Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2005 6:21:52 PM EDT
I've tried other diets and they just don't seem to work for me. I always get tempted too much and eat a bit of food I shouldn't be. Soon after that it becomes a little bit more, and then more after that.

I've been trying for the last 3 months and am still at 255 pounds. So I thought I would devise my own diet. It's a bit drastic but I honestly think going cold turkey on the bad foods will be easier than having a little here and a little there. Here's my plan thus far.

Breakfast:
One or two pieces of fruit (i.e. banana, apple, etc).

Lunch:
Large Salad with no dressing (just lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, celery, etc)

Dinner:
Same as lunch.

Can I expect to actually lose some friggin weight on this diet? The way I see it I will be filling myself on food that has pretty much 0 fat and next to no calories. My body will continue to burn at the rate it does and will start hitting these pockets of fat I've accumulated.

I'm debating making breakfast a regular meal with bacon, eggs, bagel, juice, etc, would this be a bad idea? Can I expect any bad side effects from my plan listed above?

It's going to suck to eat nothing but greens for a number of months but the way I see it, once I get down to a reasonable weight again I can slowly work back into the foods I love to eat!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:24:16 PM EDT
You might be doing more harm than good. Your body needs nutrients like protien and fat to survive, balance is the key.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:25:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:
You might be doing more harm than good. Your body needs nutrients like protien and fat to survive, balance is the key.

Hmmm. What would be the worst case scenario? My body craves the protein and fat so much it'll take whatever I throw in there and turn it into fat?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:25:57 PM EDT
I think it's a bad idea - because

(1) you will be miserable
(2) as soon as you stop, you'll gain all the weight back.

Instead (and I know it sounds cheesy) COUNT CALORIES.

If you consume about 1600 a day, and do some regular exercise, you'll lose weight - and it might be something that is sustainable long-term.

(Obviously, if you work out a lot, or burn a lot of calories in a particular day, maybe 1600 is a little low).
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 6:30:17 PM EDT by w4klr]
I didn't see a mention of exercise in there. Proper dietary intake + proper and consistent exercise = good lookin body + loads of wimminz + better self esteem.

Pickup a copy of an Army physical fitness manual. Basic stuff in there, but its powerful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:26:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

Hmmm. What would be the worst case scenario? My body craves the protein and fat so much it'll take whatever I throw in there and turn it into fat?

Try tuna.

and for your salad, try ...3 season?... Itilian + oil + vinegar mix.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:27:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

If you consume about 1600 a day, and do some regular exercise, you'll lose weight - and it might be something that is sustainable long-term.

(Obviously, if you work out a lot, or burn a lot of calories in a particular day, maybe 1600 is a little low).

I would go the calorie counting route, except being on the on-campus meal plan, I have no access to nutrition facts as to what I am eating as they serve me.

The miserable part I can handle, but I would really gain all the weight back if I went back to eating other foods in moderation?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:30:24 PM EDT
Try the 3 hour diet I've lost 20lbs on it. Like the name implies you eat every 3 hours. It's about portion control more than anything, but you can eat anything you want, so long as you stay in the guidelines for portion/calories.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:32:19 PM EDT

I would go the calorie counting route, except being on the on-campus meal plan, I have no access to nutrition facts as to what I am eating as they serve me.

The miserable part I can handle, but I would really gain all the weight back if I went back to eating other foods in moderation?

I'm not an expert - but generally extreme diets don't work well. I'm only commenting because its the kind of thing I woudl probably try - and that's always a sign that it's a bad idea.

My wife sometimes counts calories, and there is software available (and I think websites) that can tell you caloric amount pretty accurately as long as you know more or less (i know it's college food) WHAT you ate, and how much.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:34:24 PM EDT
Look, diets suck. I lost 30 pounds.

First I figured how much I was eating, then how much I really need. Basically cut my portions in half. Then I started going to the gym alot. 30lbs in 3 months.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:34:51 PM EDT

I'm not an expert - but generally extreme diets don't work well. I'm only commenting because its the kind of thing I woudl probably try - and that's always a sign that it's a bad idea.

My wife sometimes counts calories, and there is software available (and I think websites) that can tell you caloric amount pretty accurately as long as you know more or less (i know it's college food) WHAT you ate, and how much.

Well, if I really wanted to get extreme, I'd just eat a piece of celery every 4 days or so .

