Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 2:44:13 AM EDT
Looking online at rifle kits for a KISS type carbine/throwdown rifle.

Is the PSA PTAC kits still the cheapest available?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Step up a hair to the Freedom kits. Solid rifles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Freedom mo betta.

I have a bunch of their lowers on workhorse rifles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Does PSA only use FN barrels? I noticed some of their kits list the barrels are chrome moly FN hammer forged, and others do not...namely the cheapo $360-$380 kits and uppers.

Inquiring minds and all
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does PSA only use FN barrels? I noticed some of their kits list the barrels are chrome moly FN hammer forged, and others do not...namely the cheapo $360-$380 kits and uppers.

Inquiring minds and all
View Quote

The premium line does. I doubt the lower end models do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
In order from best to "worst" of the PSA line:

CHF/Premium
Freedom
PTAC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered from PSA and it was cheaper to get their slickside PTAC complete upper and freedom lower build kit vs the combined "kit".  It was $359 before shipping.

I have exactly $440 in my cheapo driveway rifle (not counting rear sight)  (Local Anderson lower was $65 OTD)
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:15:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just ordered from PSA and it was cheaper to get their slickside PTAC complete upper and freedom lower build kit vs the combined "kit".  It was $359 before shipping.

I have exactly $440 in my cheapo driveway rifle (not counting rear sight)  (Local Anderson lower was $65 OTD)
View Quote

I was looking at the PTAC with mil spec upper with FA and DC. It was going to be cheaper for me to order just the upper and BCG from them and order the LPK and buffer kit locally.

I would piece it together off the EE to get it cheaper but i really want a FSB on a carbine barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got one of their 16" Freedom melonite rifle kits delivered yesterday. It's a midlength gas, 1:7 barrel with the A2 FSB. I've already swapped it into an A2 upper receiver. When my Tapco lowers get here from Cope's, my cheapie A2 truck gun will be complete.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#9]
For a "cheapest build possible" i prefer something like the Radical uppers with their free float fgs forend.   Ends up cheaper than PSA's cheapest, and it's a solid handguard and melonited barrel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a "cheapest build possible" i prefer something like the Radical uppers with their free float fgs forend.   Ends up cheaper than PSA's cheapest, and it's a solid handguard and melonited barrel.
View Quote

I've heard of a hell of a lot more problems with Radical's products than I have PSA's, which is amazing considering they sell a fraction of what PSA sells. No way would I buy anything made by Radical.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've heard of a hell of a lot more problems with Radical's products than I have PSA's, which is amazing considering they sell a fraction of what PSA sells. No way would I buy anything made by Radical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.  I've heard and seen quite the opposite by a landslide, here on arfcom, as well as had the personal experience to match. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of threads with issues ranging from quality control to wrong product, with each thread having numerous people with similar complaints.  I've only seen a handful of threads about radical, and most of those are "I've heard they suck" and not "I have had bad product from them"
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Inquiring minds and all
View Quote

Read the description carefully and don't assume anything.  If it doesn't say FN barrel in the description, it isn't.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Throwdown rifle?

Like before the police arrive, you plant an ar-15 on the dead perp you just shot?
"But officer, he had an evil black rifle!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Throwdown rifle?

Like before the police arrive, you plant an ar-15 on the dead perp you just shot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throwdown rifle?

No. Like a truck/trunk/spare/irons only beat the hell out of it gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

CHF/Premium
Freedom
PTAC
View Quote

Where does the "Classic" fit in there?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Inquiring minds and all
View Quote

answered below, but no.  Premium with 270 blah blah machine gun steel is FN - they have also used Wilson
in the past.  PTAC and Freedom no clue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Worst and Best in the PSA line:

Worst: PTAC

Best: All the others.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The problem is if you get a "bargain" PSA rifle for 350 and spend another 150 for a BCG and CH, then realize when BCM has one of their "get a BCG and CH free" sales and you spend another 200 bucks for something that is infinitely better...

It all depends on whether you plan on shooting it a lot or not.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing wrong with PTAC nowadays if you want a cheap rifle. They had initial teething issues, but I think they're well past that.

Had a PTAC upper out on the range Saturday, and was hitting a 300 yard gong with irons. For the money its a fine upper.

Also have 3 PTAC lowers (even SBR'ed one ), no issues. They seem on par with Anderson lowers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Del-Ton
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why so bad?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why so bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why so bad?

They aren't so bad; they're just not as good as the others.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHF/Premium
Freedom
PTAC

As far as the classic goes, I don't see a distinct line of uppers labeled classic without being labeled freedom also so I would say they're freedom series. Of course I don't know everything so treat my opinion as worth as much as you paid for it
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As far as the classic goes, I don't see a distinct line of uppers labeled classic without being labeled freedom also so I would say they're freedom series. Of course I don't know everything so treat my opinion as worth as much as you paid for it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CHF/Premium
Freedom
PTAC

Sorry, it's a lower

i'm kinda new to PSA. bought the classic lower and have a freedom upper on order.

Went back to check they didn't have a CHF/Premium upper in 16" stainless liteweight. soo its fine & dandy
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Think i may order this from PSA and build the rest from EE, sales, etc...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#26]
You should be good to go with that barrel. Never tried a Nitride from them but I've heard good things.

Don't wait too long on the build though. Parts are gonna be HAAAAAAAAAAARD to find come summer/fall and into perpetuity if Clinton is elected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top