Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 4:26:02 PM EDT
Please recall this particular question only pertains to COCKED Colt SAA.

Any cowboy action shooters or "guns of the Old West" fans know?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Would depend pretty heavily on how the trigger / sear is shaped...

I would certainly pucker something fierce if I saw a SAA falling toward the deck with the hammer back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Have to justify the P320 being a raging piece of shit, huh?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this like the hammer down safety on 1911 thread? (didn't know that was even possible) Not sure too many would carry like that. But people amaze me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's dropped won't the half cock notch catch the hammer?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would depend pretty heavily on how the trigger / sear is shaped...

I would certainly pucker something fierce if I saw a SAA falling toward the deck with the hammer back.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends....

On the amount of contact the sear surfaces between the trigger and hammer have...

In most they are not...

In a very few examples they are...as in put in a vise and hit with a hammer safe...but those were few and far between with heavy drag and creep trigger pulls.

They are also not drop safe with the hammer down on a loaded cylinder chamber..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Well in 150 years since the SAA was designed Sig has managed to equal the safety level of the SAA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]
More drop safe than a sig
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sometiimes....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
No.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well in 150 years since the SAA was designed Sig has managed to equal the safety level of the SAA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now you've done it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Some Old West Styles are, Some are not.

Original Colt Single Action Army are not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
No.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ruger Blackhawk using the same fire control setup sure wasn't. That lawsuit was when they switched to the transfer bar system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now you've done it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now you've done it.
Well if you are going to throw softballs .
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Original's no. All the newer shit is tho...

Whats the next Sig feel good thread? What if you drip a fucking flint lock?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't modern technology great?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Matchlocks are infinitely more drop safe than a SIG 320

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard G19's go full-auto if you drop them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
"Depends"

No... not so much!  IF we are discussing the Colt Single Action Army and true clones!

The sear/hammer contact is rather small, and it is possible that if the SAA lands on the hammer for the sear surface to break.

ALSO... it is well known the the safe way to carry the Colt Single Action Army and true clones are to be carried hammer down over an empty chamber.

If the hammer is on half-cock over a live round, dropping the SAA on the hammer can break the sear and allow the hammer to go fully forward to discharge the round in the chamber under the hammer.

If the hammer is fully forward and not back to half-cock... a blow to the hammer can discharge the round in the chamber under the hammer.

Some of the Italian SAA do have a design that allows for a cartridge to be loaded to sit under the hammer... and current Ruger Single Actions are also safe for a round to be under the hammer.

Early Ruger Single Actions ARE NOT safe to have a round in the chamber under the hammer.  HOWEVER, Ruger did make "upgrade" to those models on a voluntary recall.  Some collectors DID NOT have these early models "upgraded".
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Depends"

No... not so much!  IF we are discussing the Colt Single Action Army and true clones!

The sear/hammer contact is rather small, and it is possible that if the SAA lands on the hammer for the sear surface to break.

ALSO... it is well known the the safe way to carry the Colt Single Action Army and true clones are to be carried hammer down over an empty chamber.

If the hammer is on half-cock over a live round, dropping the SAA on the hammer can break the sear and allow the hammer to go fully forward to discharge the round in the chamber under the hammer.

If the hammer is fully forward and not back to half-cock... a blow to the hammer can discharge the round in the chamber under the hammer.

Some of the Italian SAA do have a design that allows for a cartridge to be loaded to sit under the hammer... and current Ruger Single Actions are also safe for a round to be under the hammer.

Early Ruger Single Actions ARE NOT safe to have a round in the chamber under the hammer.  HOWEVER, Ruger did make "upgrade" to those models on a voluntary recall.  Some collectors DID NOT have these early models "upgraded".
View Quote
It really does depend...in a very small percentage of single action revolvers out there there is actually enough material that the sear surfaces do not break...but as an everyday practice (for all practical circumstances)you are right...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
NO!

The tip of the sear can break, or the sear can jar out of the full cock engagement.

It's hard to believe that this is a serious question, and anyone who would even think of carrying one that way is a moron.

If you fumble one, you'd better hope the muzzle is "looking" away from you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe, maybe not, and either a) the sear can break, or b) the half cock notch can break off the hammer.

