some warrior fantasy

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#37]
You ought to see the view from behind the counter.

Do you have any idea how many 'tards I see come into the shop and demand discounts and special treatment?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#38]
The sad truth is, there are a lot of assholes and morons that like guns.  Some of these people are the assholes and morons that populate gun shows and hang out in gun stores, some of them even work in gun stores.  It's unfortunate, but not everybody that is interested in firearms is a decent human being, a large number of them are not. A lot of them don't even give a damn about gun rights or anything other then their own personal little small-dick power trip they get from finger-fucking a firearm.

I hate to say it, but I've run into more jackasses than decent people in the firearms world, including dealers, range operators, and shooters.  Maybe it's that I judge people too harshly, but I honestly think that if it were a judgement call on character, a lot of these people shouldn't have access to firearms.  However, it is their right, and mine as well, so I guess the best solution I have to the tons of morons with weapons is to have my own weapons and be better with them.

There is a "certain type" that are drawn to firearms for all of the wrong reasons, and they show themselves frequently, I've found.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Do you have any idea how many 'tards I see come into the shop and demand discounts and special treatment?

Or bring shit in loaded
Imagine the worst Elmer Fudds you have ever met on the range and then  imagine dealing with 2-3 of those a day for a hour at a time everyday for the last 10 years
I prefered dealing with the cons at the prison i worked at over some of those guys

90% of the people are great and i love it here
that 10% can sure make you question a career sometimes
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Exactly. Im one of those aformentioned assholes behind the counter. I dont have to prove anything to you. I am polite and nice to all of my customers. I know quite a bit, but I am NOT a know-it-all.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The sad truth is, there are a lot of assholes and morons that like guns.  Some of these people are the assholes and morons that populate gun shows and hang out in gun stores, some of them even work in gun stores.  It's unfortunate, but not everybody that is interested in firearms is a decent human being, a large number of them are not. A lot of them don't even give a damn about gun rights or anything other then their own personal little small-dick power trip they get from finger-fucking a firearm.

I hate to say it, but I've run into more jackasses than decent people in the firearms world, including dealers, range operators, and shooters.  Maybe it's that I judge people too harshly, but I honestly think that if it were a judgement call on character, a lot of these people shouldn't have access to firearms.  However, it is their right, and mine as well, so I guess the best solution I have to the tons of morons with weapons is to have my own weapons and be better with them.

There is a "certain type" that are drawn to firearms for all of the wrong reasons, and they show themselves frequently, I've found.

I couldn't agree with you more.

As far as the knuckleheads in the retail industry go, I just go to the shops where I get a fair deal and the customer service is nice, and avoid the ones that I wasn't impressed with.  There are plenty of gun shops in my area, but there are really only 2 that I bother going to, and I always get treated damn well in both of those.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
At Gander Mt............YES

+87

I take it you have been to the Castleton store?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#43]
The shop/range I worked at was (excpet for pay) the best job I have ever had. You had to deal with all sort of idiots though. 400 pound ex SEALS snipers who used SAVAGE 22-250 rifles in Beruit, Gang Banger trying to trade off there Bryco, Jenninigs and Larsons so the could afford to say "YO G let me see Dat Bling gak yo" about a Bersa 380, Guys wanting to buy Desert Eagles for Concealed Carry, recieving irate phone calls from upset customers wives because the husband bought a gun or wasnt home from the range yet...............
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are salesmen, like any retail place... Most know jack shit about firearms,

Unless of course they are one of those ex SEAL guys who work in retail...

Reach over there and slap that som bitch!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't agree with you more.

As far as the knuckleheads in the retail industry go, I just go to the shops where I get a fair deal and the customer service is nice, and avoid the ones that I wasn't impressed with.  There are plenty of gun shops in my area, but there are really only 2 that I bother going to, and I always get treated damn well in both of those.

Same here. I've been to several stores where I've been treated like dirt or handed a pile of shit when inquiring about a certain make/model of gun. I'm perfectly willing to pay a reasonable price if they have what I want, I'm fully aware of the cost of running a business and don't expect to get it "wholesale".

Generally speaking I've been to just about every store within a 100 mile radius. Like you I have about two that I frequent because of good pricing and better than average Customer Service. I won't waste my time on the others, life is too short.

I'm not even certain of why I bother with the gun shows anymore except for bulk ammo buys. With the 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 drying up I might even just give that up.

Except for the get out of the house factor.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I always had good experiences at CC in LaVergne TN. Is that the same one you are talking about?

wherever their phone sales are based out of...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There is one person there that I know of that is rude; he lost a sale at Camp Perry because of his crappy attitude and unwillingness to listen to a couple of suggestions about their spotting scope stand.  Same person has been non-responsive to a couple of questions over the phone.

Everyone else there is great in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes. ATF has a required courses for FFLs.

Syllabus includes:

I - Fuck You And You're Fucking Shotgun News (Customer Relations 101)

II - If You Don't Like My Prices Then Fuck You (A Study In Business Economics)

III - Then Go Buy That Shit At Wal Mart And Fuck You (Introduction To Competive Business Practices)

IV - I Can Give You $75.00 for that Winchester M1 Garand (Advanced Business Ethics)

V - These CAI Guns Are Great (Introduction To Product Promotion)

VI - Fuck You You Cheap Fucking Bastard (Identifying Your Customer Base)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a freakin' jerk.

And who in there right mind would pay $25.00 for a transfer! Crap they should do it for free!

And give you a Free Coke. They always forget the Free Coke.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I think it is very prevalant

Kevins Sporting Goods in Tallahassee-

Overpriced and the gun counter guys are dicks ALWAYS, like they are above talking to you and you are bothering them when you try to buy something

Discount Guns in Tampa-

Went out of business probably because the same reasons mentioned above(supposedly he was TIRED of the BS) Went in there with over a grand to get a Colt (Yes a Colt) AR and LOTS of accessories. Gun Counter guy wouldnt give me the time of day and was more interested in his Co-Worker BS ing so I went elsewhere
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top