Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The enemy of my enemy?

NYET
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nations do not have friends. Nations have interests.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nations do not have friends. Nations have interests.

DA.  And for the foreseeable future, Russia's interests coincide with ours.  Both countries have a vested interest in the Caucuses and the 'Stans, and both view China and India as increasing threats.  Russia could be one of our most important allies over the next few decades if we can help them get their shit together.

Plus, I wanna go to work for the .gov in Eastern Europe or Russia 'cause I love vodka and hot poor womenz.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted No which made it 50-50 (6 each choice).

Nations are like corporations.  We cooperate and also compete.  The concept of friendliness doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Nations do not have friends. Nations have interests

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The enemy of my enemy?

NYET

Actually it's HET
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
the enemy of my ememy is my friend......
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I checked yes - but my real answer would be sort-of.  They can be an ally in our war on terror but their history and politics are somewhat contrary to ours.  

Take advantage of the situation.  If the Ruskies want to cooperate in the war - good for us.  If they want to continue with back door politics and behind-the-scenes dealings with bad guys (Iraq, pre-invasion), we'll address that as well.

JMHO

Nicely stated.  I agree.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm on the fence on this one.  It remains to be seen how they will react to terrorism.  It would be a nice pipe drem for the 2 nations to work together, but the Russians are a pretty secret nation.  I have a feeling they will go it alone...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
NO

AB
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes...at least in the WOT...that Beslan school massacre was Russia's 9/11...Putin's gonna drop the hammer on those fuckers now...just you watch...it's gonna be awesome...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just remember the last time the Rooskies fought Islamic extremists. Didnt they get their asses kicked? Remember Russia is fighting with an obsolete army, not the high-tech one we rely on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys need to get the movie "The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming".  That will surely change your minds.

As stated, no nations are truly friends.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
What about Israel and Britain? I'm sure many consider them our friends. But hey if it suited us well I'm sure we would stab them in the back and vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Russia was second only to France in the food for oil exploit in Iraq.  Which is also why they voted against action.  They had economic interests in keeping Sadam in power.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just remember the last time the Rooskies fought Islamic extremists. Didnt they get their asses kicked? Remember Russia is fighting with an obsolete army, not the high-tech one we rely on.

You talkin' 'bout Afghanistan???  The USA was supporting the mujahideen...the SOVIETS were fighting the USA in a proxy war...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You talkin' 'bout Afghanistan???  The USA was supporting the mujahideen...the SOVIETS were fighting the USA in a proxy war...

Kinda like convincing the retarded kid next door to sucker punch the guy across the street.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am also talking about Chechnya. The only way they could fight that war was to level cities. We took over an entire nation in less than a month. Sure our occupation is a bit rough, but the US is 10 times better at fighting terror than the Russians ever will be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What about Israel and Britain? I'm sure many consider them our friends. But hey if it suited us well I'm sure we would stab them in the back and vice versa.

No doubt.  Remember "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan--Red" from the 1920-1930's on what we would do if we went to war with Great Britian.  I betcha there are current classified documents tucked away somewhere that have similar plans, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Israel maybe but it would take a hell of a lot for Britain and the USA to be hostile. I agree with the idea that Nations don't have friends (this applies very well with Israel) but our relationship with Britain is about as close to actual friendship as you are likely to find in the world.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Israel better be our allie...they are the reason 9/11 happened in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Israel better be our allie...they are the reason 9/11 happened in the first place.

you tell em Leibstandarte...well maybe you better not.  I don't think the Israelis would care for your name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top