Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 8:18:46 PM EDT
We have a pickup tomorrow there and want to get a close hotel, but would like to avoid crime-ridden areas. I have no clue about chicago, please help!

UPDATE:   After getting lost about a dozen times we have managed to end up on 55 south off 294.  We are going to drive until we find a decent place.  Thought we found one until we saw a restaurant called Chicken Basket.  We continue on....at least it stopped raining.  i appreciate everyones input but verizon broadband is pretty slow and we were driving ahead of the advice.  must retreat to the more gun friendly Ohio ASAP
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't stay close........

Stay on the Indiana side if you are going in that way.  Exit hwy 30 and go east from I 65.  There are several hotels in the area.  Don't try to go into chi heights.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to haul cars for a living and usually liked to get to my destination before sleeping but I always waited till daylight in Chicago heights
I live north of there and would avoid being too close if you could
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the area, so my opinion does not count. But, in my experience, anything with "Heights" in it's name has been a sh!!thole.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd pass on Chicago Heights.

What direction are you coming from?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know the area, so my opinion does not count. But, in my experience, anything with "Heights" in it's name has been a sh!!thole.

That is exactly why i asked

anyone know if it gets better heading south on I-94?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
i'mheaded south on i-94 out of downtown chicago
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What is you destination, and where do you need to go from there?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Destination is a pickup in chicago heights tomorow AM.  I want to stay somewhere where my ride won't be on blocks, my wallet in someone elses hand, or my ass in a rubber sack.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
From downtown, I would take 290 west or 55 west/south.  On 290 there is a Holiday Inn in Hillside at ~ Wolf Road.

On 55, get of at La Grange Road/45 north, drive a half mile north to Joliet Road, turn left and there is a Holiday Inn.

If you drive 94 south from the city, you will get to places you do not want to stay.

290 and 55 hook up to 294 which is the city bypass, and they will get you back to 94.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Destination is a pickup in chicago heights tomorow AM.  I want to stay somewhere where my ride won't be on blocks, my wallet in someone elses hand, or my ass in a rubber sack.

Chicago Heights is a far south suburb.  It is not downtown Chicago.

From Chicago Heights, drive straight west on Route 30 to the town of Frankfort and you will be OK.

You can also go south on Route 1 and go to Beecher.  Visit the Beecher Tool & Die Co. and the Beecher Meat Co.  Sorry, that's a local joke.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Onstar has a comfort inn in morris, west of frankfurt. any good?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Morris is good.

The change to the thread title has me confused.  You are not going to Chicago?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been there about ten times.  I must say that I do not like that city AT ALL.  New York City is way better.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, i started the thread downtown after picking up a press.  Next stop in the morning is heights.  i want to stay somewhere normal (which i have now found)  I am on a laptop riding shotgun using verizon.  sorry for the confusion, i was trying to do a million things at once.  and thanx again to all for the help, i am now dragging my ass to bed.  can't wait to see the heights in person during daylight
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We have a pickup tomorrow there and want to get a close hotel, but would like to avoid crime-ridden areas. I have no clue about chicago, please help!

UPDATE:   After getting lost about a dozen times we have managed to end up on 55 south off 294.  We are going to drive until we find a decent place.  Thought we found one until we saw a restaurant called Chicken Basket.  We continue on....at least it stopped raining.  i appreciate everyones input but verizon broadband is pretty slow and we were driving ahead of the advice.  must retreat to the more gun friendly Ohio ASAP

Del Ray's Chicken Basket is great and the neighborhood is good too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone told me that Flossmore is nice (I think he bought a house there near the train station)--any truth to that??

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Someone told me that Flossmore is nice (I think he bought a house there near the train station)--any truth to that??

GunLvr

They lied.

I-55 and Rte 83 or LaGrange Rd are also good choices. Hotels, food, etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

They lied.

I-55 and Rte 83 or LaGrange Rd are also good choices. Hotels, food, etc.

I was wondering...I drove I-80 from the Indiana Tollroad to I-294 a few weeks ago and the area looks worse than a warzone.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top