Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 3:26:42 PM EDT
Heading out with a few toys. In addition to the guns in the pic I am going to have a USP 45 and a Super RedHawk in there as well. The TSA & ticket counter agents might be a tad uncomfortable.
Whatdaya think?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be ok. DO NOT let them mark it as containing firearms. It is against federal law.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Off the top of my head, I think there is a limit to the number of firearms to be checked by one passenger... Lemme look.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I certainly HOPE they don't have a problem with it.

When I go back to MO this fall to hunt I'm gonna have my .270 and a shorty AR in a case, as well as my Sig and HiPower in another.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A few things I noticed,  you  mat have already thougth of this but,

I do belive the mags must be unloaded
Also that looks like a OC/ pepper spray can holder ( leather ) Lat time I flew any type of OC was a big no no.

Other than that it looks good to me
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Off the top of my head, I think there is a limit to the number of firearms to be checked by one passenger... Lemme look.

Some airlines have limits, like 2. But I know of quite a few people who have taken 3 or 4 guns with them. What carrier are you using?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Not an issue with the TSA, but each carrier has a limit of no charge checked bags.  Check out this:

www.nwa.com/travel/tips/baggage.html#firearms
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Try going to a .50 match and having to go through check in. The counter doofuses always let out a "Gawdamn, what a gun!" every time. People around stretch their necks and then avoid you like you have the plague.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
TERRORIST!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I would take the mags out, if possible and keep them with you.  If not, I would mail them to your destination.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Enjoy your cavity search!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
No loaded mags big guy. Unload 'em and put 'em in a different package.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Every airline sets their own policy in addition to the TSA regulations.  You need to check with the airline you are traveling on for their regulations.  They usually restrict you to only two guns per hard case.  You also need to pack the ammo in the original  boxes.

From the TSA:

Travelers & Consumers      
Transporting Special Items

Firearms and Ammunition

Firearms - There are specific regulatory requirements to transport a firearm:

* The firearm must be checked with the air carrier as luggage. Firearms are prohibited from carry-on baggage.
   * The firearm must be declared orally or in writing in accordance with the air carriers procedures (contact your air carrier for their specific procedures).
   * The firearm must be unloaded.
   * The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
   * The container must be locked and only the passenger may retain the key or combination.

All checked baggage is subject to inspection. If during the inspection process it is necessary to open the container, air carriers are required to locate the passenger and the passenger must unlock the container for further inspection. The firearm may not be transported if the passenger can not be located to unlock the container. If you are traveling with a firearm, pay close attention to airport pages and announcements. If requested, provide the cooperation necessary to inspect your firearm.

Ammunition - Ammunition is likewise prohibited from carry-on luggage. Ammunition may not be carried loose. It must travel in the manufacturer's packaging or other packaging suitable for transport. Consult your air carrier to determine quantity limitations or whether the ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#16]
SouthWest Airlines

58 lbs Allowed 70
They say you can have multipial firearms in one case.
Loaded mags are ok as long as the primer is protected or in a cutout in the foam.
Leather case is a knife. Should be ok.

Do I have everything covered?

Check out the link.

www.southwest.com/travel_center/guns.html
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
go to the TSA website, it will have all the regs so you can tell them to fuck-off if they say you can't bring it on a plane
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The TSA might not say much, as long as you call the airline ahead of time, notify them that you will be transporting a cased firearm on the plane as checked luggage. Get the names and cities of each person you talk to from the airline (voice of experience talking here...).

But, once at your destination, some states and airports might not take too kindly to loaded mags and firearms being in the same container while you are driving....

By law, for int'l travel, you can bring up to 2.2 lbs. of cartridge ammo with you in your checked luggage, separate from your firearm. Not sure about domestic anymore- it's been a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as you can keep your mouth shut, you should be fine, with one exception. Those mags will probably have to be empty.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
How about flying into California?

I'm going to L.A. in two weeks, with a side trip to Vegas and the desert. I'd like to take my Rem 700 7mm Mag out to the (Arizona or Nevada) desert, since long range shooting is scarce here in Michigan.

Does Cal. have any issues with bolt rifles? I forgot since I left there 12 years ago. Things have probably changed since then.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Those mags will probably have to be empty.

Well I have checked around (TSA & Southwest web sites) and it appears for the most part they leave it up to the carrier airline. Southwest says I can carry loaded mags in the case if secured in a cutout in the foam.

I think I have it covered and dont expect any problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#22]
No problem.   I've flown with multiple subguns in the case.  The TSA guys "inspected" them a bit longer than most of the other baggage.  After they closed the case & locked my locks, the one guy came over to me (yes, I stand there and wait while they check my stuff) and said "Hey, that's some cool stuff you have there.  I had to show my buddy" (other TSA guy).  

Another time, I told the TSA guy I had declared guns in the case (MAC10 & SBR) while he loaded it into the big X-ray machine.  The guy watching the monitor had a bored look on his face.  Then my case came up, and he got a big grin.  I could just see him thinking "Hey, cool"!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Just got back

When I first got to the airport and informed the SW rep that I had firearms she had to call over some senior
rep to inspect them because she said she didn't have a clue as to what needs to be complied with.
Senior rep says the mags MUST be unloaded as per SW policy. I quickly whipped out the printout from the SW web page and she read it and said "uh..... OK I guess so but TSA REQUIRES the mags to be unloaded and you wont make it past them". I replied I am ready for them to (waving my other print out over my head with a big grin). So I next go over to the baggage screen area to ge the firearms looked at by TSA. The girl there immediately said "are you the one who called the screening station asking for info on firearms?" I said yes and informed them that I had 4 firearms that I am checking. They opened it up and after a min or 2 formed a football huddle with lots of whispering for about 3 min. Finally someone stated to look at the firearms to make sure they were unloaded but he says he cant touch the firearms on top of the foam that is covering the AR15 & AR10 (the RedHawk and the USP were on a seperate sheet of foam on top. So he CAREFULLY lifts the edge of the foam around the RedHawk and the USP so they don't move and trys to look underneath. I have no idea what he thought he was accomplishing as he could not have seen mush using that method. At this point the football huddle group steps back ( I thought they would yell "ready break") and they all shake their heads up and down and agree that the loaded mags should be ok (the SW agent storms off mumbling).

So I get to phoenix and shoot for 5 days and come back to the airport.
TSA want me to give them my keys to the case and I refused. I told them its against the law for me to give up the key and I would be happy to unlock it for them. The low man on the pole guys starts telling me he has done it this way for years and almost DEMANDS I give it up. I calmly replied no and repeated my offer. He starts to turn red and shouts out the one of his buddies to get so and so up here stat. So and So gets up there and tells me the same story but is much nicer about it however I just repeated my offer. He says he was recently appointed supervisor and will have to get someone senior to him to make the call because I cant touch the case after it has been X-rayed and suggests maybe one of us can learn something one way or another. I said that it sounded like a good idea. At that point a phoenix airport police officer walks by and one of the TSA guys shouts hey that guy can straighten him (me) out. The new supervisor guy shakes his head and says NO. So the big shot guy gets there and asks whats the problem I told him and repeated my offer and he immediately says bring that case over here so this man can unlock it. Simple as that. Duh......so back to texas I go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Unload the magazines.  AFAIK, ammunition must be in a SEPARATE locked container, and the limit is like 11lb for ammunition.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Heading out with a few toys. In addition to the guns in the pic I am going to have a USP 45 and a Super RedHawk in there as well. The TSA & ticket counter agents might be a tad uncomfortable.
Whatdaya think?

www.myonlineimages.com/Members/1776/images/FoamCutOut.jpg

I think you are so fucked .

Good luck guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top