BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Did OP buy from their factory sale?
Those are seconds and over runs

They used to have some really good bargains on seconds (damaged, not flat bottoms, scratches).  They they became too popular.   And their factory sale in Washington Pa became a madhouse.  

Their non stick Teflon coating is meh.   But the pans themselves do conduct the heat great.   Pots  are excellent
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine are great.  I’ll still be using them when I die.

And they’re stupid easy to clean because I know what I’m doing.  If your food is sticking you’re doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My All-Clad D5 stuff has been great going on 4 or 5 years. Zero complaints.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one of their copper core pans to try out last year. They are expensive, but I noticed a dramatic difference. Food cooked better and more evenly. It can be a bitch to clean sometimes, but it's held up well so far, but at that price I'd expect it to.
View Quote

I bought the Mrs a full 18 (I think) piece Copper Core set a couple years ago. We absolutely love them. I never thought that the pots and pans made THAT big of a difference, until I bought this set.

All-clad is top notch. For home use, it is 100% just a 'nice to have.' I wouldn't go into debt to buy a set, but if you have the change and enjoy cooking, it's definitely worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
They should address it under warranty. I have a 12" skillet and a couple of saucepans and they are GTG and perfectly level. I also have some Chinese pans I bought at WalMart with the same type of sandwich construction that seem to work just as well and cost a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My D3 are fine, best pan and pots.

All Clad stand behind their products, keep contacting them, they will make it right.

BTW, where did you bought your D5 from?
I stay away from the All-Clad factory seconds thou.
View Quote

You might be on the money there...

It was from Home and Cook seconds sale.   But this pan was advertised as "Packaging Damage", *not* "Second Quality".   I don't give a crap if the box has water damage or whatever.  I assumed (my bad) that the pan was 100%
I give them credit, they did cross ship a replacement, but it was just as bad as the first.   Also give All-Clad credit, they are replacing it again.

Since no-one else in this thread so far has a problem with these pans being warped out of the box, I am starting to suspect that "packaging damage" means it was a return, not a "second quality" scratch and dent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Overpriced to say the least... same goes for Le Creuset.

My wife has one All Clad tri-ply skillet she picked up at an estate sale. it does a decent job, but not good enough to justify the purchase of another All Clad pan.

Most of her cookware is Tramontina; it does a good job according to her.

Her favorite, and mine, is the OXO 12" Non-Stick Skillet. This skillet was $39 and it refuses to let food stick and cooks food evenly.      

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/547908/OXO_Non-Stick_12inch-2075632.jpg
View Quote
I bought my last non stick skillet from Ollie's last year for twelve dollars and I make bacon on it every morning. Still going great. I have stainless and cast iron pans too but why bother when this twelve dollar pan works great?  Cookware technology isn't some mystical science, anyone can make a pan that works just as well as all clad for 10% of the price.

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine have been 100%. We have the entire set of D5 and love them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There might not be anything wrong with a glass top electric stove, but cooking on one sucks horribly compared to gas.
View Quote

I am a better than average cook and have cooked on gas, induction, resistive electric and the old school electric coils.    No doubt the resistive electric glass top that came with my house is the worst of the bunch, but my food turns out just as good on any stove once I understand it's characteristics.     If if ever dies or if I remodel, I'll get an induction stove which blows away gas on every performance metric I can think of except maybe style.

-Brian
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
anyone can make a pan that works just as well as all clad for 10% of the price.
View Quote

Then why don't they?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Complaining about All-Clad while using a glass induction stove...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my glass stove top

Complaining about All-Clad while using a glass induction stove...

Not induction.

But OP, just about every pan made of stamped metal is prone to warping on glass stovetops. Saucepans and pots don't do this too badly though.

Cast aluminum (like Berndes, and oddly, some of the Ikea stuff), or cast iron is going to be the most reliable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple dozen all clad and none have any issues like OP describes.  He's talking two pieces?  Where'd you buy them?  Auntie Ems second hand store?  

