Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 4:59:28 PM EDT
Just wanted to plug the book Iron Coffins - the memiors of a German U-boat captain in WWII. I am a big submarine fan and picked up Coffins after seeing it mentioned in a thread here. It's sort of like Das Boot except it covers an entire career instead of just a single patrol. There is less detail on the tactical actions but it gives a better picture of life during the war. I absolutely could not put it down and lost a lot of work time as a result :).

I also picked up Blind Man's Bluff which was also mentioned here. It covers some of the outrageous stuff the US and Soviet Navies did to each other during the Cold War. I hope it will be made into a movie someday.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Good book, I suggest you give “Pig Boats" (History of United States Submarine Operations in World War II) by Theodore Roscoe a read.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just wanted to plug the book Iron Coffins - the memiors of a German U-boat captain in WWII. I am a big submarine fan and picked up Coffins after seeing it mentioned in a thread here. It's sort of like Das Boot except it covers an entire career instead of just a single patrol. There is less detail on the tactical actions but it gives a better picture of life during the war. I absolutely could not put it down and lost a lot of work time as a result :).

I also picked up Blind Man's Bluff which was also mentioned here. It covers some of the outrageous stuff the US and Soviet Navies did to each other during the Cold War. I hope it will be made into a movie someday.

Read it about 25 years ago.  Very good.  He was a lucky man to survive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top