Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/25/2002 8:42:18 PM EDT
I haven't heard anything about him in awhile. Tonight the History channel had a thing about him. I didn't watch the whole thing but everyone was talking like he was dead. [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:52:29 PM EDT
Have not heard anything lately. Believe me, it will be big news when he goes.[:(]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:55:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By extremeright101_: Have not heard anything lately. Believe me, it will be big news when he goes.[:(]
View Quote
HUGE NEWS!! That man deserves a monument!! SGtar15
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:59:21 PM EDT
Like extremeright said, it will make the news big time. Hell, the lib dems will be dancing in the streets, sick bastards that they are. On a side note, I hope he doesn't linger too long in end-stage alzheimers. I've got an aunt in the hospital right now going through it. She won't eat (has to be tube fed), and she is exhibiting some other strange "quirks". Nobody should have to suffer that way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:59:44 PM EDT
That's right. He was the Man. I'm reading a book about his presidency and the effect it had on the Navy/Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:12:40 PM EDT
Truly a hero. Who knows...maybe his policies which forced the USSR to its knees might have saved the world from nuclear annhilation. Its something we'll NEVER know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:17:16 PM EDT
I'm sure all the air controllers will get together and put flowers on his monument.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2002 9:22:31 PM EDT by llanero]
AND all of us affected by the '86 MG ban... AND all the relatives of Central American civilians massacred by troops supported by his Western Hemisphere foreign policies... Oh well, at least he was better than Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:32:57 PM EDT
Yeah, I like the part where he didn't get a BLOWJOB in the Oval Office...
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:34:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Originally Posted By extremeright101_: Have not heard anything lately. Believe me, it will be big news when he goes.[:(]
View Quote
HUGE NEWS!! That man deserves a monument!! SGtar15
View Quote
He's getting a monument in the form of a $5,000,000,000 aircraft carrier.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:09:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BusMaster007: Yeah, I like the part where he didn't get a BLOWJOB in the Oval Office...
View Quote
NOW NANCY
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:17:57 AM EDT
This fine man won the Cold War singlehandedly! When you tuck your children into bed tonight and don't have to worry about Soviet missiles raining down on them, or their schools don't have to teach them how to squinch themselves into little human balls in the hallways, with their heads covered, as their only protection against incoming Soviet ICBMs, then you and your children owe it all to the Gipper! In Albania, probably the fiercest of the Marxist/Communist regimes in Europe, after the fall of Communism in that country, the newly elected people's representatives commissioned a statue to be built on the main plaza outside their new Legislature. It is the statue of a man and woman, arm in arm, and underneath, the inscription: [b]'The Liberators'[/b]. The identity of the man and woman? Why [b]Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher[/b], of course!!!! Who were you expecting? The European founders of the 'Nuclear Freeze' movements? Get real! [:D] Eric The(GodBlessRonaldReagan!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:28:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT: I haven't heard anything about him in awhile. Tonight the History channel had a thing about him. I didn't watch the whole thing but everyone was talking like he was dead. [>:/]
View Quote
I noticed the same thing. Perhaps its people way pf dealing with his illness since they he is no longer the "person" they knew? Aviator
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:29:13 AM EDT
[b]Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:46:35 AM EDT
I thought the same thing! There were a couple mentions of him on TV yesterday, then the show on the History Channel. I even asked my GF if he died. I was in the Navy during the Carter and Reagan years. I was there while Carter destroyed the military and Reagan rebuilt it. We got our first raise in years (I think it was only 3% the first year) within a year after he took office. They next year we got 7%! I think it brought my base pay up to a whopping $450/mo!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:03:06 AM EDT
The ONLY criticism I could possibly come up with regarding Reagan is that he wasn't as rabidly pro-gun as I would have liked. There IS that bag-o-shit '86 MG ban to contend with. Otherwise, well, I can only hope and pray that we'll again have another STATESMAN like Reagan in the Oval Office, someday soon. Reagan was one of a very few politicians who rose above the level of other politicians to earn the title of statesman. I don't see any contenders for that title anywhere on the political landscape right now. I guess that means I'll just have to run for President myself, and fix THAT problem! [:D] "Hail to the Chief, I'm the Chief and I need hailing..." My grandmother died at the end of a long decline due to Alzheimer's. You don't want to go there, but if you did, you'd never know it. It's not like you wake up some morning to discover your pecker fell off or something overtly tragic like that, but it's bad enough in its own right. I think that I'll take up skydiving. If I should end up with Alzheimer's and there's no cure for it, by the time I'm forgetting things that are REALLY CRITICAL, well, I'll solve my own problem by forgetting to yank the cord and that's that. Death by misadventure, had fun while doing it. Somebody grab a shovel and a mop. "Cleanup on aisles four, five, and six!" Reagan is definitely still alive. You WILL know it when he reaches the end of the line, no doubt about it. Expect TV coverage to be pre-empted for a few days when it happens. The first time I voted was the '84 Presidential Election, (I guess I was 19) and yes, I voted for Reagan. CJ
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2002 6:07:39 AM EDT by California_Kid]
I saw the show and had the same thoughts! When you have seen someone slip over the edge with Alzheimer's Disease or any other major neurological problem it's not hard to understand the attitude. The show was done in anticipation of his physical death, which may still be a few years away. The producers were gently telling us that he isn't all there and that we should prepare ourselves for the end. There is nothing quite so tragic as seeing someone with a fine mind lose it. Last night's show touched a nerve because right now I have an uncle who is dying of brain cancer. I've spoken to him recently and exchanged letters. My brother and I visited him in May, and he was still rather lucid then but now he is not. If you talk to him you quickly begin to wonder if he knows who you are. Everyone in the family is quietly wishing it would end soon. The ability of our doctors to keep people alive on IV drugs and machines has outpaced our understanding of quality of life.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2002 6:15:40 AM EDT by DarkFuture]
Originally Posted By jem375: I'm sure all the air controllers will get together and put flowers on his monument.....
