Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:34:25 PM EDT
So, I'm watching Iron Chef America and I really like both of them but I was realizing that on Iron Chef America, their secret ingredients aren't too challenging.

For example, tonight, their secret ingredient is PIZZA DOUGH!!! How is that so difficult to work with? Another time the secret ingredient was Hamburger.

I guess I'm so used to it being something exotic.

Anyways, for those of you that watch it? Which do you like better?

Poll coming.....as soon as I figure out how to add one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:45:51 PM EDT
The problem is that they have to cater to American tastes. They cant use real exotic stuff without grossing people out or totally confusing the chefs. The Japanese are really into exotic foods and love all sorts of stuff. Our food is relatively bland compared to what others eat in the world. Only the US eats mostly beef and chickern and pork. Other countries also eat horse, dogs, cats, dolphins (yes Flipper type of dolphin), snakes etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:53:53 PM EDT
Yea, I can understand that ARDOC....but even I can come up with recipes to make with hamburger meat!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:55:14 PM EDT
Iron Chef America is terrible, I'd rather work at McDonalds for an hour that watch that crap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:02:11 PM EDT
MMMM Soilent Green!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:03:00 PM EDT
ICA is less campy too. But the camp was what made IC so funny.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:19:13 PM EDT
no contest, the org is better
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:24:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
no contest, the org is better

yup, ingredients suck, judges suck, "reporters" i.e. alton brown etc suck....i could go on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:05:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
ICA is less campy too. But the camp was what made IC so funny.

+1, it's like cooking meets professional wrestling with the rants that the challengers do at the begining of the show.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:35:01 AM EDT
I agree with ARDOC when it comes to the ingredients. While I'm still curious to see what two chefs can do with shark heads, it's not something the average American is going to pick up at the local grocer and experiment with.

I would like to see what they could do with products that normally take a longer time to cook within a narrow time window. Years ago I saw one of the first attempts to Americanize the show, and the secret ingredient was turkey. Instead of spending a couple of hours in the oven, they had to work it out with smaller quantities.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Moondog:
I agree with ARDOC when it comes to the ingredients. While I'm still curious to see what two chefs can do with shark heads, it's not something the average American is going to pick up at the local grocer and experiment with.

I would like to see what they could do with products that normally take a longer time to cook within a narrow time window. Years ago I saw one of the first attempts to Americanize the show, and the secret ingredient was turkey. Instead of spending a couple of hours in the oven, they had to work it out with smaller quantities.

\

I agree totally. Why would you want to see turkey being cooked instead of Kobe beef or Lobster?

There are a lot of shows that do turkey.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:18:08 AM EDT
I nearly dropped my teeth when I heard the IC secret ingredient a couple of weeks ago:

"Battle Carp is on in kitchen stadium!"

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT
Original is always best.

Max
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:25:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:29:51 AM EDT
I like watching the original Iron Chef, but I wouldn't eat 1% of the crap they serve up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:31:22 AM EDT
Chariman Kaga defined the timeless tradition that was Kitchen Stadium, he was benevolent, yet merciless. For generations, the epic battles fought by Iron Chefs Chen Kenichi, aka "The Szechuan Sage", Rokusaburo Michiba, Hiroyuki Sakai and Masaharu Morimoto will be told to youngsters far and wide.

In stark contrast stands the pathetic "Iron Chef America" with the odious "Bobby Flay". who defiled a cutting board by standing on it, it was an outrage and America's darkest hour. It is a poor, pathetic and wretched imitation of an original, and likely a commie plot to corrupt our youth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:43:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:
Chariman Kaga defined the timeless tradition that was Kitchen Stadium, he was benevolent, yet merciless. For generations, the epic battles fought by Iron Chefs Chen Kenichi, aka "The Szechuan Sage", Rokusaburo Michiba, Hiroyuki Sakai and Masaharu Morimoto will be told to youngsters far and wide.

In stark contrast stands the pathetic "Iron Chef America" with the odious "Bobby Flay". who defiled a cutting board by standing on it, it was an outrage and America's darkest hour. It is a poor, pathetic and wretched imitation of an original, and likely a commie plot to corrupt our youth.

I like the Japanese Iron Chefs. I like the exotic food that I will most likely never taste and the commentary is great. Michiba san is my favorite.
Top Top