It's a fine brand.  Maybe not Gordon Ramsey fine.  But it's served me well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How is a glass-top incompatible with cast iron? I have occasion to use a glass-top (non-induction) frequently with cast iron. More often, I use an induction glass-top with cast iron. Standard glass tops suck, but they do work.

View Quote

I’ve never had any issues with cast iron pans either on a glass top stove

Now also wondering if OP might have damaged / warped the allclad by immersing a very hot pan in cold water?   That might do it.   If cold water is dumped in a hot pot/pan, you’ve got a bud temperature differential and that thermal shock could cause a shape distortion.  
 Allclad also has some part of its line that should not be heated very high.   Might be the ones that are anodized aluminum outside.

Also my observations on the Allclad seconds - good deals are rare anymore.   They’ve just become too popular and their factory sale in Washington   They know they can still command a high price for anything but the worst takeoffs.  
Maybe 15-20 years ago the factory sale would get a small crowd at any given time.  Now they had to move to the county fairgrounds and they have to limit attendees for fire marshal rules.  And people come from several states away, and many fill up u haul to the probably resell on eBay
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Demyere or bust. Try the nicer euro brands. Faulk, de buyer, Mauviel, matfer Bougeat, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly, vintage Revere Ware pots and pans are tits.
View Quote

My wife has an old Revere Ware pot that I like to joke was made by Paul himself.

It's visually challenged, but still works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
That sucks OP.

I also have an Emeril branded all clad set that's been fine enough...I live less than an hour from the factory and keep planning on going when they have one of their factory sales, but haven't made it yet.

I hope your shit gets replaced with something good.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now also wondering if OP might have damaged / warped the allclad by immersing a very hot pan in cold water?
View Quote

Never been used.   Took out of the box, set on the stove and it sat there wobbling back and forth... The first one was so warped right out of the box only about 1/3 of the pan would make contact with the stove top.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not induction.

But OP, just about every pan made of stamped metal is prone to warping on glass stovetops. Saucepans and pots don't do this too badly though.

Cast aluminum (like Berndes, and oddly, some of the Ikea stuff), or cast iron is going to be the most reliable.
View Quote

Never heard that one before.  Why is that?  I've had a couple of pans warp, but I think I quenched them in water while they were hot, because it helped clean them, not knowing it could damage them.  Luckily, I realized that with cheaper pans before I got better stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just bought a brand new All-Clad D5 12.5 inch skillet and a D3 8 QT stock pot.

Both are cupped so that the middle is about 1/8" higher than the edges and all liquids pool around the perimeter.    

The skillet was also badly warped right out of the box so that it rocks on my glass stove top.   I returned the skillet and the replacement was warped just as badly.

I had thought that All-Clad was supposed to be tier 1 but I have cheap chinese crap that is perfectly flat....  What am I missing?

Before everyone says just use cast iron, I have plenty of cast iron but also like to use a stainless pan for things that will damage the seasoning.
View Quote

Wife has a full set of All-Clad. They are GTG. You probably bought some knock off Chicom shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am a better than average cook and have cooked on gas, induction, resistive electric and the old school electric coils.    No doubt the resistive electric glass top that came with my house is the worst of the bunch, but my food turns out just as good on any stove once I understand it's characteristics.     If if ever dies or if I remodel, I'll get an induction stove which blows away gas on every performance metric I can think of except maybe style.

-Brian
View Quote

Yep I just sold my house with induction and moved into an apartment with gas. I'm going to ask them if I can put in an induction stove. If not, I'm getting a tier 1 induction plate for my primary cooking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How is a glass-top incompatible with cast iron? I have occasion to use a glass-top (non-induction) frequently with cast iron. More often, I use an induction glass-top with cast iron. Standard glass tops suck, but they do work.

