Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 3:15:16 PM EDT
Mostly talking about the frame, not painted body panels.
And surface rust, not rusting through.

Would you consider it to be part of normal depreciation?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Up here in Ohio, that's to be expected after the first winter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Spot on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on how bad the rust is and what part of the country it came from. In my area of salt in the winter some 10 year old cars that are not washed often show some severe signs on rust , while others seem unfazed.

My 97 civic , which was kept outside most of its life, only started to show rust 17 years later and I didnt exactly take care of it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My 2013 4Runner has a shit ton of rust on the undercarriage after 3 CO winters--even when I wash it every week with undercarriage rinse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I would.

I bought a 2003 Silverado in 2007 that came out of Cleveland. I don't think the previous owner ever took it through a car wash. I'm still fighting with corrosion today. The slurry shit they put on our roads sure doesn't help matters.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
so, it shouldn't impact the used value in an area if all are exposed to the same elements
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Not in Az. My '78 Jeep J10 is rust free.
Not that a Jeep in an SUV.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. There are 10 year old vehicles around here with holes in them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 2013 4Runner has a shit ton of rust on the undercarriage after 3 CO winters--even when I wash it every week with undercarriage rinse.
View Quote

Fluid Film, brah. Seriously, that shit is awesome. I applied mine in October and the water still beads on most of my undercarriage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Not where I live, unless you are very close to the beach.  The roads don't have to be salted in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fluid Film, brah. Seriously, that shit is awesome. I applied mine in October and the water still beads on most of my undercarriage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it have any issues attracting dust? I'd like to apply some to one of my vehicles, but I have to drive 3 miles of gravel to get to pavement which makes for dusty vehicles. I'm a bit worried I'll end up with a big mess if I spray Fluid Film on the frame and body seams.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a 91 Explorer that I recently gave to my MIL. It only ever was plated in AK and WA. Up here in the PNW, salting roads is basically unheard of - UNTIL we had a huge ice storm several years back, and the county salted all the roads - probably the bright idea of some east coast immigrant.

That truck went from being 100% rust-free on the frame and undercarriage, to covered in surface rust in one year. I even had tried to rinse off the shit from the road when it warmed up. No go. It now has frozen bolts/fasteners everywhere, rusted exhaust, etc.

I also have a 96 that is completely rust free. The original owner is the only person I've ever known to spring for the undercoating, so once you break that shit off, the parts underneath it look brand new.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Only in areas where it snows and they salt the roads.. A car in Florida can go 10+ years without a spec of rust.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
No rust here...   ...no snow or ice either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does it have any issues attracting dust? I'd like to apply some to one of my vehicles, but I have to drive 3 miles of gravel to get to pavement which makes for dusty vehicles. I'm a bit worried I'll end up with a big mess if I spray Fluid Film on the frame and body seams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I can't give you a rock solid answer as I don't live in a dusty area but I didn't notice anything sticking my undercarriage.

When it first goes on it stays wet for a while, maybe 2 weeks but I applied it as the weather was cooling. Ideally you want to apply it while it's still hot out to let it creep into everything. This stuff really creeps too. I'd imagine the hotter weather would "dry" it faster.

I'm guessing if you applied it and then went down a dusty dirt road you'd have a dust layer.

Edit...do a test. Buy an aresol can and spray a small spot on the undercarriage and check out how it performs. When you do a whole car you want the stuff in the paint can and a harbor freight electric paint sprayer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
My 15 y/o Ram has a little. If your in Va Like me the closer to the coast the higher your concern for salt air should be
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
S. Texas never salted the road around here but I do live in a coastal city and I have rust spots on the frame of my 2004 Tahoe and 2004 Silverado.  The 2014 Caddy mostly Al none that I can see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]
In this area, you are lucky if you don't have to start making frame repairs after 10 years, let alone surface rust on the frame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
They use some shit called brine in MD/NOVA which apparently is even worse for rusting cars.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#20]
My 93 jeep Cherokee has not one speck of rust. No surface rust on frame, nuts/ bolts nothing.  Paint is sun faded though. Fuck rusty vehicles. Fuck the rustbelt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Sadly.

I love Ohio to death, but I have NEVER got used to the fucking road salt they insist on throwing down, instead of requiring that motorists install winter tires.

"Let's slowly destroy the second most expensive things we own, just so we can pretend it's not really Janurary".
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
If it is a GM the they may take care of it.

They have had rusting frame problems.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
That sounds about right Op.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Normal depreciation.  I bought a 10 year old 1/2 ton that got a new rear bumper because the old one was mostly rusted apart, maybe 1/3rd of the bumper was still there rest was just gone.

If they salt/brine the roads for winter either you deal with rust, buy new every 4 years, or fly to Arizona/new mexico to buy used.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This. Sadly.

I love Ohio to death, but I have NEVER got used to the fucking road salt they insist on throwing down, instead of requiring that motorists install winter tires.

"Let's slowly destroy the second most expensive things we own, just so we can pretend it's not really Janurary".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Sadly.

Ice is also bad, tho

Can't decide what sucks more.

CO DOT is obsessed with destroying our cars and trucks with Mag Chloride and gravel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

My '99 4Runner is pretty rusty too. I quit washing it weekly quite a while ago though
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly I can't give you a rock solid answer as I don't live in a dusty area but I didn't notice anything sticking my undercarriage.

When it first goes on it stays wet for a while, maybe 2 weeks but I applied it as the weather was cooling. Ideally you want to apply it while it's still hot out to let it creep into everything. This stuff really creeps too. I'd imagine the hotter weather would "dry" it faster.

I'm guessing if you applied it and then went down a dusty dirt road you'd have a dust layer.

Edit...do a test. Buy an aresol can and spray a small spot on the undercarriage and check out how it performs. When you do a whole car you want the stuff in the paint can and a harbor freight electric paint sprayer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll just have to get a can like you said and see what happens. It's not a big deal now since I don't need to do as much winter driving, but my 2012 F250 still has some minor surface rust on frame components and other areas under the vehicle. I'd like to get it stopped before it becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#28]
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 212,000 miles, not a speck of rust anywhere on it :-)
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep in Michigan they typically leave the dealership "pre-rusted" lol.

J-
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
If you make no effort to clean the salt and shit off the undercarriage after a winter storm... yeah that is to be expected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top