Damn....all I want to do is lose a shitload of weight, and a drastic way isn't even going to work....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:36:44 PM EDT
I would suggest cutting out all refined sugar, pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. Everything else is fair game. Go for leaner cuts of meat like fish and white chicken. Olive oil is your friend, stay away from saturated fats as much as possible. If you do that and some kind of physical activity like just walking every evening you will see a difference. Make sure you get enough fiber as well to keep your system flowing. I lost 48 pounds 3 years ago doing exactly that and have kept most of it off very easily and it was easy to stick to. Make sure you drink lots of water as well, stay away from the gatorade and soft drinks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:40:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:
I would suggest cutting out all refined sugar, pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. Everything else is fair game. Go for leaner cuts of meat like fish and white chicken. Olive oil is your friend, stay away from saturated fats as much as possible. If you do that and some kind of physical activity like just walking every evening you will see a difference. Make sure you get enough fiber as well to keep your system flowing. I lost 48 pounds 3 years ago doing exactly that and have kept most of it off very easily and it was easy to stick to. Make sure you drink lots of water as well, stay away from the gatorade and soft drinks.

+100000 on no soda. Even diet soda.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By zer04evr:

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN:

+100000 on no soda. Even diet soda.

I never drink soda anyway....never like the carbonation.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:51:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 6:51:41 PM EDT by Ghost-Shooter]
I'm in the same boat as you. One day I realized that it took me years to get to this chubbiness , and it won't go away overnight. So I just decided to eat the same as I was eating, but go to the gym much more. Basically, I want to hit the target weight for my height in 5-8 years, but to become stronger, faster and actually more fit in the process instead of just losing weight. I took up racquetball because I love playing it and lift free weights. Even though I lift like a girl , I started becoming trimmer 2 weeks after I started, my jeans got looser and my friends thought I was on a diet. What's even more amazing is that my weight didn't start going down until 3-4 months after. That was when I realized that having the muscle mass is much better than a low weight because muscle burns calories just sitting there and it actually does useful stuff (like attract girls ).

Moral of the story: decide on a lifestyle change, not a fad diet, and stick with it. Know that it took years to pack on the pounds...it'll probably take a couple of years to lose it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:55:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghost-Shooter:
I'm in the same boat as you. One day I realized that it took me years to get to this chubbiness , and it won't go away overnight. So I just decided to eat the same as I was eating, but go to the gym much more. Basically, I want to hit the target weight for my height in 5-8 years, but to become stronger, faster and actually more fit in the process instead of just losing weight. I took up racquetball because I love playing it and lift free weights. Even though I lift like a girl , I started becoming trimmer 2 weeks after I started, my jeans got looser and my friends thought I was on a diet. What's even more amazing is that my weight didn't start going down until 3-4 months after. That was when I realized that having the muscle mass is much better than a low weight because muscle burns calories just sitting there and it actually does useful stuff (like attract girls ).

Moral of the story: decide on a lifestyle change, not a fad diet, and stick with it. Know that it took years to pack on the pounds...it'll probably take a couple of years to lose it.

Guess I have a lot of work to do.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 6:59:31 PM EDT by walrus]
Losing weight is simple. Only drink water, eat smaller portions, cut junk food completely, and exercise daily. Push-ups, crunches, running. If you really want to lose wait, then try that. It's not fun, but you WILL be alot slimmer if you stick with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
Eat less, excercise more. Thats the sure way to lose wieght. And I am not talking out of my ass either...4 months ago I wieghed in @ 290lbs, I was fast on the way to becoming a land manatee, so I quit eating fast food, drinking cokes and cut my portions in half. Started excercisesing by walking 30 minutes a day 3 days a week, now I run(at a 10-12 min mile) 14 miles a week and weight train 3 days week. I have lost 44 lbs and 4 pants sizes in 16 weeks.

You can do it, just set a goal and go for it. I wanted to lose 50 lbs by November and I am almost there. Eventually I my goal is to hit 200 and stay there.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
I lost 40lbs. in three months.

beakfast: Glass of V8, one egg (cooked with olive oil in the pan, not butter) optional banana.