View Quote
It scratches the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Never heard that one before.  Why is that?  I've had a couple of pans warp, but I think I quenched them in water while they were hot, because it helped clean them, not knowing it could damage them.  Luckily, I realized that with cheaper pans before I got better stuff.
View Quote

Differential heating- the center heats up so much more and faster than the surrounding metal that it warps the pan.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It scratches the crap out of it.
View Quote
Unless you're purposely grinding it back and forth, no it doesn't. At least not on a quality, modern glass cooktop. I use cast iron almost exclusively on my induction stove and have zero scratching.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Demeyere is what you seek sir:

Demeyere - Frying in a stainless steel pan with Demeyere - US version
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a comparison performance All Clad vs Demeyere Atlantis.

Our All Clad 10in skillet/fry pan warped like crazy after several years of hard misuse by my ex wife.  Might have been a factor in the divorce.  I tossed it out along with her and bought Atlantis and started dating hot Russian model.

Comparison test starts at 2 minutes:

Demeyere Atlantis 7-ply Construction
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aside from being super slow to adjust temperature and incompatible with cast iron, they are perfectly acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with a good-quality glass-top stove.  If you can't cook on one, it's not the stove's fault.  I've had them in three different houses for 18 years.  The current one is the best I've used.  None were induction.

I'm sure there are some crappy ones, of course, and that might be where a lot of the bad rep comes from.  My first one was okay, but it took a little getting used to.  Each time I've moved, they've gotten better.
Aside from being super slow to adjust temperature and incompatible with cast iron, they are perfectly acceptable.

All I use is cast iron on mine, you just have to make sure your cast iron is flat bottom and not drop you Dutch oven on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The answer you seek is Demeyere.  Be prepared for sticker shock.
View Quote

FIFY

But to the OP, all my All-Clad, most many years old, are perfectly flat workhorses. Take them back...
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

-Brian
View Quote

I have gas at work and induction at home. Overall I prefer induction. It's cleaner and cooler for one thing, plus it responds instantly, no big exhaust needed etc. Boils water faster than anything I've seen. Its really perfect for home use. I had to replace nearly all my pans, which I did with D5 all clad, and they are definitely good to go.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#29]
OK so this is the video I was looking for.  Comparison Demeyere Atlantis vs All Clad, both 12in

This video led to my divorce and my new hot relationship, and my new choice in cookware.  

My experience with All Clad is exactly what is demonstrated in this vid; likewise my Demeyere is incredibly reliably stable and flat.  This makes a huge difference in how evenly things brown and sear.

I'll bow out now; enjoy your search for Demeyere Atlantis.

Demeyere Atlantis: Flat Base Stability
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Tramontina
View Quote

I have their entire set, just made sure you get the tri-ply (not just the base). I've been using it for over a decade, good stuff, no warp, and I use it on gas like real cooks, not that glass top crap.

Much of All-Clad is made in China now, the quality on some of their lines is lower, they are going for profit off their name, they have become Calphanon or Toyota.

Staub is what you want for coated cast iron. DeBuyer is a good baseline for carbon pans. We don't use so much stainless steel anymore. My GF became annoyed at how long it took to boil water, went and bought aluminum stock pots.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
There are different tiers of tier 1 all clad. D3 or tri-clad is the bottom of the line, then d5 and one more above. We have all d5 and a couple tri clad pieces but warping doesn’t really matter to me since we have a gas range.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with a good-quality glass-top stove.  If you can't cook on one, it's not the stove's fault.  I've had them in three different houses for 18 years.  The current one is the best I've used.  None were induction.

I'm sure there are some crappy ones, of course, and that might be where a lot of the bad rep comes from.  My first one was okay, but it took a little getting used to.  Each time I've moved, they've gotten better.
View Quote
sorry but glass sucks compared to blue flame, sure you can cook on it but fire is a superior way to cook with instant variable heat
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My wife has an entire All-Clad set.  It's excellent quality stuff.  Never noticed a problem like yours OP.
View Quote
I have a bunch from the 90s, mine is all perfect.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You might be on the money there...

