Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 8:16:00 AM EDT
Dont be surprised if western governments are trying to solve the Iranian nuclear crisis creatively.

Bombing targeted Iranian president?
Report says Ahmadinejad canceled trip after security tip

Posted: January 24, 2006
10:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (courtesy Radio Netherlands)
Lebanon's al-Manar Television, run by the pro-Iranian Hezbollah terrorist group, announced today that President Ahmadinejad canceled his trip to Iran's southern city of Ahvaz on Monday after a security tip warning him Arab dissidents planned to assassinate him with a series of bombings.

Today, just minutes after 10 a.m. local time, two bombs exploded in Ahvaz, one outside a privately run bank, the other outside the city's Natural Resources Department.

Early reports indicated the attacks killed eight to 10 people, injuring dozens more. Ahmadinejad is known for his walks through the streets of the cities he visits, and the attacks were believed to be coordinated for his schedule locations.

Tehran claimed Ahmadinejad's visit to Ahvaz was canceled because weather reports had predicted sandstorms that would have wrecked his trademark walks through the streets to mingle with the local people.

As WorldNetDaily reported, on Dec. 15, gunmen ambushed Ahmadinejad's motorcade, leaving his driver and one of his bodyguards dead, however the hard-line leader escaped injury because he was not in the car at the time. Iran's state-controlled press reported "armed bandits and troublemakers on the Zabol-Saravan highway" had been responsible for the shoot-out.

Today, Iran's state-controlled press is blaming the bombings in Ahvaz on ethnic Arab extremists with links to foreign governments, including Britain, a charge London has denied.

Ahvaz has been rocked for months by protests and car bombings attributed to the city's large Arab population. The city is surrounded by Iran's southwestern province of Khuzestan, the location of most of Iran's oil reserves, estimated to be 10 percent of the world's total.

Arabs – a minority in Persian, Farsi-speaking Iran – are a substantial ethnic population in Khuzestan. Ahmadinejad's ultra-conservative government has caused unrest by floating a proposal to move non-Arabs into Khuzestan to dilute Arab influence there.

In recent weeks, expatriate Iranian pro-democracy groups in the United States and Europe have been calling for regime change in Tehran, arguing the Ahmadinejad's ultra-conservative regime has reversed important reforms instituted by the two previous presidents, Hashemi-Rafsanjani and Muhammad Khatami. The new administration has systematically replaced all top officials of the national and provincial governments with Revolutionary Guards militants, many of whom have intelligence or security backgrounds.

On Saturday, Ahmadinejad announced Interior Minister Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi was appointed to head the new National Security Council and also serve as the country's Interior Minister. For some 13 years, beginning in the late 1980s, Pour-Mohammadi was the deputy minister of intelligence and security, turning the Interior Ministry into a huge intelligence and security apparatus and bringing in many officers from Iran's secret police.

International human rights groups have accused Pour-Mohammadi of systematic extra-judicial killings of opposition figures, including activists and intellectuals. Analysts see the Iranian regime under the leadership of Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Khamenei renewing extreme measures to repress internal dissent as the country presses forward defiantly with its nuclear program, re-opening "research and development" uranium enrichment at Natanz. But internal dissatisfaction is building throughout the country, observers say, as Ahmadinejad fails to deliver on his campaign promise to redistribute Iran's windfall oil profits to the country's middle class and poor.

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48483
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
These groups need a little help from us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I suspect Pat Robertson.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Too bad.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I suspect Pat Robertson.

Pat Robertson suspects God.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
These groups need a little help from us.

I think they need a little 'Man on Fire' action.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow... I'm actually cheering for some Arabs for once.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Iran's lunatic president dodges another assassination attempt  

Dagnabit. More of my tax dollars spent with nothing to show for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

- BG

Iranians aren't Arabs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't the CIA just get him an exploding cuban cigar?  Or a LSD-laced cookie?

Oh wait, those don't work.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

Iranians aren't Arabs.

There's an Arab minority in the south west of Iran, the article says.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

Iranians aren't Arabs.

Lebanon's al-Manar Television, run by the pro-Iranian Hezbollah terrorist group, announced today that President Ahmadinejad canceled his trip to Iran's southern city of Ahvaz on Monday after a security tip warning him Arab dissidents planned to assassinate him with a series of bombings.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Publicity stunt...thay set it up to make him look like a victim of Westernization....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the Black Ops are already in action.

They need to wipe this guy out dead, or we're going to have a big fucking clusterfuck out there.

This guy is another in the long line of insane Islamic leaders with aspirations of becoming the Kalifah.  As soon as this lunatic gets a Nuke, he's going to light up Tel Aviv and, in turn, Israel will light up the capitals of five or six of those backwards fuck regimes over there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt the Arab minority are agitating for political freedoms, more like they just want a piece of the oil pie. And as is typical, todays freedom fighter (well, that's what they will call themselves when they want our money) is tomorrow's terrorist.

I think we would do well not to touch this guy, or bomb Iranian enrichment facilities. It would alienate the Iranian populace (Iran is home, even if the President is a bit nutty) and they would no longer accept compromises (like the Russian plan) and move right on to warhead and missile design refinement, until such time as they can dictate terms.

But whatever, world leaders will just wring their hands until the shit hits the fan, the specifics are almost irrlevant. Just they way the world works.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

Iranians aren't Arabs.

Ah, sorry, didn't catch that.  No wonder they fucked it up.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Better luck next time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Lebanon's al-Manar Television, run by the pro-Iranian Hezbollah terrorist group, announced today that President Ahmadinejad canceled his trip to Iran's southern city of Ahvaz on Monday after a security tip warning him Arab dissidents planned to assassinate him with a series of bombings. ...

I’ve never thought of WorldNetDaily as a particularly reliable source to begin with.

And I think Hezbollah is probably even less reliable.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Better luck next time.

No, I think that this is grand-standing by the Prez. to make it look like his security is better than it is.  The bit with his motorcade getting hit may have been a precursor to this, or it may have startled him into doing something like this.  

Why would they have left the bombs in place if the trip had been cancelled?  It would only kill their own people to no end.

It is probably a set-up to justify movement against the Arab minority.

IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry guys I missed, but you all know how Murphy shows up just when you don't need him. I will try harder next time the girl scouts I was using got distracted selling cookies and the cub scouts were found tying knots on each other. The pack leaders were caught smoking a hookha, the second in tripped on her burqua falling hitting her head. The dog that I sent in was shot by JBT outside of town. My assistant pissed off Chuck Norris and a last word his head had made low earth orbit after the roundhouse kick.
I maybe in trouble now because Chuck thinks I was trying to steal his glory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top