View Quote
Well, they will put "something" on the monument. I was working at a large Proctor & Gamble sawmill during that time, and we had two fired controllers come to work there. They had a MAJOR dose of culture shock adjusting to hardhats, caulked boots and the rough world of mill life. Clearing a debarker jam at 2 AM with a chainsaw was a world away from an ATCC, and they didn't last long. [img]http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:19:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By llanero: AND all of us affected by the '86 MG ban... AND all the relatives of Central American civilians massacred by troops supported by his Western Hemisphere foreign policies... Oh well, at least he was better than Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale.
View Quote
1986 was a complicated legislative year for Reagan. Oil prices had collapsed in December 1985, Real Estate Investment Trust tax havens were gutted by the Democratic Congress, the beginnings of the Savings and Loan debacle brought on by the Democrat TEFRA tax bill were starting, Castro's influence in the western hemisphere was in full retreat and European Communism was going unstable heading toward downfall. The Democratic House majority leader (Wright?) was throwing so much SHIT at Reagan we a gunowners were lucky to get by with the MG ban alone. Reagan DID NOT author that legislation, he was forced to sign it to get more important legislation through a treacherous Democrat-controlled Congress.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:21:25 AM EDT
My father teaches college accounting in San Diego County. Back then, he had a student that was an air traffic controller at Palomar Airport making $75K. During the time Reagan gave the order of returning back to work or be fired, this guy stated that he would not go back to work but continue to strike. I wonder what that guy is doing now. He was crazy to give up a job with that salary back then.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:32:54 AM EDT
I signed up with uncle to work for Ronald Reagan. I may still be a little starry-eyed, but he is my favorite president. I know he has suffered the loss of everything he was, but he is still a LIVING symbol of what makes America great. I will be sad when he passes on... [USA]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:50:57 AM EDT
Originally posted by BusMaster700: Yeah, I like the part where he didn't get a BLOWJOB in the Oval Office...
View Quote
Yeah, or divert missile technology and nuclear secrets to the Chinese for campaign contributions... .
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:10:15 AM EDT
Yeah, Reagan was a pure politician...he promised the air controllers he would do his best to take care of the problems they were facing in his speech to them and then didn't do a damn thing for them......they had been trying to settle a federal contract for years, and had been working without one in that time.....forced overtime, just too many hours worked to do their jobs safely...... Don't get me wrong, I voted for him, but, in this case, he could have done a better job...He promised to end the contract dispute, and boy, he did.....And there were so many near misses, it was a wonder he did not kill thousands of people aboard the planes.......
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:13:51 AM EDT
I dont think so, but as far as alzhiemers goes, he might as well be.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:16:08 AM EDT
I know it's not an excuse but he probably wasn't as pro gun as he could be after getting shot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:17:51 AM EDT
It was clearly illegal for the air traffic controllers to go on strike. He fired their asses because they [b]deserved[/b] it. Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:22:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MadProfessor: I dont think so, but as far as alzhiemers goes, he might as well be.
View Quote
Gosh, that's about it, too. I have a father who has Alzheimer's. As I say to my brother, 'Dad is dead----we just haven't had the funeral yet'. [:(]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:39:39 PM EDT
Sure it was illegal,but, he sure didn't talk that way when he gave a speech to all the air controllers.....shake their hands, lie a little, and then stab them in the back with the other.....typical politician.....He was supposed to work with the federal mediators, but, obviously didn't........Oh, well, that part of history is over.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:22:28 PM EDT
a nice lil tidbit of trivia. how many of you know Ronold Reagan started out as a Democrat? yep one of the greatest Republicans this country has seen was once a liberal. whenever i think of this i think there is hope.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2002 5:59:15 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
Regarding the air traffic controllers that Reagan fired: Fuck them. They deserved more than just getting fired, they should have been brought up on charges. They made a damned good wage in a prestigous job that carried great responsibility. They were well ahead of the game as far as employment was concerned. They struck illegally out of raw greed. Apparently they didn't think their very good pay and benefits were good enough. So they broke the law to strike and caused injury to huge numbers of people who wanted nothing more than to take a plane to where they were going. And then they disobeyed a direct order to return to work or be fired. It's shocking to know that some of the were very shocked when the President turned out to be as good as his word and got fired with extreme prejudice, and (if I remember correctly) also banned from ever holding a government job again. Damn right, they deserved it. CJ
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:56:32 PM EDT
Well, it wasn't money or benefits that was the problem, it was safety.....Reagan didn't give a damn about any workers, he was in Hollywood and rich, and the people he ran around with were also rich and powerful......The average worker was just someone he could con into voting for him, and he did a good job......The Democrats didn't have anyone to run against him anyway...
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:05:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aviator: Originally Posted By SUPERSPORT: I haven't heard anything about him in awhile. Tonight the History channel had a thing about him. I didn't watch the whole thing but everyone was talking like he was dead. [>:/] I noticed the same thing. Perhaps its people way pf dealing with his illness since they he is no longer the "person" they knew?
View Quote
No he's not dead... the latest info I heard was that he was unable to talk any more. I've been there, I know what Nancy is going through. Reagan might as well be dead. You die a little every day. It's rough (to put it lightly). If anybody here is ever diagnosed with this horrible disease, do the right thing for your loved ones who would bear the burden of taking care of you: point the gun at your own head and pull the trigger.
Top Top