Mid morning snack: one fruit serving. Non Citrus

Lunch: Turky sandwich (two slices of meat, one slice provolone, lettuce, green peppers, mustard)
(Put more veggies one your sandwich then meat, and only whole grain bread)
optional salad, any veggies especially tomatoes, Olive oil and vinegar

Mid Afternoon snack: Fruit or veggie, non citrus

Dinner: Salad with chicken breast (grilled, and use olive oil if in a pan) or Tuna, Salmon, or lean steak like Fillet, or sirloin. veggie side, (steamed optional)

Dessert: fuck dessert your on diet, and you don't need it

snack before bed: green tea

Drink plenty of water throughout the day
No sugar, not even in citrus fruits
Whole grain bread only
Meats have to be lean (you are what you eat)
no soda or sport drinks, not even diet soda, that shit fucks with your head

You must work out
start by walking.
Go to a gym.
If you can afford it, Invest in a heavy wieght punching bag. get arobic gloves
Box like you mean it, it will take a couple of weeks to strengthin your wrists
Always keep moving when your hitting the bag, that is what is burning the fat.
mind your breathing
You can burn more calories boxing than running, its also more fun. and practical in learning how to fight basics.
Work out before beakfast. or one hour after a meal.
morning is the best cuz it boost your metabolism during the day. (making the diet more effective)
the first 3 days to a week is the hardest.
weigh in only once a week. dont be discurage if the weight is dramaticly diff, your might be replacing fat with muscle.
weigh in the same way every time IE: in the morning after your first shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:03:57 PM EDT

It's going to suck to eat nothing but greens for a number of months but the way I see it, once I get down to a reasonable weight again I can slowly work back into the foods I love to eat!

Won't work. If you lose the weight this way (by basically starving yourself), you'll lower your metabolism so much that you'll gain back the weight you lost at a much faster rate than you lost it.

If you really want to lose weight, here's what you do:

1. Write down everything you eat for a week on a non-dieting week.
2. Look for obvious places to make cuts of refined sugars and saturated fats. Count the calories of items that you can cut out of your diet. For example, a can of soda might have 120 calories in it (and it's all sugar). If you drink 1 a day, and if you eliminate it, that would be 43800 calories. Every pound of fat stored in your body represents 3500 stored calories. So do the math, and you'll see that 1 soda per day is translating into 12.5 pounds a year. If you did nothing but remove the soda, you'd lose 25 pounds over the next two years. However, you can probably do better than removing just 120 calories from your diet. Focus on removing sugar and fat, but don't go to extreme length (if you ate a cheeseburger every day, removing the cheese would probably also save you 10 pounds a year).
3. Go to the gym and learn to lift weights. Forget cardio. Focus on getting as strong as possible. Once you are bench pressing your own weight or more, you'll be gaining muscle. As you gain muscle, you'll burn more calories just by sitting around. You'll also look better, and the positive feedback from this will help you with your diet.

Patience is your friend when dieting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:29 PM EDT
Dude fill up on breakfast and lunch and eat a light dinner. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Limit the carbs and fat and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
Run your ass off, then you can eat whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:11:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Dude fill up on breakfast and lunch and eat a light dinner. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Limit the carbs and fat and you'll be fine.

I dissagree with ARDOC.
his thoughts are a common missnomer.

Eat light troughout the day and have a good size dinner cuz, the big dinner will keep your metabolism even through the night. seriously.

if you eat heavy during the day and light at night, youll be sluggish during the day, and hungry over the night, and youll want to snack.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:18:50 PM EDT
Burn off more then you put in plain and simple
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 9:51:16 PM EDT by yugosksfan]
I was 255 back in January, and now I'm 200-205. Here's how I lost it.

1) No refined foods (No white rice or white bread). Cut out the potatoes.
2) Eat ~300 calories every 3 hours.
3) Try not to eat within 2 hours of bedtime.
4) Eat more whole grains. I eat a bowl or two of cheerios every morning for breakfast.
5) Drink LOTS of water.
6) No desserts.
7) Limit the fried foods!

Just be sure to keep eating every three hours. Your body will get used to eating in regular intervals and burn more calories that way.

Notice how I didn't mention exercise? That's because I don't, but doing the above I have still managed to shed 50+ pounds in 9 months. Let it come off slowly. The slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 7:37:59 PM EDT by jcp84]
I don't know if this will work for you and I'm not exactly sure HOW it worked for me but...

