9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 8:10:13 PM EDT
Discuss.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:11:13 PM EDT
Get both!

Seriously, he is both.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:11:14 PM EDT
he won't be playing in 5 years.

I'll say it for the 3rd time tonight -- Vick = overrated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:15:33 PM EDT
Sports forum is here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
McNabb is the man

Syracuse alumni
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:24:04 PM EDT
Running quarterbacks don't last in the NFL.

College ball is 12 games a year. If you start for 4 years you play 48 games.

The NFL is 16 games + playoffs. You reach 48 games in 3 years without any playoff games.

It's too much of a beating.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:30:17 PM EDT
The Coons will eventually see the out-of-the-box wisdom of my futuristic two QB system that lines up a second "real" QB next to Vick. The offense operates out of the shotgun at all times of course and the defense never knows which QB will get the ball...the runner/passer or the pure passer. The pure passer needs to be a good blocker too. The only way to win consistently with Vick and keep him healthy. The only way!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:33:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chokey:

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:35:37 PM EDT
Best ATHLETE, yes. Best QB No. Think more Manning or Brady
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:38:35 PM EDT
He's overrated, and sicne he's black criticizing him would be considered racism. Same thing happened last year with McNabb.

My opinion with runnign quarterbacks is that since it a pretty new thing in the NFL it will take a few more years to find defensive schemes/changes to stop it. A faster linebacker group could run these guys down, when the 400 pound dudes right now stand no chance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:40:00 PM EDT
He isn't much of a QB by any means.

As others have said, he will do well to last more than 5 or 6 seasons if he continues to get hammered.

To be fair, I have never cared for running QB's, even though I prefer a run-based offense.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:51:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jerret:
He's overrated, and sicne he's black criticizing him would be considered racism. Same thing happened last year with McNabb.

My opinion with runnign quarterbacks is that since it a pretty new thing in the NFL it will take a few more years to find defensive schemes/changes to stop it. A faster linebacker group could run these guys down, when the 400 pound dudes right now stand no chance.

New thing? Dude, do a google search for the Bear's Bobby Douglass or Fran Tarkenton.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:54:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
The Coons will eventually see the out-of-the-box wisdom of my futuristic two QB system that lines up a second "real" QB next to Vick. The offense operates out of the shotgun at all times of course and the defense never knows which QB will get the ball...the runner/passer or the pure passer. The pure passer needs to be a good blocker too. The only way to win consistently with Vick and keep him healthy. The only way!

who are the coons?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:03:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dino:

who are the coons?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:20:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
Running quarterbacks don't last in the NFL.

College ball is 12 games a year. If you start for 4 years you play 48 games.

The NFL is 16 games + playoffs. You reach 48 games in 3 years without any playoff games.

It's too much of a beating.

I don’t know Fran Tarkenton did the Vic thing for 20 years… Of course he won no championships… and IMO is the most overrated quarterback ever to play football.

Vic might last but I think is overrated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:20:55 PM EDT
Ron Mexico Michael Vick is a good QB, but far from the future of QBs. The future of QBs was decided last season with Peyton Manning.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:58:36 AM EDT
How can anyone think vic is good? He reminds me of that dumb ass sprite comercial. "congratulations on your didn't win nothin victory" Uhh, Vick hasn't won shit, at least not against any team worth a damn. His longevity was already tarnished by his first major injury, and i'm sure there's more to come, and lets face it, he ain't the brightest crayon in the box. For every spectacular play he makes(all of which are by running since he can't throw worth a damn) he makes up for it with an equally bone headed mistake. Sure, he can be fun to watch, but he is NOWHERE near as talented as Peyton, Brady, a younger Favre or Marino, Montana, Elway, or Young before him. I don't think ANYONE can say that Peyton Manning isn't the best QB in the league. Hell, it ain't even close. With DB's getting faster and faster, it's just a matter of time before someone crushes Vick like the cockroach that he is. When the super bowl rolls around this year, rest assured that Vick will be sitting at home watching the game just like the rest of us.

Colts will win the superbowl this year, probably over the sorry ass eagles since the whole damn nfc sucks this year. My prediction anyways
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:12:08 AM EDT
Football is about money, so I don't think he is overrated in that sense. He is fun to watch, and that makes money for the team.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:38:45 AM EDT
I think Vick is a terrific athlete with a quarterback's arm. I don't think he's the future because I don't think there will be enough exceptional athletes like him who remain quarterbacks all the way through college. They will become WR's, RB's or beef up and become TE's.

However, any quarterback who can run sub 4.5 can cause havoc with a defensive scheme if, IF, he can stay healthy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:49:51 AM EDT
He is a good athlete. But most great QBs don't run too much. Think Joe Montana, Troy Aikman etc.....

Max
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:09:17 AM EDT
It will not become standard because there's not enough systems in college out there that use QB's in that fashion to supply people experienced in such a system to the NFL. You've got Kansas State who runs such a system that favors running QB's and a few other schools who regularly utilize such an attack (such as Beamer at Virginia Tech. That's about it. Otherwise, it seems pocket passers rule.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:49:29 AM EDT
He is a running back that is hiding under the protected class of quarterback so he gets bullshit personal foul calls. I saw him get shoved out of bounds 1 yard from the first down, refs called a personal foul because he was one foot out of bounds when it happened. If he was a running back, that call wouldn't have happened, since if you dont push the guy out of bounds he gets the first after cutting back in if you hold back to see if he goes out of bounds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:00:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dino:

who are the coons?

Fal-COONS!
Term of endearment, seriously.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:02:04 AM EDT
I would say he is an anomaly but he has a brother as well. In two years there are going to be two anomalies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:27:11 PM EDT
Vick is exciting to watch, but he certainly is not the greatest qb around.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:36:17 PM EDT
He puts butts in seats. Something Altanta needs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:39:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chokey:

yep! OVERRATED
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:39:39 PM EDT
Hey, you guys talkin' about Ron Mexico?

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:42:25 PM EDT
Who cares?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:57:09 PM EDT
Vick is not a good QB. He's a great runner but definitely not a great passer, a la Montana, Young, Moon, etc.

Look at last year. He barely used his wide receivers; I'm convinced he doesn't go through his check-downs or progressions. He throws far more to Crumpler (his TE), Dunn/Duckett (RBs) as opposed to his WRs (Finneran, Jenkins, Price [who is now with Dallas]), who should be his first options in his progression. If he can't throw to his TE or a RB, his next choice usually is to run it himself.

Young QBs entering the NFL exhibit the same behavior, until they learn to use all their WRs. Look at McNabb when he came into the league. He made Chad Lewis (TE) and Duce Staley (RB) into Pro Bowlers because he'd dump off the passes to them and barely use his WRs. Now McNabb is more mature and uses his WRs (although he's not very accurate). Vick still has not learned to use his WRs.

This has nothing to do with the Eagles' loss last night, by the way. I had Crumpler on my fantasy football team last year and because of Vick's tunnel vision, Crumpler ran away with a Pro Bowl year and netted me $350.
Top Top