Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:30:36 PM EDT by roboman]
After watching Top Gun the other day (try not to laugh too hard) I suddenly got a wicked hankering to play a flight sim on my computer. Problem is, I can't find one that includes modern jets that's been made after 2001. The best I can find is Combat Flight Simulator 3 by Microsoft, but that's all WW2 planes. I want to do a negative 4-G inverted dive with a MIG-28 at 2 meters .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:31:58 PM EDT by hughjafj]
Lock on modern Air combat

www.lo-mac.com/
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:31:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:
After watching Top Gun the other day (try not to laugh too hard) I suddenly got a wicked hankering to play a flight sim on my computer. Problem is, I can't find one that includes modern jets that's been made after 2001. The best I can find is Combat Flight Simulator 3 by Microsoft, but that's all WW2 planes. I want to do a negative 4-G inverted dive with a MIG-28 at 2 meters .

And give him the finger!

No clue.

Tag for Future purchase.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:37:21 PM EDT
Just be careful to NOT buy a flight sim at wally world because they will call the LBTs and alert them to it!! True story!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hughjafj:
Lock on modern Air combat

www.lo-mac.com/

Came out early 2004, so I guess that'll have to do.

I was thinking of getting a bitchin' joystick combo to go with it. Any chance this will work with it:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:40:10 PM EDT
Been playing a lot of Falcon 4: Allied Force lately. Bought a Cougar HOTAS to complement the sim. Hell of an experience... Tough learning curve however, it's quite realistic...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:43:08 PM EDT by hughjafj]
It should. You ever heard of the cougar? Supposed to be just like the real thing from a F-16.

cougar.frugalsworld.com/cougarpics.php
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:42:09 PM EDT
Saiteks wear out fast, IMO. I went through two sets of the X.36 (mostly on IL2, though some Falcon 4), and then I wised up and got a CH Fighterstick setup w/pedals.

There is a new Falcon, believe it or not. Something like 'Falcon: Allied Force' (or something like that.) LOMAC is good, but Falcon is still the king of 'modern' sims.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:47:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:
Saiteks wear out fast, IMO. I went through two sets of the X.36 (mostly on IL2, though some Falcon 4), and then I wised up and got a CH Fighterstick setup w/pedals.

There is a new Falcon, believe it or not. Something like 'Falcon: Allied Force' (or something like that.) LOMAC is good, but Falcon is still the king of 'modern' sims.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:04:03 PM EDT
Have you seen X-Plane?

Welcome to the world of props, jets, single- and multi-engine airplanes, as well as gliders, helicopters and VTOLs such as the V-22 Osprey and AV8-B Harrier.

X-Plane comes with subsonic and supersonic flight dynamics, sporting aircraft from the Bell 206 Jet-Ranger helicopter and Cessna 172 light plane to the supersonic Concorde and Mach-3 XB-70 Valkyrie. X-Plane comes with about 40 aircraft spanning the aviation industry (and history), and several hundred more are freely downloadable from the internet.

X-Plane scenery is world-wide, with scenery for the entire planet Earth AND MARS! (thanks to the Mars Orbiting Laser Altimeter, which mapped that planet's elevation) You can land at any of over 18,000 airports, as well as test your mettle on aircraft carriers, helipads on building tops, frigates that pitch and roll in the waves, and oil rigs.

It's $59 and comes on seven DVDs. Windows, Mac and Linux.

Download other Extras including two MIG-28's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:13:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ceeter:
Have you seen X-Plane?

Welcome to the world of props, jets, single- and multi-engine airplanes, as well as gliders, helicopters and VTOLs such as the V-22 Osprey and AV8-B Harrier.

X-Plane comes with subsonic and supersonic flight dynamics, sporting aircraft from the Bell 206 Jet-Ranger helicopter and Cessna 172 light plane to the supersonic Concorde and Mach-3 XB-70 Valkyrie. X-Plane comes with about 40 aircraft spanning the aviation industry (and history), and several hundred more are freely downloadable from the internet.

X-Plane scenery is world-wide, with scenery for the entire planet Earth AND MARS! (thanks to the Mars Orbiting Laser Altimeter, which mapped that planet's elevation) You can land at any of over 18,000 airports, as well as test your mettle on aircraft carriers, helipads on building tops, frigates that pitch and roll in the waves, and oil rigs.

Wow......that sounds pretty intense.....do you get to blow anything up though?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:14:23 PM EDT
Here is a video I made with lock on.

photos.imageevent.com/therivernorth/mymovies/Myjetmovie.wmv

its a fun game.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:44:44 PM EDT
Just so you know.