When I first started college, I lost the Freshman 15. It seemed like ate all the time, but in small portions. I was flat broke (I went out shopping like twice a week to accommodate my new figure ), and basically only ate sandwiches, Easy Mac and some of this Ragu pasta stuff kinda packaged like Easy Mac (I haven't seen it around lately, so you may not know what I'm talking about), cereal and the occasional fruit. I drank Kool-Aid a lot too, plus unsweetened tea and water.

I'm not sure how I managed to eat pasta and drink Kool-Aid and still lose weight. Even more mind-boggling? I didn't have a workout routine, save for the four blocks I'd walk to class everyday. Sophomore year however I took a swim class and lost 3 pounds.

On the weekends I'd go out to eat with my friends but never cleaned my plate, because pretty much anywhere you go the portions are huge.

Fast forward to junior year, I started working at a Mexican restaurant and a lot of the time the boss would buy our dinners for us. I gained 10 pounds working there, sheesh.

I moved to San Antonio 4 months later and got a job at the bank. In the seven months I've worked there I've put on 20 pounds, mainly because there's a McDonald's inside the Wal-Mart that I worked at (instore banks suck!)

For some odd reason, I guess out of stress, I picked up the old habit of eating out of boredom again, and not stopping when eating to see if I was full. I usually ate to stuff myself rather than simply be satisfied. Yeah it's gross, but that's how it was. I quit the job a week ago and am already seeing results, no working out so far (I know, I should really start).

Now that I've told you my life story, I hope that gives you a little bit of insight. Main thing is, ban fast food, eat often but in small portions and you can go with whatever you want in moderation. Another thing, don't drink that much. That threw some weight on me too, for a bit, but alcohol fat for some reason falls off extremely fast when you stop.

I guess that's it. Hope I helped out a little bit. By the way, I never counted calories, and it worked just fine. I paid attention to how much I was eating and was generally happy with the results.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:57:28 PM EDT
The thing that worked for me is counting calories. Two and a half years ago, i was around 270. I'm down to 220 now (I'm 6'6"), and all I've done is count calories. The thing is, if you keep in your calorie limit and are still hungry, you'll eat different foods until you figure out foods that keep you inside your calorie goal and still make you feel full. It may not work as well for others, but I've lost it and kept it off for 2 years now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:04:33 PM EDT

I've tried other diets and they just don't seem to work for me. I always get tempted too much and eat a bit of food I shouldn't be. Soon after that it becomes a little bit more, and then more after that.

I've been trying for the last 3 months and am still at 255 pounds. So I thought I would devise my own diet. It's a bit drastic but I honestly think going cold turkey on the bad foods will be easier than having a little here and a little there. Here's my plan thus far.

Breakfast:
One or two pieces of fruit (i.e. banana, apple, etc).

Lunch:
Large Salad with no dressing (just lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, celery, etc)

Dinner:
Same as lunch.

Can I expect to actually lose some friggin weight on this diet? The way I see it I will be filling myself on food that has pretty much 0 fat and next to no calories. My body will continue to burn at the rate it does and will start hitting these pockets of fat I've accumulated.

I'm debating making breakfast a regular meal with bacon, eggs, bagel, juice, etc, would this be a bad idea? Can I expect any bad side effects from my plan listed above?

my best friend did basically this exact thing a few years ago. The idea was simple: really low calories, far less than you burn in an average day. It worked very well and he lost about 100 lbs. in much less than a year. After he finished his "diet" he started lifting a lot and began to eat much more normaly (although more healthy than before). He has gained probably 20lbs of muscle and has no weight problem anymore. If you have the willpower, a diet like this can be very effective.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:15:27 PM EDT
You do need protien as well as some fat.
I agree go with lots of fruits and vegetables. (raw uncooked veggies are best)
Vegetable soup (cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, garlic maybe some chicken etc..)

One key is to not eat too much. A serving of meat is 4 oz and that seems like a very small amount. You shouls have that 4 oz of fish or lean chicken only 2 or 3 times a week. The other meals should consist mostly of fruits and vegetables. No butter or sour cream on that potato.

A small amount of bread (whole wheat) once a day is OK also.

Cut out all soda even diet.
Just drink water maybe one glass of milk a day. Small amount of cheese again once or twice a week is enough.

Excercise
Drink water
Eat less food
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 8:23:21 PM EDT by SevenMMmag]

Exactly. I can't imagine going through a day eating that, much less for weeks and months.

