Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:44 AM EDT
I have a Dell desktop with DVD FAB Platium DVD copying software as well as Nero 7 Ultimate version.  The only DVD's I have burnt were copies, but neither software worked with DVD-R discs.  They worked fine with DVD+R's.  Is there any darn difference between the -R and +R?   I am NOT going to be copying movies or the like, I have some documentaries that were made onto DVD that I want to copy for some friends.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Different formats, both compatible with DVD players...

However, not all DVD recorders can handle both formats - some are +-R, some are +R, and some are -R...

Re-writable DVD is even wierder, you have +RW, -RW, +RAM, and -RAM

And of course, then there's dual-layer...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to find the specs on your DVD burner, I have a hunch your burner isn't capable burning to the DVD -R format.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
There are slight differences between -Rs and +Rs.

The -Rs are for older DVD recorders and players.

The newer +Rs are for later equipment.

Some equipment is compatible with either format, -R/+R, and will figure out which is which electronically

For some computer equipment, +Rs will record faster than the equivalent version -R, I personally buy +Rs whenever I buy them at the store when they are avaiable.

After you record on the either +R or -R they play back all of the same, at least on computer equipment.

My son has a Dell 9100 laptop computer, and the owner's manual specifies DVD+Rs, and NOT DVD-Rs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You need to find the specs on your DVD burner, I have a hunch your burner isn't capable burning to the DVD -R format.

Can you fill this old man in on how to get the specs on my DVD burner.  I have a Dimension 2400 desk top that is about 2 years old.  When I go to My Computer this is the info I get for it: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
think of it like VHS and BETA from the video tape standpoint.

your drive should say what it will support in the documentation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you fill this old man in on how to get the specs on my DVD burner.  I have a Dimension 2400 desk top that is about 2 years old.  When I go to My Computer this is the info I get for it: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

From the Dell support website:
support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/p60337/en/specs.htm
You drive doesn't support writing on DVD-Rs, you can only write on DVD+Rs.  But you can read from DVD-Rs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the important piece of info right there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for clarifying this for me, up until now I had no clue there was any difference.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top