You can't just pick up Lomac or Falcon and play. It's a strategic nightmare involving every key on your keyboard times 2 (If you count all the "shift" keys)

I tried Falcon for awhile and finally gave up. it just wasn't fun. You have to really be into it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:47:30 PM EDT

Unfortunatley no, but you can do a negative 4-G inverted dive with a MIG-28 at 2 meters .
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:48:07 PM EDT

It was more like 1 and a half......
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:

It was more like 1 and a half......

I've got a great Polaroid of it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MudBug:
You can't just pick up Lomac or Falcon and play. It's a strategic nightmare involving every key on your keyboard times 2 (If you count all the "shift" keys)

Pffft. Sometimes 4: Key, Shift+Key, Ctrl+Key, Alt+Key.

Hey, until they get a cockpit that I can put in my computer room, it'll have to do...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:52:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman: After watching Top Gun the other day (try not to laugh too hard) I suddenly got a wicked hankering to play a flight sim on my computer.
Oh man, I just bought Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition.
But alas, I haven't picked up a flight sim since Longbow 2. That was a nice game, and it runs on new computers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:55:57 PM EDT
"Well we" "Thank you" ..........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:21:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By basketcase:

its a fun game.

Great vid man...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:28:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 0612Devil:

its a fun game.

Great vid man...

Thanks bud.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
Is LOMAC scaleable as far as difficulty goes? Could I start off pretty much with an arcade-like situation and slowly scale my way up?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 6:55:10 PM EDT by basketcase]

Is LOMAC scaleable as far as difficulty goes? Could I start off pretty much with an arcade-like situation and slowly scale my way up?

You can turn somethings down , like no crash , easy radar , and never run out of ammo an ect. It took me sometime to get used to it , but it is a good one. And it is cheap right now , about $30 bucks maybe.

Plus you can make your own missions , so it never really ends. Thire is also a add-on pack out for it as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT

You can turn somethings down , like no crash , easy radar , and never run out of ammo an ect. It took me sometime to get used to it , but it is a good one. And it is cheap right now , about $30 bucks maybe.

Plus you can make your own missions , so it never really ends. Thire is also a add-on pack out for it as well.

Hmmmm.......I'll have to check it out once the next paycheck rolls in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:00:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MudBug:
Just so you know.

I tried Falcon for awhile and finally gave up. it just wasn't fun. You have to really be into it.

Shit, no kidding! Open the books and notice the keyboard "shortcut" guide they give you!!!

There must be 150 different key combinations just to do simple stuff in the game. Stupid.

Btw, does LOMAC even run right these days? All it did was run like shit and blue screen for the first year or so after release.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Misery:
There must be 150 different key combinations just to do simple stuff in the game. Stupid.

Do you have a better solution to recreating cockpit controls for the home user?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 9:09:01 PM EDT by roboman]

I wonder if someone makes a ridiculously detailed control layout that you can hook up via USB (kind of like that gaudy controller for that XBOX Mech game a few years back.

Edit: There! Found a picture of it....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:18:51 PM EDT
Any good flightstick setup will give you scads of controls. It's enough that I can play IL2 without hitting the keyboard, generally. But once you start talking about multiengine, or the uber-indepth radar controls of Falcon, or something along those lines, gotta use those keyboard commands.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:55:28 PM EDT
I've been very pleased by my Saiteks, actually. When my first Cyborg went obsolete, I purchased another, USB one.

I recall that Falcon 4 gives you the option of a 'real' startup. It's about 15 minutes of toggling and button-pushing before you get to start the engine.

Considering how old it is, it's amazing that it's still pretty much the best there is. I must have a look at Allied Force, but I'm still in the Silent Hunter III/Steel Beasts Pro/IL-2 fight. No room for another.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:07:54 AM EDT by Manic_Moran]

its a fun game.

Cool video.

Fine for the F-15 drivers, but if I were the bad guys, I'd trade a couple of Backfires, Fencers and Floggers for three Ticonderogas.

Forgot to mention, two other ones to take a look at are Dangerous Waters, where you get to fly P-3 Orions and SH-60 Sea Hawks, (OK, it's really an ASW sim) and an upcoming one:

Jet Thunder

It's the Air battle over the Falklands. The online campaign for that would be fantastic. It's a war small enough to be feasible, and it would be interesting to see what would have happened had the Argentinians sent their air-air fighters to take on the Harriers in San Carlos. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for it.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:01:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
I've been very pleased by my Saiteks, actually. When my first Cyborg went obsolete, I purchased another, USB one.

I recall that Falcon 4 gives you the option of a 'real' startup. It's about 15 minutes of toggling and button-pushing before you get to start the engine.