Instead, how bout a bigger breakfast to compensate for a lighter dinner? A bowl of fruit, some cereal, juice, granola bar, and a couple pieces of plain toast would provide plenty of energy for your day that you'll actually burn. Plus, it's balanced nutrition-wise.

For dinner, you could eat something like baked chicken or FISH, and plenty of veggies.

This diet would be a lot more fun eating, and I would expect you to lose weight when you combine with exercise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:26:26 PM EDT
If your plan isnt made up of changes that are doable for life, then its not going to achieve anything other than set you up for failure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:36:40 PM EDT
Diets do not work. You need to make a permanent life change and start a workout regimen and stick to it. Eat sensibly like a sensible person would and you will lose weight.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:05:59 PM EDT
Looks good to me, but I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I've lost about 20-25 lbs. this year. Mostly by just not eating as much as I did before. Portion control is your friend.

If you can get by on the menu you list, more power to you. I would suggest eating a little more for dinner. Maybe a grilled chicken breast or some canned tuna. Experiment and see what works for you.

I'm pretty much to the point where I can only eat so much without getting sick. Whereas before I started this whole thing, I could eat until I could barely move.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:33:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheLibertarianMind:

I dissagree with ARDOC.

It might be a misconception, but it certainly isn't a misnomer....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:41:29 PM EDT
EAT PROTIEN!Also try having something with calories or carbs to let your body know it dosnt have to store fat because your geting so little. That will cause your body to release its stored enery(aka fat).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:03:41 AM EDT

If you are not in ketosis you are not buring fat. Ketosis is brought about for most people by 2-3 days of less than 20 grams of carbs per day.

Learn about ketosis online good luck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:09:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fizassist:

I dissagree with ARDOC.

It might be a misconception, but it certainly isn't a misnomer....

hehehehehhehehehe

I'm abou tto get back ont eh fitness train. Gained alot of weight this summer due to going up to NY a couple of times, away from my diet, away from my gym, away from my schedule, etc.... Time to get back on. Still planning on goin OCS after grad school. I've got about 18 months to get in shape!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:00:22 AM EDT

I lost 40lbs. in three months.

beakfast: Glass of V8, one egg (cooked with olive oil in the pan, not butter) optional banana.

Mid morning snack: one fruit serving. Non Citrus

Lunch: Turky sandwich (two slices of meat, one slice provolone, lettuce, green peppers, mustard)
(Put more veggies one your sandwich then meat, and only whole grain bread)
optional salad, any veggies especially tomatoes, Olive oil and vinegar

Mid Afternoon snack: Fruit or veggie, non citrus

Dinner: Salad with chicken breast (grilled, and use olive oil if in a pan) or Tuna, Salmon, or lean steak like Fillet, or sirloin. veggie side, (steamed optional)

Dessert: fuck dessert your on diet, and you don't need it

snack before bed: green tea

Drink plenty of water throughout the day
No sugar, not even in citrus fruits
Whole grain bread only
Meats have to be lean (you are what you eat)
no soda or sport drinks, not even diet soda, that shit fucks with your head

You must work out
start by walking.
Go to a gym.
If you can afford it, Invest in a heavy wieght punching bag. get arobic gloves
Box like you mean it, it will take a couple of weeks to strengthin your wrists
Always keep moving when your hitting the bag, that is what is burning the fat.
mind your breathing
You can burn more calories boxing than running, its also more fun. and practical in learning how to fight basics.
Work out before beakfast. or one hour after a meal.
morning is the best cuz it boost your metabolism during the day. (making the diet more effective)
the first 3 days to a week is the hardest.
weigh in only once a week. dont be discurage if the weight is dramaticly diff, your might be replacing fat with muscle.
weigh in the same way every time IE: in the morning after your first shit.

this is the way to go truly i have lost 60lbs since january useing similar BUT being currently over 250, your idea will work but only for about 10 days, then your body will start retaining fat as you are starving it and will turn everything you eat into fat from there,,,You can use your plan for 7 days, to "shock" your system into burning fat and then start the above common sence diet plan.
just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:02:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By smokycity:
Try the 3 hour diet I've lost 20lbs on it. Like the name implies you eat every 3 hours. It's about portion control more than anything, but you can eat anything you want, so long as you stay in the guidelines for portion/calories.

