Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:50:39 AM EDT
John Wayne did most of his movies before I was born but to a large extent my generation revered him as an archetype hero and measured all other great characters against that example.

So is the same thing happening now with Chuck? His movies were sorta cheesy but when compared to a lot of what is out there now, they aren't too bad.

By the way yesterday was Chucks birthday. Hope you sent him a present.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
i dont think chuck can hold a candle to the duke
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
No, it would be have to be Jet Lee.
What, got problems with Asian John Wayne?

ETA. Everybody like Jet Lee just like everybody John Wayne but ragheads don't like Chuck.  John and Jet are hero to everybody.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
No way.  Chuck is cool in a "Real Ultimate Power" spoof sort of way.

I'd be more inclined to look towards the Harrison Ford type characters for what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Not even close.

But I do believe this Chuck worship is showing many here have homosexual tendencies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Being an internet fad is nothing.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Not really.  Chuck actually served in the US Armed Forces instead of just playing the part.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#7]
uhhhh  no.

John Wayne is this generation's John Wayne.

Chuck Norris is the grammatical equivalent of "Pie" or "get both" or "stick it in her pooper and post pics" and means something only to a select group of young folks on this site.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Not even close!

Keifer Sutherland became this generation's John Wayne by signing on for '24'!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Angelina Jolie is this generation's "John Wayne".

No male actor from this generation is man enough to fill those shoes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Being an internet fad is nothing.

EXACTLY

If anything, it's worse than being an icon. The reason he was chosen to be referenced ad nauseum as being the ulitimate in cool is because of how washed up and forgotten he was. Take something lame or cheesy and pretend it's cool - not something I'd want to go down in history for.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Not for me
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#12]
John Wayne Lives.  Chuck is dead already.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#13]
To compare Chuck Norris to John Wayne is very unfair to Mr Norris.  John Wayne is a national icon, Chuck Norris has become more of a joke.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'd be more inclined to look towards the Harrison Ford type characters for what you're talking about.

Or Client Eastwood.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1 John Wayne would run 'em outta town-

So to answer your question HELL NO!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
No way in hell.

And as much as I like 24, isn't Kiefer a big liberal pansy?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Client Eastwood.

Yeah, beat me to it. If anyone, Clint Eastwood is this generation's John Wayne. Chuck Norris was only (for the most part) in second-tier action flicks and a TV show that nobody took seriously. Clint Eastwood, however - like John Wayne - has been in numerous films that have gone down in history as some of the greats.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
The thing about John Wayne is that he died when he was still cool.  He was still more or less on top.  He NEVER became washed up, or was ever even considered a has been.  I dont think he would tolerate this internet celebrity bullshit, and would probably be pretty pissed about it.

Even the most bad assed of bad asses who are alive today are getting old, and eventually will lose their bad ass status.

Look at Clint Eastwood.  He used to be as badassed as they come, now he's making tearjerkers and chick flicks, and he looks OLD
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#19]
uh...... NO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
To compare Chuck Norris to John Wayne is very unfair to Mr Norris.  John Wayne is a national icon, Chuck Norris has become more of a joke.

Same here.

John Wayne is cooler.  He isn't the butt of a joke by becoming a mass e-mail fad.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The thing about John Wayne is that he died when he was still cool.  He was still more or less on top.  He NEVER became washed up, or was ever even considered a has been.  I dont think he would tolerate this internet celebrity bullshit, and would probably be pretty pissed about it.

Even the most bad assed of bad asses who are alive today are getting old, and eventually will lose their bad ass status.

Look at Clint Eastwood.  He used to be as badassed as they come, now he's making tearjerkers and chick flicks, and he looks OLD

Clint is amlost five years older than the Duke was at his death. Clint is still in great shape for a man who is over 75.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#23]
NO.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Chuck no!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#25]
The Duke could kick chucks ass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Clearly you are irresponsible to even suggest something like this.

Your Shrike should be taken from you immediately for the good of the community.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chuck Norris ACTUALLY served his country, one of his brothers died in Vietnam…

John Wayne avoided service (unlike most of his fellow actors in Hollywood) and played at being a Serviceman…

QED: Chuck Norris kicks Marrion Morrison's ass…

#1  Chuck was in the Air Force. Hardly the military.

#2  John Wayne tried to join but was medically disqualified.   His patriotism was reflected in his movies, although he would have traded it all to serve.

John Wayne would knock the shit out of Norris. Then shoot him from horseback at a full gallop.
I was joking about the Air Force/not military thing.

Bullshit.  That's what they always say.  Marion decided his movie career would take off with all the others gone.