Considering how old it is, it's amazing that it's still pretty much the best there is. I must have a look at Allied Force, but I'm still in the Silent Hunter III/Steel Beasts Pro/IL-2 fight. No room for another.

NTM

Wow......talk about in depth!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:16:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran: Jet Thunder It's the Air battle over the Falklands. The online campaign for that would be fantastic. It's a war small enough to be feasible, and it would be interesting to see what would have happened had the Argentinians sent their air-air fighters to take on the Harriers in San Carlos. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for it.
That looks sweet! I'd want to play the Argentine pilots flying the good 'ole A4, but with properly fuzed bombs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:21:30 AM EDT

NTM

That's the kind of stuff I like to hear.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:29:38 AM EDT

I wonder if someone makes a ridiculously detailed control layout that you can hook up via USB (kind of like that gaudy controller for that XBOX Mech game a few years back.

Edit: There! Found a picture of it....

www.capcom.com/newsletter/sb.jpg

Yes. Yes they do.

www.rcsimulations.com/price2.htm

Check out the "Go Flight Control Panels" and the "Seagull" guages.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:30:52 AM EDT
I kind of like my setup.....I wish.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:09:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:

NTM

Well then you will like Faclon 4.0: Allied Force:

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:11:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TexasEd:
I kind of like my setup.....I wish.

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/flightsim.jpg

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:

NTM

Jesus Christ, I had text-books in college that weren't as big as that game's instruction manual.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:19:40 PM EDT
You want to control it? Here check this out...

Clarksmachine

Heres the F-18 Simulator

They have 2 F-16 variations, F-18, wit the F-22 and F-35 in the beginning stages.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:41:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:53:14 PM EDT
If you want reality, Falcon 4 is it (It has since been updated recently)

It is not easy, though
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:01:32 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:06:33 PM EDT

Unfortunatley no, but you can do a negative 4-G inverted dive with a MIG-28 at 2 meters .

well, it is quite difficult, if not impossible, to perform that maneuver.

if you are in an inverted dive, you are pulling positive G.

the negative G requirement would mean that you are pushing the stick forward, which, while inverted, would result in the nose climbing. furthermore, -4G is outside the normal limits of both airframe and human eye.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:13:34 PM EDT

yes--a quite simple one, actually. clickable cockpit, as in jane's f-15e and f/a-18e. when i'd forget the keyboard shortcut, i could always click on the appropriate button.

lack of clickable cockpit is one of the reasons that i dislike lomac. vastly simplified avionics, even at high realism level, are another reason. the only real choices out there are falcon4 and jane's superhornet.

and i'm still using my 7-year-old saitek x36.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:38:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Clarksmachine

Heres the F-18 Simulator

www.clarksmachine.com/img/f18-2.gif
www.clarksmachine.com/img/f18.gif

They have 2 F-16 variations, F-18, wit the F-22 and F-35 in the beginning stages.

No prices on the page anywhere, gotta be around at least 10k though
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:33:27 PM EDT

Clarksmachine

Heres the F-18 Simulator

Add another zero to that, then youll be in the ballpark..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:54 PM EDT

Clarksmachine

Heres the F-18 Simulator

Add another zero to that, then youll be in the ballpark..

I done shat myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:42:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sirensong:

Would you not end up in a negative G inverted dive if you started the maneuver facing straight down, then pushed the stick forward, bringing you slowly back to horizontal? You're still diving, if that's interpreted as losing altitude.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:55:26 PM EDT

Have you seen X-Plane?

X-Plane REALLY isn't for someone looking for a Combat Sim. It's for someone looking for a grown-up version of Flight Simulator. I personally like X-Plane as a novelty (once in a while, just fly around. Fun especially considering the ability to fly in the Martian atmosphere for an extra-challenging flight model). Comparing it to a combat-sim is apples-to-oranges.

I'd recommend the IL-2 series (Forgotten Battes with the addons), Falcon 4.0 w/ aftermarket addons (there's nothing that the newly released Falcon has which the aftermarket doesn't, except for an inordinate amount of LAG). LO:MAC is okay.

I don't know if anyone can consider it a flight-sim of any sort, but X3:Reunion is fun (bitch of a learning curve, though; very involved game)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:05:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sirensong:

Would you not end up in a negative G inverted dive if you started the maneuver facing straight down, then pushed the stick forward, bringing you slowly back to horizontal? You're still diving, if that's interpreted as losing altitude.

NTM

interesting point. but then again, look at a tailslide, where you are losing altitude, but the nose is pointing up--it isn't considered to be a dive. i don't think a flat spin would be considered a dive, either. so maybe it is nose attitude coupled with altitude loss, in which case you'd be right.

any actual pilots around to clear this up?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top