The single action revolver with only five rounds in the cylinder and the hammer down on the empty chamber, is as close to idiot proof as it is possible to come.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Ronin beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Maybe, maybe not, and either a) the sear can break, or b) the half cock notch can break off the hammer.

The single action revolver with only five rounds in the cylinder and the hammer down on the empty chamber, is as close to idiot proof as it is possible to come.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I wasn't thinking of the sear breaking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Boom!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]
No.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Loading sequence for non-transfer bar SAA/clone:
Open gate
Half cock
Load 1 round in the chamber
Skip 2nd chamber (the hammer will rest here)
Load rounds 2-5 in remaining empty cylinder chambers
Close load gate
Ease hammer down on empty chamber/skipped it earlier when loading.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#32]
If I recall correctly (I don't have one handy) the old Colt manual said to pull the hammer back enough to rest it on the safety notch.  But it was small and could easily wear or break so when dropped or mishandled the hammer could fall and the pistol fire. Seems like most people today don't even know there is built in safety forward of the half cock notch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
NO!

The tip of the sear can break, or the sear can jar out of the full cock engagement.

It's hard to believe that this is a serious question, and anyone who would even think of carrying one that way is a moron.

If you fumble one, you'd better hope the muzzle is "looking" away from you.
View Quote
You have to cock it to shoot it. Standing at a range over concrete as an example. Unsurprisingly, a lot of handling occurs while shooting

Who said anything about "carrying it" cocked anyway? Not me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
You would be surprised at how many people don't know how to properly operate the cocking mechanism / hammer on a Colt Peacemaker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Boom!!!!!

View Quote
But only if you drop it, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ohhhh, burned to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe.... I've seen the engagement face broken off triggers from this... When it happens there's nothing to catch the half cock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Not likely with it cocked. Definitely not with hammer down.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
About 50 years ago, I knew a guy that had an old Ruger 44 mag fall out of the holster.  Cartridge under the hammer. He spent weeks in the hospital while they rebuilt his
knee.. Last I saw him, he barely limped.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Have to justify the P320 being a raging piece of shit, huh?
View Quote
Is that what this is all about?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Ruger Blackhawk using the same fire control setup sure wasn't. That lawsuit was when they switched to the transfer bar system.
View Quote
This is true,the other thing that comes into play with most single actions is the center of gravity of the beast is such that it turns itself in the air like a cat and lands on the hammer.

It is no problem if you consider these guns to be five shooters and carry the hammer down on the empty chamber
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

A SAA has 3 positions: hammer down, hammer in the safety notch, hammer back.
None (NONE) of these positions is safe. If you want a safe SAA, you load it with 5 and leave the hammer down on the empty chamber.

The safety notch is too fragile to withstand a drop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#44]
The safety on a Colt SAA is the operator, and if he is too dumb or careless to operate a simple machine like a single action revolver, somebody is likely to get hurt.

With the hammer down on an empty chamber or on a fired cartridge, the only way a SAA can possibly hurt anyone is to drop it on your foot, or beat somebody to death with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter, as one would never be carried that way, but the answer is no.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Just don't drop it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Matchlocks are infinitely more drop safe than a SIG 320

View Quote
Good to know.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well you didn't hear about them complain about that shit back then.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#49]
There's a reason you should only load 5 rounds into a Colt SAA. Fixed firing pin on the hammer and zero safeties. Carry mine hammer down on the empty chamber. Can't go off if there's no round there  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"Depends"

View Quote
Congratulations on a response that did not include a dig at sig!  I have to say I'm getting a bit sick of those posts.  This is from a guy that swore off new sigs about 10 years ago.  I love my p228.

In reference to the old model three screw blackhawk you mentioned.  It's not just collectors that did not have them modified.  My om .357mag blackhawk has not been.  The trigger is just too damn nice to mess with.  That being said, I only load 5 rounds, keep hammer down on an empty, and only let experienced shooters shoot and or handle it loaded.

Actually thats part of the way I got it.  A friend owned it, was having a bbq and brought it out to show off (it was unloaded) when he went back inside he reloaded and put a bullet through the floor.  His room was right next to the living room with about 10 young kids in it.  He was happy to trade me for my single stack wasr after that.  Well I had dremeled it so it would take a standard mag, poorly.  lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top