Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:44 AM EDT
I have a Dell desktop with DVD FAB Platium DVD copying software as well as Nero 7 Ultimate version. The only DVD's I have burnt were copies, but neither software worked with DVD-R discs. They worked fine with DVD+R's. Is there any darn difference between the -R and +R? I am NOT going to be copying movies or the like, I have some documentaries that were made onto DVD that I want to copy for some friends. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:34:15 AM EDT
Different formats, both compatible with DVD players...

However, not all DVD recorders can handle both formats - some are +-R, some are +R, and some are -R...

Re-writable DVD is even wierder, you have +RW, -RW, +RAM, and -RAM

And of course, then there's dual-layer...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:35:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:37:02 AM EDT
You need to find the specs on your DVD burner, I have a hunch your burner isn't capable burning to the DVD -R format.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
There are slight differences between -Rs and +Rs.

The -Rs are for older DVD recorders and players.

The newer +Rs are for later equipment.

Some equipment is compatible with either format, -R/+R, and will figure out which is which electronically

For some computer equipment, +Rs will record faster than the equivalent version -R, I personally buy +Rs whenever I buy them at the store when they are avaiable.

After you record on the either +R or -R they play back all of the same, at least on computer equipment.

My son has a Dell 9100 laptop computer, and the owner's manual specifies DVD+Rs, and NOT DVD-Rs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:43:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:
You need to find the specs on your DVD burner, I have a hunch your burner isn't capable burning to the DVD -R format.

Can you fill this old man in on how to get the specs on my DVD burner. I have a Dimension 2400 desk top that is about 2 years old. When I go to My Computer this is the info I get for it: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:13 AM EDT
think of it like VHS and BETA from the video tape standpoint.

your drive should say what it will support in the documentation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 9:57:11 AM EDT by warlord]

Originally Posted By 91stsps:

Can you fill this old man in on how to get the specs on my DVD burner. I have a Dimension 2400 desk top that is about 2 years old. When I go to My Computer this is the info I get for it: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

From the Dell support website:
support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p60337/en/specs.htm
You drive doesn't support writing on DVD-Rs, you can only write on DVD+Rs. But you can read from DVD-Rs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:02:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 91stsps:

That's the important piece of info right there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
Thanks for clarifying this for me, up until now I had no clue there was any difference.
Top Top