Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2005 7:15:16 PM EDT
Does anyone remember her? Is she a lesbian?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:17:00 PM EDT
Who cares? That dyke has pipes!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:17:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JPPJ:

I fucked her.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:18:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArevaloSOCOM:

I fucked her.

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:20:11 PM EDT
Who is Natalie Merchant? Never heard of the woman.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:20:22 PM EDT
Who?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
singer from 10,000 maniacs
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:21:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Who?

Never heard of 10000 Maniacs?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:22:14 PM EDT
She's strangely attractive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:22:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:

Who?

Only the regular members of DU. Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:22:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Damocles:
Who is Natalie Merchant? Never heard of the woman.

Former lead singer of 10,000 Maniacs, then a semi sucessful solo artist in the 'pop' genre.

Don't know about her sexual orientation, but I do know that she is a back to nature tree hugging freak. The deck is stacked against her being straight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:23:18 PM EDT
I think that she and Michael Stipe hooked up.

That would make sense. They are both gay.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:23:24 PM EDT
Why doesn't this thread have pics?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:23:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

She's very alluring and her voice is like that of a siren.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:24:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 7:26:01 PM EDT by IamtheNRA]

I'd hit it...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:24:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:

Who?

Heard OF them, but never listened to them....
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:24:34 PM EDT

10 years ago. I haven't seen hide nor hair of her in the last decade. Last I heard, she lived in some old house in upstate NY that didn't have electricity. She washed her clothes in a nearby river/creek. Pretty odd chick.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:24:38 PM EDT
She's not at all attractive

Most of you have heard her music though, you just don't realize it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:26:24 PM EDT
Who cares, she's a RAGING freaking liberal.

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:26:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:
Why doesn't this thread have pics?

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IamtheNRA:
www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/nataliem01.jpg

I'd hit it...

I did.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 7:30:05 PM EDT by thompsondd]

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.

a BIG +1 on that one

from her website:

New York, NY
December 10, 2004

I said in my last letter that I would write again when the shock and disappointment of the recent election had passed...well, that has happened. I've moved from shock and disappointment, through rage to abject despair.

You may have noticed sudden changes in the site, that several familiar sections have disappeared. The reason for this is that we are in the process of redesigning nataliemerchant.com. We expect to deliver a brand new site at the end of the winter.

Although I am not currently working on a new studio album, there are several projects in process, some already available to the public and some due to be released in the near future.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:28:33 PM EDT

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.

Yep. Here's a link to Amazon. The "These are Days" and "Trouble Me" were radio songs.

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002HEM/103-7059726-5811035?v=glance
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:28:36 PM EDT

I'd hit it...

I did.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:29:40 PM EDT
She may be a tree-hugging liberal, but "These Are Days" is one of my favorite songs...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:29:45 PM EDT

I'd hit it...

I did.

I never said where.

Fucked her right in her liberal ass.

Fuck her.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:32:56 PM EDT

I'd hit it...

I did.

I never said where.

Fucked her right in her liberal ass.

Fuck her.

Yup...you and 60 million other people...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:33:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 7:33:33 PM EDT by thompsondd]

She may be a tree-hugging liberal, but "These Are Days" is one of my favorite songs...

Don't be a 'girly man' man!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:33:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

I suggest you quit watching Oprah and go get dirty doing something manly.

Okay...I'll cornhole your mother while listening to ABBA...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
All you guys that fucked her? I hope you didn't kiss her! If so, how'd you like the taste o my dick?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:35:19 PM EDT
I saw her in concert around 1990. She apologised to the croud because the place got sprayed for misquitoes. The croud got mad, I clapped. This was in St. Louis in the summer. She is a super left commie nut but does have a great voice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
Yeah, some of the songs are good. Personally though, I DL'd all of what I wanted. She never saw a dime from me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:36:28 PM EDT

+1

+ Jealousy, Carnival...and the rest of Tiger Lilly
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
Ah yes natalie merchant. Shes in my group of singers that dont move their mouth much when they sing. It works pretty good for alot of them...like:

Nirvana
STP
Creed
Pearl Jam
Dave Mathews band

There are some more but cant think of them. If you bite down with your teeth shut and sing their songs you will sound like them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:45:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 7:48:10 PM EDT by sharky30]
no idea, next time I go home to my parents' and go out drinking with my friends that still live there I'll ask around and see the general consensus (I'm from Jamestown, were she and the rest of the 10,000 Maniacs are from)
I do have it on good authority though that one of the other band members made a fairly large amount of nitroglycerine in the chemistry lab of the local community college
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:14:52 AM EDT
I'd hit it :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:20:42 AM EDT
Although she is better looking, she looks too much like Jeanine Garafolio (or something like that).

