Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/25/2013 6:53:30 PM EDT

But the situation is more complex than it appears, argues former deputy director-general for safeguards at the IAEA and senior nuclear inspector Olli Heinonen in a recent article co-authored with Simon Henderson. While acknowledging the decrease in 20 percent enriched uranium in centrifuge feedstock form, Heinonen reaches a different conclusion: that Iran has discovered a way to circumvent Israel’s red line, rather than abide by it.

Iran has the capability to reconvert the uranium material back to the gas needed for its nuclear program. The converted 20 percent enriched uranium, now in a less worrisome oxide form, can “be converted back into centrifuge feedstock within a week.” Heinonen explains that Iran may be able to do this without risk of detection.

The question is whether the act of reconversion itself can be detected by the IAEA or the United States, as the level of oxidized uranium decreases and the level of uranium suitable for centrifuge feedstock increases.

Heinonen doubts that outsiders could detect such a change: “If there is a new, undeclared, yet-to-be-revealed centrifuge plant, the arithmetic changes again."

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/the-thin-red-line-is-iran-outmaneuvering-the-u-s-and-israel.premium-1.517373

Also see:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-already-past-nuclear-red-line-expert-says/

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 7:12:01 PM EDT by MK262]
Cliff notes explanation:

In otherwords, Iran has converted some of its 20% enriched Uranium from a gas (UF6, which can be spun and enriched in their centrifuges)  into an Oxide form (UO2) which can be turned into pellets to be used in fuel rods, but is incapable of being further enriched in centrifuges. This has decreased their 20% enriched stockpile of centrifuge feedstock, which many have celebrated as Iran starting to show movement toward respecting Israel's red line.

While in reality, they have actually already passed the 250 kg of 20% enriched uranium set by Israel as a red line because they can take the 20% material that they converted to UO2 powder and turn it back into UF6 gas within a week. When you add the total amounts of the two types of 20% enriched Uranium, both UF6 gas and UO2 powder, Iran has more than 250 kg of 20% enriched Uranium.

Yet no one is willing yet to point this out in our Government.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:13:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MK262:
Cliff notes explanation:

In otherwords, Iran has converted some of its 20% enriched Uranium from a gas (UF6, which can be spun and enriched in their centrifuges)  into an Oxide form (UO2) which can be turned into pellets to be used in fuel rods, but is incapable of being further enriched in centrifuges. This has decreased their 20% enriched stockpile of centrifuge feedstock, which many have celebrated as Iran starting to show movement toward respecting Israel's red line.

While in reality, they have actually already passed the 250 kg of 20% enriched uranium set by Israel as a red line because they can take the 20% material that they converted to UO2 powder and turn it back into UF6 gas within a week. When you add the total amounts of the two types of 20% enriched Uranium, both UF6 gas and UO2 powder, Iran has more than 250 kg of 20% enriched Uranium.

Obama didn't take that class yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:14:47 PM EDT
I'm just glad we're finally over the whole North Korea thing and can get back to our weekly "Israel is going to attack Iran any day now" threads.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:19:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VarmintKilla:
Cliff notes explanation:

Obama didn't take that class yet.

Forget that class, did Obama even take Physics 101?

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:20:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
I'm just glad we're finally over the whole North Korea thing and can get back to our weekly "Israel is going to attack Iran any day now" threads.

Yes. We were due for a Iran vs. Israel thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:22:18 PM EDT
This is all way above Zero's pay grade. His people are too busy planning who to point the finger at if something happens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:23:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the reminder.  Anytime I want to cross a line, I just do it in a complex way and get everything I want.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:33:14 PM EDT
Seems like a lot of crazy stuff going on in the world all at once, more than usual...and all our government is worried about is its citizens being able to defend themselves if everything comes crashing down. Lame.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:35:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vxtip545:
Seems like a lot of crazy stuff going on in the world all at once, more than usual...and all our government is worried about is its citizens being able to defend themselves if everything comes crashing down. Lame.

Agreed...China has invaded India and Japan at the same time....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:36:29 PM EDT
bla bla bla

Same old story from Israel for the past 20 years.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:38:16 PM EDT
Nothing to see here....move along
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:42:06 PM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/25/2013 7:49:05 PM EDT by Citadel-SC]
Well that is Israel's problem...nothing will happen.  I am more worried at this point in our Government trying to get us further involved in Syria.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:48:10 PM EDT
War, war, war.   Endless rumors of war.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:54:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Citadel-SC:
Well that is Israel's problem...nothing will happen.  I am more worried at this point in our Government trying to get us further involved in Syria.

The only reason anyone gives a flying fuck about Syria is because Assad's fall will weaken Iran's power and influence in the region. So, the two issues are connected to a degree.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:58:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Citadel-SC:

The only reason anyone gives a flying fuck about Syria is because Assad's fall will weaken Iran's power and influence in the region. So, the two issues are connected to a degree.

Agreed.  I don't think the most obvious alternative (some fractured and tenuous Sunni secular and religious coalition) to Assad will be worth the trade off or perceived benefit vis a vis Iran. I guess only time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:04:10 PM EDT
This thread needs more fudge factoring
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:32:21 PM EDT
Bump
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:36:46 PM EDT
Iran won't do a fucking thing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:37:24 PM EDT
Huh. Imagine that.

Still more worried about DC than Tehran.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:45:32 PM EDT

Well that diagram just has me convinced guys. Full support to Israel.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:47:01 PM EDT
You know what i have noticed lately, everyone keeps setting these "red lines", they keep getting crossed, and nobody does shit. Norks have nukes, we keep saying we wont accept a nuclear north korea. seems like zero is accepting it just fine. Israel says iran crossed the red line, yet they do nothing. We say syria crossed a red line, yet nothing so far, too early to tell on that one. But as far as im concerned, wake me up when they decide enough red lines have been crossed to actually DO something. But then again, i say mind our own business, spend our money here on the homeland, put up a missile defense grid that nothing can get through, and lock down the borders. Then hide in our ammo fort.
Top Top