Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2002 7:54:53 PM EDT
I was looking at the FL state laws for having a gun in a "private conveyance" usually meaning a car. As most know, you can have a loaded gun inside a "private conveyance", but it has to be "securely encased", i.e. in the glovebox or a zippered bag or something like that. My question is, does this apply to bicycles and motorcycles, which don't exactly have an interior? Would it be legal to have the gun in a bag or box attached to the bike? Under the seat of a motorcycle?
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they? Yes.

Would it be legal? No, not without a carry permit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That would depend on how your particular state defines "conveyance".  In most states, a bicycle is a vehicle, subject to the same traffice rules and regulations which affect a car or truck - with the exception of those specifically applied only to motor vehicles.  A bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

If Florida defines a bicycle as a vehicle (although not a motor vehicle), then you can transport a securely encased firearm on your bicycle without violating the law.  If so, get a locking saddlebag, and you'd be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I know a guy who got a DUI for riding his bike drunk. It seems Ohio considers a bike a bonafide vehicle if you are riding it on a public roadway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here in NY. Only ever ticketed one, after he caused an accident. Boy, was HE mad!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top