At the time of Pearl Harbor, Wayne was 34 years old. His marriage was on the rocks but he still had four kids to support. His career was taking off, in large part on the strength of his work in the classic western Stagecoach (1939). But he wasn't rich. Should he chuck it all and enlist? Many of Hollywood's big names, such as Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable, did just that. (Fonda, Wills points out, was 37 at the time and had a wife and three kids.) But these were established stars. Wayne knew that if he took a few years off for military service, there was a good chance that by the time he got back he'd be over the hill.

Besides, he specialized in the kind of movies a nation at war wanted to see, in which a rugged American hero overcame great odds. Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors. Perhaps rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." He told friends he'd enlist after he made just one or two more movies.

The real question is why he never did so. Wayne cranked out thirteen movies during the war, many with war-related themes. Most of the films were enormously successful and within a short time the Duke was one of America's most popular stars. His bankability now firmly established, he could have joined the military, secure in the knowledge that Hollywood would welcome him back later. He even made a half-hearted effort to sign up, sending in the paperwork to enlist in the naval photography unit commanded by a good friend, director John Ford.

But he didn't follow through.
Nobody really knows why; Wayne didn't like to talk about it. A guy who prided himself on doing his own stunts, he doesn't seem to have lacked physical courage. One suspects he just found it was a lot more fun being a Hollywood hero than the real kind. Many movie star-soldiers had enlisted in the first flush of patriotism after Pearl Harbor. As the war ground on, slogging it out in the trenches seemed a lot less exciting. The movies, on the other hand, had put Wayne well on the way to becoming a legend. "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," Wills writes. In late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour. An intelligence bigshot asked him to give his impression of Douglas MacArthur. He was fawned over by the press when he got back. Meanwhile, he was having a torrid affair with a beautiful Mexican woman. How could military service compare with that?

www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_004.html

I actually like his movies and watch them when I can.  However, what I and andy said is correct.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#30]
For the first time today I watched a part of Walker: Texas Ranger.

That is, quite possibly, the worst action show I have ever seen. The acting is horrible. Texas should issue a warrant for his arrest for bad acting. That show is a joke. How it ever lasted as long at it did on CBS, goes to show how bad TV really was in the 90's.

At least Wayne could act.

Norris is not fit to hold the Duke's gunbelt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#31]
What we also have here is a bit of generational differences.
John Wayne started acting when every kid went to movies on Saturday for a dime, no tv.
Joh Wayne was bigger then life, and since he stood 6'4" he was taller then most of the male population.
John Wayne also had the rumor mills of Hollywood grinding out stories about how "manly" he was with hard drinking and fighting with extras for fun.
He was our fathers Icon for being a man ment something. You did the right thing, you talked straight, and treated everyone with rescpt.

Chuck Norris came into the spot light because he was a martial arts expert who learned how to market himself.
While he looks like much of the population of males he is seen a being almost superhuman. While the Dukes fans had to wait for the next movie, Chuck fans just waited tell next week. Less time for the imagation to work and make him larger then life.
The Duke was not P.C.
While Chuck is not total P.C. he does have to live with the hollywood crowd. He has strong family values and ideas that have hurt his standings with that hollywood crowd.
And in our time where "conflict resolutition" means compromising your values, Chuck does'nt stand a chance.

In my order by age
John Wayne always  THE DUKE no compromise
Sean Connery I use a gadget to win
Chuck Norris I'll compromise, just untill I can roundhouse kick you into next week.

No bash on Chuck I met him once in Indy at a martial arts expo, nice guy.

But the DUKE is forever, I just wish I could be like him  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The only thing chuck the fuck has over The Duke is the fact that he is still breathing.

Otherwise chucky would be kissing The Dukes ass (and???) for work.

Now if you phrase the question as, " Is chuck norriss the generations John Wayne, wannabe?".

Then I might have to say yes, at least to the wannabe part......

I have never like chucky and cannot foresee that ever changing!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Chuck.

Shark.

Parabolic Arc.

nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Client Eastwood.

Yeah, beat me to it. If anyone, Clint Eastwood is this generation's John Wayne. Chuck Norris was only (for the most part) in second-tier action flicks and a TV show that nobody took seriously. Clint Eastwood, however - like John Wayne - has been in numerous films that have gone down in history as some of the greats.

Sorry, but Clint would be a close second to Tom Selleck.  Some of Tom's TV movies such as Monty Walsh stack up there with the likes of Josey Wales.  

Also, John Wayne was very Conservative.  To my understanding, Clint Eastwood actually is moderate or slightly left.  Tom Selleck, however, is also very Conservative.  John Wayne stood up and supported America and the troops during Vietnam.  Selleck also is a strong supporter of American values and supports the troops.  I have yet to hear Eastwood do much of that.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#36]
No.  John Wayne is in a different, and higher league, than Chuck.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#37]

JohnWayne------>    <----------Chuck Norris

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nope, probably shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top