BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 10:11:16 AM EDT
From AP:Foxnews Reporting.

AP  
President George W. Bush  
Tuesday, June 25, 2002

WASHINGTON — Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat is responding cautiously to President Bush's proposal for a provisional Palestinian state ruled by a "new and different Palestinian leadership."

Arafat said that only the Palestinian people can decide whom their leaders should be, but added that the speech represented "a serious effort to push the peace process forward."

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's office said it found many favorable elements in the president's speech, adding that "genuine reforms and a new leadership" could clear the way to a diplomatic settlement.

On Monday, Bush told the Palestinian people that the United States could help them achieve the goal of statehood in three years if they elect "leaders not compromised by terror."

"It is untenable for Israeli citizens to live in terror. It is untenable for Palestinians to live in squalor and occupation. And the current situation offers no prospect that life will improve," Bush said in a Rose Garden speech, surrounded by National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

"Peace requires a new and different Palestinian leadership so that a Palestinian state can be born," Bush said.

In his long-anticipated speech, Bush said "reform must be more than cosmetic changes or a veiled attempt to preserve the status quo" if the Palestinians are to fulfill their aspirations for a state alongside Israel.
View Quote

Full Story:[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,56100,00.html[/url]

Also: THE WORDING MAY BE OFF, I AM GOING FROM MEMORY.. This is from Local AM radio this morning:

R-Inhoff,Oklahoma said this morning that he thinks this is president Bush's last attempt at making peace. He says if this is rejected then the Palestinians are on their own and that Bush will not likely intervene in Israelies attempts to take care of the problem any longer.
View Quote

I later heard something about Palestine may have already said no to Bush's proposal.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Is Bush making his last offer???
View Quote

I hope so.

Shok
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[b]I later heard something about Palestine may have already said no to Bush's proposal[/b]
Thats a fact!
View Quote

That's a shame.  I just might be able to someday raise my children in a world without militant palestinians.  [>(]

keving67
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Also from the story:

The Palestinian leadership and President Arafat hope that the details will be discussed during the direct and bilateral meetings with the American administration" and international mediators, the statement said.

Israeli Communications Minister Reuven Rivlin said Israel was pleased with the speech but rejected the concept of a provisional Palestinian state. He said Bush expressed a "vision of bringing the Palestinian people to democracy and reform, and then to negotiate."

Rivlin, a close ally of Sharon, said that according to the Bush formula, the first steps are up to the Palestinians to reform their administration and "get rid of all those terrorists who live there."

Though the Palestinians insisted the choice of leadership is their own to make and not up to the United States, Palestinian officials took heart in Bush's saying that ending Israeli occupation is the only way to achieve peace.

"It is the first time that an American administration recognized that the only solution for this conflict is to end the occupation and to have a state to live in peace beside Israel – this is a historic change in the American stance," said Palestinian Cabinet Secretary Ahmed Abdel Rahman.

In his speech, Bush demanded Israel withdraw to positions it held on the West Bank two years ago and to stop building homes for Jews on the West Bank and in Gaza. Ultimately, he said, Israel should agree to pull all the way back to the lines it held before the 1967 Mideast war.

Erekat said the situation today is at its lowest point. "What we need is a real specified road map that will define the endgame of the peace process, that is ending the Israeli occupation," he said.
View Quote

I think this part of the text is interesting, with Bush's speech and the Palistinians statements, that I know of thus far... It appears that Bush finally has them completely outmanuevered and here are my reasons why.

1: If palestine does not accept this proposal and they continue to attack Israel will be able to wipe them off the face of the planet.
2: If Palestine does accept this proposal, they will have to continue to walk the same path or be destroyed by Israel.
  a)When the US's war in the middle east starts this proposal will tie the hands of the palestinians from reacting in a violent manner towards Israel or face destruction by Israel.

There are many terrorist organizations working in the territories that Palestinians occupy, Some from Syria and Lebanon, and perhaps some others... So no matter what happens there will not be peace.... Chances are the Palestinians are now toast..

Ben
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
this would imply that he's made an effort. and he really hasn't, stated explicitly as a 'hands-off' policy shortly after he took office.

he might as well just say "i concur fully with isreal" and get on to dealing with matters where he will have some effectiveness. we're paying this guy's salary - i want output, dammit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, this is his last offer.

He has put a proposal that the Arabs psychologicly cannot accept.

But, for other opinions go here:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127306[/url]

Its now time to move on and deal with Iraq.

Also do not be too surpised if sometime in the next few weeks to couple months, Colin Powell suddenly decides he needs to "spend more time with his family"...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its now time to move on and deal with Iraq.

View Quote

Because of the U.S. policy of Israel First, we have no allies for the invasion of Iraq.

Not one Muslim or European country will back the U.S. nor will any Asian or Central Asian country.

Israel has no friends and exactly one ally.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top