Posted: 8/16/2007 12:50:16 AM EDT
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Are we still one nation under God?

Doubtful.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
God took the land of Canaan away from the inhabitants there and gave the land to the Israelites. His reason for taking that land from the Canaanites, Hitites, Amroties, etc was that they were causing their children to "pass through the fire." This is a euphamism for baking their children while they were still alive.

In the last 34 years, we as a nation have sanctioned the murder of over 46 million babies in the womb.

There is no way that GOD will turn a blind eye to that forever. We have had ample opportunities to repent and sent things right. We have chosen instead to become even more depraved, reprobate, debased, etc.

I think that perhaps GOD has already taken the land away from us and given it to the Mexicans. Say what you will about the illegal Mexicans coming here, but there is no denying that they are pro family. And so is GOD!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Who's God?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
God believes in free will.  I think he does favor democracy, justice and equality however he lets us make our own decisions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who's God?

There's your answer folks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
God loves Utah.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
God is fiction.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who's God?

I think he's a member here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
God is fiction.

I was wondering about Finland's astronomical suicide and alcoholism rate too...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
No,he's rooting for the Arabs Persians  Russians Indians Africans Japanese Filipinos Britons Koreans maybe?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
God is fiction.

Hence, Finland's astronomical suicide and alcoholism rate.

Yet, SAKO produces some fine rifles, so maybe He has a small soft spot for the Finnns.

82.4 % of Finns are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.

And I doubt suicide and alcoholism rates have much to do with religion. I think it is so common here because our culture tends to make men very silent and introverted. We don't talk and don't vent out our issues. Add that to the long periods of winter-darkness and you get a high suicide rates.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
God is fiction.

Hence, Finland's astronomical suicide and alcoholism rate.

Yet, SAKO produces some fine rifles, so maybe He has a small soft spot for the Finnns.

I doubt suicide...rates have much to do with religion.

Really? Where is that suicide bomber dancing banana?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
God took the land of Canaan away from the inhabitants there and gave the land to the Israelites. His reason for taking that land from the Canaanites, Hitites, Amroties, etc was that they were causing their children to "pass through the fire." This is a euphamism for baking their children while they were still alive.

The ironic thing is that Jews are permitted to do just that according to the Talmud. You're allowed to burn your child to death, or you can kill your child in some other fashion as a sacrifice to Molech (Ba'al) but you can't do both at the same time.

"He who gives of his seed to Molech is not guilty, unless he has both given over his child to Molech, and also caused it to pass through the fire. If he has given it over to Molech, and has not caused it to pass through the fire, or if he has caused it to pass through the fire, but has not given it over to Molech, he is not guilty."
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course, (At least I hope)

Sure we have our problems, no man is with out sin.

But we are better than the alternatives.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah cuz God is so going to root for a country.

Dont you think if he wanted that country to win, he would wipe out all the others?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
God believes in free will.  I think he does favor democracy, justice and equality however he lets us make our own decisions.

The Vatican would disagree.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Vatican would disagree.

The Vatican believes in gun control also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Hard to say but I'm sure he's disappointed with what we have done with the blessings he gave our forefathers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The gods of Conspicous Consumption, Industrial Farming, Endless Suburbs, Petroleum Products, Importing Cheap Plastic Crap from China, Junk Food and Lawn Chemicals are certainly rooting for us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Some say God is on the side of the biggest batallions.
Voltaire declared that God is not on the side of the biggest batallions but of the best shots.
Here's hoping that we always have God on our side in that sense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#21]
In Australia "rooting" means sex....
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

In the last 34 years, we as a nation have sanctioned the murder of over 46 million babies in the womb.

There is no way that GOD will turn a blind eye to that forever. We have had ample opportunities to repent and sent things right. We have chosen instead to become even more depraved, reprobate, debased, etc.

I think that perhaps GOD has already taken the land away from us and given it to the Mexicans. Say what you will about the illegal Mexicans coming here, but there is no denying that they are pro family. And so is GOD!

Very well put.

As a Christian I try to strike a balance between the Constitutionalist side of me (do what you will inside your house, just don't bother me with it) and the Believer side (if we do too much to offend God, we risk our nation's blessing).

Makes it a tough call at times. While I utterly believe in freedom... I don't think that condoning things that are considered sins in the bible is going to get us very far...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who's God?

NO, Who's on first!
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yeah cuz God is so going to root for a country.

Dont you think if he wanted that country to win, he would wipe out all the others?

That wouldn't make sense. On second hand, it would fit into the whole scheme of things. Not making any sense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#25]
God has blessed the U.S. in the past.

There is no mention of the U.S. in the apocalyptic endtimes, so one can conclude that we will not play a big part in "the final conflict".

Somewhere between the past and the future we fall out of God's grace. We may fail as a nation or become diminished in our influence by many degrees.

I don't think God is rooting for American society as it exists today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The gods of Conspicous Consumption, Industrial Farming, Endless Suburbs, Petroleum Products, Importing Cheap Plastic Crap from China, Junk Food and Lawn Chemicals are certainly rooting for us.
excellent
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

While most of that is unfortunate (lawn chemicals do not bother me), some of it was inevitable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
... I'm sure he's disappointed with what we have done with the blessings he gave our forefathers.