I'm not a big fan of the 'poet' style female singers. Give me an Ann Wilson (the voice that is) any day over a whiny beatnick speech.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:24:22 AM EDT
She may be a musician but NOT a singer. Compare and contrast with someone like Amy Lee of current genre. Or with Karen Carpenter. Or even Leanne Rimes.

Personally, 10k Maniacs got better with Ramsey on lead vocals but the hype was gone. Merchant had her time in the sun but it wasn't on Tiger Lilly. IMHO, her best single was that "about the weather" one from the 1980's.

She is nowhere near good looking anymore. She should go muffin with her doppleganger and liberal loon friend, Jeanane Garofolo. Both are ipecac to my tastes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT

Please turn in your "man card" at the nearest hunting and sporting goods outlet. Your balls will be formally removed at the starbucks next door. That is all.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:30:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
She may be a musician but NOT a singer. Compare and contrast with someone like Amy Lee of current genre. Or with Karen Carpenter. Or even Leanne Rimes.

Personally, 10k Maniacs got better with Ramsey on lead vocals but the hype was gone. Merchant had her time in the sun but it wasn't on Tiger Lilly. IMHO, her best single was that "about the weather" one from the 1980's.

She is nowhere near good looking anymore. She should go muffin with her doppleganger and liberal loon friend, Jeanane Garofolo. Both are ipecac to my tastes.

IMO, Amy Lee isn't really that good. She just stands out in a genre with a bunch of singers that SUCK BIG TIME! IMO, the best of breed today is Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. IMO, the best ever is Ann Wilson, regardless of how heavy she got in her 30 year career.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:33:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

IMO, Amy Lee isn't really that good. She just stands out in a genre with a bunch of singers that SUCK BIG TIME! IMO, the best of breed today is Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. IMO, the best ever is Ann Wilson, regardless of how heavy she got in her 30 year career.

Hey, if you want to get picky, I could have thrown in Diane Krall. But I was trying to elicit a subtle comparison. You want to show her as a poseur based on Bob Dylan who used to work well with other musicians. I think we agree, her time in the sun is OVER. Good bye.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:37:41 AM EDT
I thought she was gay based on her lyrics on the album "Tigerlily". I might have been wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 9:47:31 AM EDT by FiveO]
"Trouble me" is one of my wife's favorie songs... It is really a beautiful, meaningful song.

There are parts of the Unplugged cd that give me chills.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:40:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Hey, if you want to get picky, I could have thrown in Diane Krall. But I was trying to elicit a subtle comparison. You want to show her as a poseur based on Bob Dylan who used to work well with other musicians. I think we agree, her time in the sun is OVER. Good bye.

I think if anything, her contribution is that she may have chiseled an opening for others who SING instead of yell. This is the primary reason I am not into lots of modern music. If her appearance on the scene forces the signing of another bands with legitimate singers that would have otherwise gone unnoticed, her appearance has been useful.

It's a shame that vocal talent is shunned within modern rock music. Currently country vocals are far superior.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:43:20 AM EDT

I fucked her.

Oh yeah? You and whose army?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:45:17 AM EDT

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.

Yep. No records of hers in collection. Even back when I was a liberal, I couldn't stand her. Yecch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:50:37 AM EDT

10 years ago. I haven't seen hide nor hair of her in the last decade. Last I heard, she lived in some old house in upstate NY that didn't have electricity. She washed her clothes in a nearby river/creek. Pretty odd chick.

She's always been like that, acc. to the drummer of a band I was in with in the late 1980s when I lived in Greenfield, MA. He was from upstate NY too, and was best friends since childhood with the bassist from 10, 000 Maniacs, and was going to join 10K Maniacs, too, at his friend's recommendation, but somebody else came along who would work for cheaper, so, this guy got screwed, as he saw it. Well, eventually, they all got screwed, as she dumped the band, but they didn't get screwed in the way ARFCOMMERS would like....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:52:56 AM EDT

that's my perfect woman!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:53:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 95thFoot:

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.

Yep. No records of hers in collection. Even back when I was a liberal, I couldn't stand her. Yecch.

I love the sound of her voice, but not the message. One of my best friends wife is good friends with NM and they(Her and the Band) used to stop over all the time.

(Note to 95th Foot, this would be the family that is pictured in Robert Griffing's painting "Leaving")

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:53:48 AM EDT

now i have to go to the truck and get the CD
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:09:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0:

Originally Posted By 95thFoot:

Hates Bush.

Hates guns.

Hates men.

I love the sound of her voice, but not the message. One of my best friends wife is good friends with NM and they(Her and the Band) used to stop over all the time.

(Note to 95th Foot, this would be the family that is pictured in Robert Griffing's painting "Leaving")

Wow- my musical and reenacting worlds, hitherto totally separate and ignorant of each other, colliding!

I know these people, too!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top