This is one of the better diets. If you starve your body it will adjust your metabolisim and start storing fat because it thinks it may be in for the long haul before eating again. As soon as you go back to eating regularly you will gain the weight back very fast because your body will be anticipating another hunger period.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:13:39 AM EDT
I have lost around 64 pounds on this one:

Breakfast: 3 Egg whites, 1 whole egg. I cup of plain oatmeal or bran cereal.

Snack: Protein shake.

Lunch: Chicken breast or other low fat meat and a cup or two of mixed veggies, no corn.

Dinner: Same as lunch.

That's it. Have fun.

I also do a minimum of 45 minutes of cardio a day...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:14:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By yugosksfan:

Need a new avatar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:20:50 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice y'all. This morning I had some scrambled eggs, bacon, a bagel, and 2 glasses of juice. I'll have a light veggie snack for lunch and a light dinner of some chicken and salad.

Sound decent?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:39:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zer04evr:
Look, diets suck. I lost 30 pounds.

First I figured how much I was eating, then how much I really need. Basically cut my portions in half. Then I started going to the gym alot. 30lbs in 3 months.

Well there it is folks....the right answer: need vs want.

I WANT a snickers bar for breakfast but what I need is an apple with peanut butter on it for the carb/protein/fiber balance. Wash it down with lowfat milk and now you've got the dairy kick to boot (and more protein) Lunch: salad as described above but add grilled chicken or shrimp marinated in fat free italian dressing (I personally dislike Tuna...but if you like it...go for it)
Dinner have a grilled piece of chiken/beef/seafood that's been flavored with a spice rub and stay away from diet drinks: water water water...

Then get at least 3 muscle building days in and 4-5 cardio workouts (at a min of 20 minutes each) and you'll look good, feel better and are not dieting so much as living differently...Once the results start (approx 3 weeks--look for looser clothes not a lower number on the scale) give yourself a cheat day: 1 day a week where you eat and drink what you want (within reason...a whole gallon of icecream is NOT within reason) Cheat days keep your metabolism on alert...

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
For dinner tonight I had the following:

Rice with Zucinni (spelling?)
Mashed Taters
A Slice of Roast Beef
A Pear for desert

Am I on the right track y'all think? I'm just trying to get an idea of if this is these are the proper foods to be going for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
Men's Health Magazine has an e-diet. Check it out. I'm me if you want to see my plan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 5:59:32 PM EDT by roboman]

Originally Posted By Tacberry:
Men's Health Magazine has an e-diet. Check it out. I'm me if you want to see my plan.

IM sent.

I also dug out the dumbbell in my dorm room tonight. I'm going to start light as to not overtrain. I have four 7.5lb weights, four 2.5lb weights as well, and 1 dumbbell to work with. What do y'all have for as many exercises that I can do with these? Here's what I've thought of so far and am about to start doing:

(Everything done in a set of 12-10-8 reps)

Curling of each arm @ 15 lbs
Behind the head arm lift (for triceps) @ 15 lbs
Calf raises @ 30 lbs
Butterfly @ 30 lbs

Any other ideas?

As others have mentioned, developing and building muscles burns calories, so I want to work as many as I can safely and effectively.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:11:52 PM EDT
You aren't getting enough protein or any other nutrient for that matter.
Try one of these:
Blood Type Diet

Paleolithic Diet

Another good site is

Beyond Vegetarianism
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:17 PM EDT
You must get some protein in the diet. Skinless chicken breast, broiled or microwaved. An occasional egg is good protein also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:14:32 PM EDT
No potatoes
No starches
No white bread
No rice

only good carbs

like whole grains

only one to two serving of carb a day max
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:42:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Originally Posted By yugosksfan:

Need a new avatar.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 9:49:47 PM EDT by yugosksfan]

For dinner tonight I had the following:

Rice with Zucinni (spelling?) Good, but make sure the rice is the brown kind, not the refined white rice.
Mashed Taters Go easy on the taters. I only eat them every week or two
A Slice of Roast Beef Good
A Pear for desert Good. If you buy the canned fruit though, make sure it's not in super-heavy syrup. That makes it just like eating a candy bar.

Am I on the right track y'all think? I'm just trying to get an idea of if this is these are the proper foods to be going for.

I'd say you're on the right track Roboman.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top