Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/23/2007 4:18:06 AM EST
I just started to work out again, I am using 2 different sets of Russian Kettlebells, 13 and 35 LBS. Is Creatine really worth getting to help with recovery? Is it a natural substance or man made? I do not want to take anything man made, so that should limit my choices shouldn't it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:01:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2007 8:03:45 AM EST by AGW]
Your body makes creatine on its own, and can handle any suppliment you feed it. My question is why would anyone want to take something that you couldn't get from food or that your body didn't already produce in measured quantities?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:03:26 AM EST
That is what I thought, thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:36:55 AM EST
It does nothing for me. I have tried it several times, and noticed no positive effects. However, I do know guys who have used it and had good results. Give it a go and see how it works for you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:50:45 AM EST
I have used it with surprising results in the past. I will not use it again. It seemed to bother my stomach after a while. It gives me a bit of a headache or nausea, too. The strength gains and recovery times were neat, but some people don't really see them. If I were to use a supplement at this point it would be glutamine, but I don't feel the need with my present goals and PT program.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:58:43 AM EST
I get nautious when I take it now. I think it's because I don't drink enough water. It seems to work pretty good tho.

I like protein and a few other meal replacement deals.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 5:09:54 PM EST
Don't take it unless you know you will be able to drink plenty of water! If you are in police academy or something where water is limited, don't use it. I got off it all summer because I was doing roofing and other hot outdoor work, but I just started another course of it last week. In that week I've gain 1/4" on my bi's
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 5:20:15 PM EST
depends on the brand/molecular makeup of the creatine as well. I've used CEE (Creatine Ethyl Ester) to good effect.

It helps my recovery time while lifting hard. It won't give you a buzz or make you work harder, but it'll make you retain water.

All Creatine products are man made, so no chance getting anything natural. The only way to increase the level of creatine in your system is to eat massive amounts of red meat, the rarer the better. Your body makes it, and it's in anything classifed as "red meat".

I plan on getting back on it soon, as I see good strength gains and my recovery time is cut in half. You just have to double your water intake when you use it, otherwise you're done for.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 11:25:10 PM EST
In a word - Yes!

Some don't respond well to it, or respond at all. Thats how it is with all supps. YMMV.

I've been happy with Universal "Storm"and BSN "Cell-Mass".
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:37:35 AM EST
I avoid it.

Once you stop taking it.. you lose the results.

I'd rather stick with protein shakes...
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:55:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
I avoid it.

think at least three steps forward one step back. You'll maintain most of your gains if not all. I've never even noticed the above problem. But again, some people believe it happens.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 11:56:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By FivespeedF150:

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
I avoid it.

think at least three steps forward one step back. You'll maintain most of your gains if not all. I've never even noticed the above problem. But again, some people believe it happens.

Hrm.

Well.. I work at a fitness gym.. and many people have told me the above.

Depends on the person I guess.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:17:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By AGW:
Your body makes creatine on its own, and can handle any suppliment you feed it. My question is why would anyone want to take something that you couldn't get from food or that your body didn't already produce in measured quantities?

Amen and goodnight!

Originally Posted By Tested:

I like protein and a few other meal replacement deals.

Me too. I realize as a female, my goals are different than you men wanting to bulk up, but I have a real hard time with "supplements" designed to maximize your workout when YOU can maximixe it with eating properly. I only use the protein because, typically, women do not get enough protein: we're programmed for carbs, not meat.
I am typical in my gender with that generality.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:46:52 PM EST
If you're lifting heavy things and trying to get bigger? Yes.

Creatine is a MINERAL. You can get small quantities of it from food. When you stop taking it, it goes away. HOWEVER it will have helped your muscles cells expand, which is a more permanent situation.

Worried about it's long term effects? Cycle it. 3 months on, 3+ months off. Yes, you will drag ass for a couple of weeks when you come off of it.

I have no shortage of muscle mass, so I'm not currently on it. The last time I took a cycle of it, I put on almost 20lbs of muscle, and had more strength and muscular endurance. Unfortunately, my knees can't tell the difference between muscle and fat. When I get to a more reasonable weight, I'll start back up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:30:35 AM EST
Only difference for me is that I do not have muscle soreness day after a hard work out. Muscle fatigue yes, not soreness. So I could really do the same excerise the next day. I may not be able to do as much...

Without creatine, my muscle is sore from the breakdown and hard to move. I am sure anyone that has lifted weights know this feeling.

Wether or not it promotes muscle growth. Not in my case.

I also use NOX. This really helps me in my martial arts training. I find myself being able to push more cardio wise.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:47:46 PM EST
I use to take Universal Creatine and N.O. Explode. They both gave me the extra "jolt" that got me through my workouts. It didn't leave my muslces tired or shaking when I was doing my sets.

It's been over a year since I've last taken them, but I'll probably pick up some N.O. Explode again when I can get back to a routine gym schedule.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:50:53 AM EST
Personally, I'm a good reactor to it. Do research before using it. I did.

I found there have been 2 deaths attributed to Creatine. Both college wrestlers trying to cut weight fast before a meet. Both deaths were because they lost a lot of water and creatin pushes water into the muscles.

Make sure you drink lots of water. Creatin is made by your body... all you have to do is eat lost of red meat. LOTS and LOTS of red meat.

Another problem with Creatine is many college athletes are getting injured. Creatine for me makes recovery faster and I feel less stress of lactic acid build up. With that, I've been able to lift more. If I were to push myself to feel the same strains that I was reaching when I was not taking creatin, then I'd push myself too much... Over training is the problem here.

All that and I still use creatin. I'm a good responder to it. I'm 5'8" & 208# (which doesn't matter because creatin is adding water weight) I'm benching 295# and I'm dumbell pressing 120# in each hand.

For me, yes, creatine is a good choice. Do research.

Hardwarz
Top Top