Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 5:55:58 AM EDT
A "friend" of mine screwed up and got his car impounded. Anyway the cops or whoever does this shit is conducting an auction next month. Its already scheduled. So, he wants his car back but is not allowed to bid on it himself. He will put the money in my hand so I can bid on it and hopefully be the highest bidder. And then give it to him or sell it to him for a buck or something. It seems sneaky but is it breaking some kind of law? Straw purchase only applies to guns, right?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
That doesnt 'sound' half as illegal as asset forfeiture does...

I still cant believe that shit has never been beat in court yet....
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Certainly not illegal. Sounds like a plan to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont know about WA. But in NJ and PA, you can not sell a car for a dollar. I think it has to be at least 100 to 300 bucks. If you give a car as a gift, they will make you pay the tax on blue book value of the car.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Why doesn't he just sign the title over to you today, you take your liscense, new title, and proof of insurance, pay tow/storage fees, and get it out now???
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Its out of his hands now. Hes screwed. The auction is next month.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sonds like a plan, but it also sounds like he can't afford the car. Otherwise it would not of been reposessed in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sonds like a plan, but it also sounds like he can't afford the car. Otherwise it would not of been reposessed in the first place.
View Quote

I am thinking DWI or something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Erm 'impounding' is totally different than 'reposession'.

Sounds to me like the guy either got caught in either a drug seizure, or a john seizure, where the police/city/county/state/feds/whatver steals your shit as punishment for a 'crime' they cant prove (or it isnt worth proving) in court.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree Silence, either his "friend" was scoring a big juicy rock, or he pulled up to one of those " get your pony loped here" types of places and got caught.  If it was a DUI, then he can merely pay the fees and get it back.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Combat Jack-- yeah, originally DWI, you don't poke a cops chest with you finger and tell him what an ass he is, cause they take your license away real fast. And I'm sure there more to it than i know or want to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top