Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 4:29:22 AM EDT
...just enough about terrorism, to justify buying more guns, ammunition or gear? C'mon, be honest.[:)]
(Not that I would do such a thing...)

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Not quite.
She does understand that what has happened lately is real and here, unlike the Y2K scenario.
She's willing to go a bit extra at this time in agreeing to "enhance" supplies, and has agreed to join me at the range for some "experience" behind the toys.
I have had some productive talks lately re the situation.
I hope we never need to exercise what we've discussed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been doing everything I can to keep her from getting too paranoid.  She's pretty rugged, but these are trying times.
It's a fine line to walk.  If I reassure her too much, saying that everything's OK, she knows that I'm bullshitting.  If I start explaining how well prepared we are, or need to be, it scares her.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been giving her some extra $ every week to stock up on extra food since this started.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
We can handle about anything. I have bought 2 new rifles and am getting more ammo and reloading supplies, but was doing that before this attack. We always have extra food, just have to keep an extra case or  two of formula for the baby.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have to scare Miz Hun, her imagination is doing that for me.

Let's just say, previously, when I was slipping my CCW into my pants, to go into some suburban mall, etc., she would say 'Hunny, you don't need your gun where we're going!'

She no longer says that!

Eric The(Next,CCWForMizHun!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
She already has her own AR and a Sharpshooter classification. Stocking up on canned goods and the like right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a case of ammo the other day...not a peep about "what are you going to do with that"

I need to take her the the range.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope.  First of all I don't need to do that, and second, my wife is smart enough to know that we face a real threat.  

Thankfully, she is in sales and her terratory keeps her a minimum of 40-50 miles from the big "bullseye" in our area (DC).

Like others, I'm making sure we have extra stuff on hand, and we spent September 12th out a local range gettting her familiar with the AR, since she is more of a pistol shooter.

I picked up a case of RG .308 to supplement the cache of other calibers, so we're pretty well stocked in that arena.

I think I may spring for that generator (that I didn't buy for Y2K) though.  We are on a Co-op for electricity and generally suffer though 3-4 annoying outages a year anyway.  Since we're on a well, being without power is worse than it would be in some other areas.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Scared, no. But I think she believes I might be over-reacting a bit. Since we have all the weapons and ammo we need, I've not had any real reason to shock here, other than breaking out the webgear.

On the other hand, her take on the situation is that we'll either stay in our home or move to Switzerland. I guess hiding in the mountains of North Carolina (assuming we get there) is not an option.

For the record: If it gets that bad, I'll send her and the kids to Switzerland, but I'm staying here. No two-bit raghead terrorist is going to chase me out of my country when it needs me the most...
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, too be honest, on Sept 11th I went to the safe and pulled out a case of 223 Ammo that I was saving for a rainy day and sat in front of the TV loading stripper clips.  Then I prepared a "ready" bag complete with loaded mags, my M-9 Bayonet, and a loaded Beta Mag.  Finally I cleaned the M-16 better than it has been cleaned in a long time....

That without doubt got the better half's attention....  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I am trying. Telling her we need an M-60 (5,000 rounds of linked ammo) to be feel secure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Actually, my wife is much less scared now than
she was 5 years ago when I started bringing home
black rifles, cases of ammunition, rappelling
gear, trip wires w/ flares, LBV's, and all the
other stuff I've got that fills up our walk-in
closet.  She used to wonder what the hell was
going on when I'd leave the house, fully loaded,
(as in God, I hope the coil springs don't break
in the car) at 4:00 in the morning and come home
at midnight covered with mud, insect repellent
and powder residue.

She's much calmer now than she has been.  She's
gotten a little hornier, too!!

[sex]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife has taken the initiative on getting all of our first aid and bug out gear in order, as well as checking the existing stuff for potency.  She feels the same way I do, which is "Better to be considered a touch paranoid than a lot dead."  Her mother says she's becoming a fanatic, but her father the Marine thinks the same way we do.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I think she started to wonder when I made her learn to reload the mags from stripper clips. This is also after I loaded a case of ammo into stripper clips in front of her.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
NO!! Why would I scare her?? I'm just preparing for the worst.