It was from Home and Cook seconds sale.   But this pan was advertised as "Packaging Damage", *not* "Second Quality".   I don't give a crap if the box has water damage or whatever.  I assumed (my bad) that the pan was 100%
I give them credit, they did cross ship a replacement, but it was just as bad as the first.   Also give All-Clad credit, they are replacing it again.

Since no-one else in this thread so far has a problem with these pans being warped out of the box, I am starting to suspect that "packaging damage" means it was a return, not a "second quality" scratch and dent.
View Quote

I've bought a bunch of first and second quality pans for home and gifts.... never had any warp.  Have had some 3 layer warp in my restaurant days, but the way we treated them, there wasn't a pan on earth that wouldn't have.

Definitely unusual for All-Clad.  Return or exchange them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#35]
So, All Clad has confirmed that they are indeed garbage.

All-Clad said:
Examination of your cookware reveals that there is no defect in material, construction, or workmanship. The flatness of the pan is within specifications based on the size. As a result of this evaluation, your original product will be shipped back to you.
View Quote

This pan is so warped that only half of it will make contact with the burner...  And that apparently meets Union-Made in USA quality standards.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This pan is so warped that only half of it will make contact with the burner...  And that apparently meets Union-Made in USA quality standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All-Clad said:
Examination of your cookware reveals that there is no defect in material, construction, or workmanship. The flatness of the pan is within specifications based on the size. As a result of this evaluation, your original product will be shipped back to you.

Doh
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah that's sad to hear. Glad mine are GTG and won't have to buy new pans the rest of my life, with any luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

All-Clad said:

You warped the pan, or you purchased it that way?

Interesting response- would be interesting to see the bottom of the pan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You warped the pan, or you purchased it that way?

Interesting response- would be interesting to see the bottom of the pan.
View Quote

Straight out of the box, set it on the cold stove and it was like a weeble wobble.   CS claimed it would straighten out when heated... It does not... maybe because it has so little contact with the burner.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Stainless steel cookware is a really bad idea.  Stainless is used as a liner for travel cups because it is horrible at thermal transfer.

With stainless,  the cookware is protecting the food from the heat, not cooking it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Stainless steel cookware is a really bad idea.  Stainless is used as a liner for travel cups because it is horrible at thermal transfer.

With stainless,  the cookware is protecting the food from the heat, not cooking it.
View Quote

Que?

Almost every decent restaurant in America uses solid stainless pots and pans

ETA: I see what you're saying, but regardless of how "stainless steel" (which is kind of a catch all) transfers heat vs other materials, I can assure you it's not a limiting factor in cooking food

It's not a refractory lol.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what do you sear your steaks on? Aluminum, and or Copper? The thermal resistance is what makes them a good cooking tool.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Return it.  Even the best stuff can have defective pieces slip through.

And consider Tramontina tri-ply clad (not tri-ply base).
90+% as good as All-Clad for a third of the price.  Or at least it was when I bought mine.
View Quote

I have Tramontina Tryplyclad and like them a lot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

All-Clad said:

I would find that hard to swallow and would ask for details on their specifications and testing methodology. It may be that some low level person was just being lazy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Straight out of the box, set it on the cold stove and it was like a weeble wobble.   CS claimed it would straighten out when heated... It does not... maybe because it has so little contact with the burner.
View Quote

Send it to me OP, Ill use it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Overpriced. For the price of one all clad Pan you could buy a dozen non stick pans.
View Quote
Perhaps the most ill-informed comment on GD today.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#47]
I have one all clad that is 20+ yrs old and one I was given that is a few years old
big difference between the two as far as thickness and weight,
the newer pan is thin, not much material
the old one is considerably thicker and cooks better because of it. no deformation at all
new one will flex in the center when hot
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Send it to me OP, Ill use it.
View Quote

They are taking it back whether they know it or not.   CC Chargeback time if they don't agree to a full refund.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top