Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2002 10:38:06 PM EDT
This will be my junior year at Gonzaga University as a Criminal Justice major, and instead of getting a internship I have decided go out for the Spokane PD Reserve (I figure that doing the job I want to do will be a more valuble experience than getting coffee for someone who has some administrative position remotely connected to what I want to do).

I am, however a little worried about the polygraph test. I have a clean criminal history. Never been arrested or involved in drugs. I don't drink, and I have one ticket and one accident in my driving record (I am not sure if the accident will show up though as the police never got involved). This is not to say that I have been a boy scout. I have committed my share of misdemeanors, mostly via stupid pranks, and nothing out of the ordinary.  I know of two felonies that I have committed. The felonies were both the result of ignorance of certain gun laws and I corrected the situation as soon as I discovered I was in violation of the law.

My question is where does this put me in terms of the polygraph test? What can I expect them to ask me on the test, and will this kill my application? TIA.

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Best advice is to BE HONEST!  If they detect that your are lying or covering something up that is what will get you booted.  Nobody is perfect, and we have all done stupid things, espically when we are young.  Most places would rather have someone with the integrity and balls to admit to that, rather than a person who will lie to get a job they really want.  If you go in there and answer every question truthfully, you will be fine ( and you will feel better about yourself, no matter what the outcome of the entire application process).  Also remember that is better to not be accepted because of better qualified applicants, not high enough test scores, ect.  These things can be improved upon, and you can try again later.  If you get a reputation as a liar, your pretty much burned with that department, and any others you try as well if they hear about it.  Just be honest, and best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I was asked several questions about narcotics and theft.  I do not remember any questions about firearms on my polygraph test.

Just be honest!  If you took the pack of gum from the store when you were 6...tell them you took the pack of gum from the store.

Actually, they probably won't even care about crap like the gum.  I am sure they will ask you if you have ever committed a felony or misdemeanor.  If you have...tell them.  Be honest, that is what they are looking for in the polygraph test.

medcop
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I already knew that honesty was going to be the only way to go here. I'm a bad liar, there is no way I'd be able to beat the machine.

Kyle
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember, If you were not convicted of a crime, It was not a crime.  Corrected mistakes are a sign of a good individual.  You may want to try a study group that will help you with the polygraph.  They could give you a mock poly, to see how you respond,a dn coach you along the way.  Remember to always see yourself in a positive way.  I made that mistake years ago, and did not get the police job I wanted.  The examiner thought I was immature. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I know this is somewhat OT and more a candidate for the GD forum... but, polygraphs are junk science horse pucky. If they are so meaningful, why aren't they admissable in court as evidence yet? There's no standards-setting body that governs polygraph tests. It's a guy with an intimidating instrument and a nervous participant.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was 18, I tried to outrun a speeding ticket. In the process I blew a tire and drove on the rim until the engine blew. I was convicted of Reckless Endangerment. When I took the polygraph 9 years ago during the hiring process, the tester asked if there ws anyhting else about my arrest I had not told them (during my interview), and I responded "No". When he asked what I had done and I explained the chase, he said, "Oh, is that all?". So I wouldn't worry about them asking questiuons about crimes that you may have committed and weren't caught.
I really don't put any faith into the machines anyway. During the same time I was interviewing with my current dep.t, I also interviewed with the local Sheriff's Dept. They asked the exact same questions as my dep.t, but had different results on several questions. I answered both polygraphs with the same answers, so alot of it has to do with how the operator interprets the machines responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top