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/mask1.jpg[/img]

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been scaring my wife for years now, I think now she finally understands..[:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I would love to - but after the Y2K thing fizzled, she doesn't seem to believe me anymore.

And I'm not trying to get her to allow any more ammo or weapons, just to add a few extra things to her shopping cart at the store.

The problem is we love to go out for dinner (breakfast, lunch - etc...) and she doesn't like to cook.  So to her we won't use any of the stuff we'd buy for stocking up - I have a small freezer here that's empty - completely empty, and I can't convince her that it needs to have food-stuff in it.

Anyone have any ideas how I can put the FOG (fear of God) into her?  Thanks.

I think I have all the ammo I need (at least for the weapons I have)  but I do need to get a good big game rifle - and the ammunition to go with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
She is a little scared, she works on a military base after all. I don't think she is worried about being attacked, but I took a phyical last Tuesday and passed, that scared her. I have only been retired for 7 years, and I am still in fair shape, that scares her too. I am a Bradly Master Gunner, with combat expierance, that also scares her. I have been in contact will some of my old commanders, seems there might be a 1SGT slot out there in a line company with the son of one of those old commanders for a CO, that scares the hell out of her. But she is a trooper, she has decided to learn the M17s, the AR is lighter, but she likes the M17s, go figer:).

SFC(ret)Rew E. Williams
All glory to the infantry!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, too be honest, on Sept 11th I went to the safe and pulled out a case of 223 Ammo that I was saving for a rainy day and sat in front of the TV loading stripper clips.  Then I prepared a "ready" bag complete with loaded mags, my M-9 Bayonet, and a loaded Beta Mag.  Finally I cleaned the M-16 better than it has been cleaned in a long time....

That without doubt got the better half's attention....  
View Quote

You Too. Good I'm not alone. Packed up the Ak and loaded all my mags. Put it in the trunk.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Scare my wife?  Mine scares me!  She works for social services, and scares me with stories about some of the people she comes into contact with.  She believes that if anything truly bad happens, e.g. power goes out for an extended period of time, a fire engulfs most of downtown, etc., then most of these scum will take advantage of it in a worse than south central LA-style.  We have enough 22LR in the house to shoot every single person within a two mile radius, twice, but she still thinks if something happens, we're going to need more ammo than that.  Yes, she measures our preparedness in how large of a radius around the house we could kill.  She comes into contact with these people every day, so I'm really scared as to why she feels like she does.  BTW, we're about to buy a car so money is tight, but she mentioned over the weekend that she wanted me to buy another 440 round can of 7.62x54R.  Also, she wants me to figure-out how to attach a bayonet to "her" gun, a Marlin model 60.  I'm a little worried that a woman her age thinks she needs a bayonet on a rifle to defend herself.z
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]
hell no, mine scares me everyday!

yikes.....

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope. She is perfectly happy to stock up on goodies, just in case. We live in a remote desert foothill area, 25 miles from the nearest store, so preparedness is daily life. Winter is coming and we need extra food in case we are stuck here anyway. As far as ordinance, we gots plenty...
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got back from a shoot and she said, " guess you need to stock up on more ammo."

Excellent conditioned response.

steady!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife knows she is safe.

_
FS
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Not mine, we went to a movie after the 1st strike yesterday, and she asked if I had the .45 with me today. We suffered two huge close calls on 9/11, so she is really worried our luck is running out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I think mine is just the opposite. The weekend after the attacks I was headed up to the mountains above Durango. She insisted I take a handgun with plenty of ammo and she wasn't really happy till I loaded up the AK with 4 full mags. I told her if I got stopped and searched by the police "I" was going to be the terrorist!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunetley, mine is smart enough to realize that you can't stop a Boeing Bomb with more FN-FALs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#32]
i sold my m1 carbine a week back and plooped down some cash for 1k of 7.62x39 and 500 of .223. my GF said we didnt have enough. later that night i was looking through some ammo cans i had hidden from myself in a corner under some web gear. found 6 loaded ak mags and 6 loaded ar mags. i told my lady, and i scored. she loves guns just as much as me:). thanks
DB
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Mine actually said "We have everything we need, right?"

And we both meant the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess I am just going to have to find a wife to scare ...
And to think I was just getting to the bottom of the Y2K SPAM I had ... and now to buy some more ...

Ted...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top