Syphilis, malaria, lice, scurvy, rotten teeth, and Indian attacks?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I read this book once regarding the existence of God.

The general theme was that God (if there is such a thing) has no specific 'knowledge'
of the United States, the Earth and especially mankind.

The (fictional) book said that wasn't how it works. God is an entity so far removed from
what you know and understand, and his job was basically limited to creation.

How 'his' creations fare is not part of Gods interest ........ he is really not even aware of us.

Like I said, it was fiction. I am not educated in any religion, but I think what
the book suggests would be violently denied by any Christian .

I found some of the ideas thought provoking, though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I'm sure he's disappointed with what we have done with the blessings he gave our forefathers.

I can see you're a glass is half empty kind of guy. Study the Revolutionary War, some of the stories dealing with insurmountable odds bested are more in line with what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Considering the character of a large number of members here, the OP might do well to specify which god he is referring to.

Assuming that he is referring to the god of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, then I believe the appropriate question would've been "Is the United States rooting for God?"
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know about the rest of you but Zeus is rooting for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm rooting for myself and that is all I care about.

Objectivism FTW.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:09:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see you're a glass is half empty kind of guy. Study the Revolutionary War, some of the stories dealing with insurmountable odds bested are more in line with what I was thinking of.

Sorry, of course I should have added "desperate wars" to my list of blessings.

BTW, didn't our enemies in the revolution worship the same god?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#35]
No.  God is not on our side.  A better question would be whether we're on His side, and the self-evident answer to that is no.  Our official religion is a sort of idolatry of the state, rejoicing in our victories and our "principles," by which is meant the expansion of the power of our institutions.  Though I am a Christian, it doesn't matter whether you're Muslim, Jewish, or Zoroastrian:  America's "god" is not yours.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Acknowledging and actually worshiping are not the same thing Rodent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#37]
God doesn't care.  He is utterly indifferent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, old school Yahweh is probably rooting for Israel.  New school JC might be on board with the US.  Old Allah is definitely rooting for the Middle East.  Then Vishnu and pals have a keen eye for India.  I think Zeus is still looking after Rome despite the old Catholic guy with the funny hat.  Wouldn't mess with the guy from Finland, the Norse gods of Scandinavia can open up a can of whip-ass too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I doubt it...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Acknowledging and actually worshiping are not the same thing Rodent.

Just so I'm clear, colonial Americans "worshipped" a god, while the British and Germans only "acknowledged" the same god, and that's why the colonials won?

Do you suppose Britain's political turmoil, other wars and supply-line-spanning-an-ocean had anything to do with it? Maybe the colonials had a huge advantage in that they only needed to resist to win, while the Brits would have had to conquer and hold?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just so I'm clear, colonial Americans "worshipped" a god, while the British and Germans only "acknowledged" the same god, and that's why the colonials won?

Do you suppose Britain's political turmoil, other wars and supply-line-spanning-an-ocean had anything to do with it? Maybe the colonials had a huge advantage in that they only needed to resist to win, while the Brits would have had to conquer and hold?

Yes I believe that purity of worship when it came to many of the leaders of the Revolution is one of the major reasons America won its independence. The contrasts with religion in England can be seen when you look to the second reformation, the Puritan Movement, and the Wesleyan Movement for example. Obviously deep religious conviction is not the only reason for our victory but a study of the war will show that time and time again the colonialists benefited from a confluence of events beyond the norm. Life has taught me there is little in the way of coincidence beyond the trivial so I am fine with ascribing that to the intervention of a loving God. Perhaps you believe in compounded luck as a rule?

Now you clarify your position. Is it your contention that America is not a blessed land? What religion do you practice?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#42]
"God is on our side because he hates the yanks too!"

- Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who's God?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#44]
“Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.” (2 Nephi 1:6–7.)

Excerpt taken from The Book of Mormon - addressing the state of the inhabitants of this land.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
...Now you clarify your position. Is it your contention that America is not a blessed land?

Not any more than many other places I've been. Not by any specific god.

What religion do you practice?

I'm a Dogist.

If I can't eat it or hump it, I piss on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:47:17 AM EDT
[#46]
"...it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official act my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that His benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the people of the United States a Government  instituted by themselves for these essential purposes, and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to  execute with success the functions allotted to his charge. In tendering this homage to the Great Author of every public and private good, I assure myself that it expresses your sentiments not less than my own...

No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than those of the United States.

Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency;

...the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained;"
~ George Washington,
First Inaugural Address, 1789.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#48]
It's not a football game.
God is not placing bets, or taking sides.

God does not interfere with what we do.

He will sit back, and watch us fuck ourselves up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
God does not "root" for  nations.  He can, and does, bless nations where He is honored by His people.

That isn't happeneing as much in our country in these later years.

Nations cannot be "Godly".  Only people can.  

God will bless people that honor Jesus as Lord.

2 Chronicles 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

And add to that:

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord"
~ Psalm 33:12
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Now you clarify your position. Is it your contention that America is not a blessed land?

Really? Been to many third world countries? I have, maybe you can fill me in on the blessings I missed while I was there.

Quoted:

What religion do you practice?

I'm a Dogist.

If I can't eat it or hump it, I piss on it.

A self-evident truth if ever there was one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top