Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2011 5:15:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:45:43 AM EST by UnderTheGun]
Any of you had experience with both? Pro's and con's of your experience would be appreciated.

I'm currently on Ipad 1 but like the idea of not being limited by Apple preferences (i.e. no flash). Also, the Galaxy has the ability to run 4 G. My conern is that I'd be starting all over in the app purchase department, which could get expesive, but if it's worth it, I'll do it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:22:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 5:22:45 AM EST by Zcwilkins]
Originally Posted By UnderTheGun:
Any of you had experience with both? Pro's and con's of your experience would be appreciated.

I'm currently on Ipad 1 but like the idea of not being limited by Apple preferences (i.e. no flash). Also, the Galaxy has the ability to run 4 G. My conern is that I'd be starting all over in the app purchase department, which could get expesive, but if it's worth it, I'll do it.

I have no experience with the Galaxy, but we love our iPad 2. Those were actually our front-runners as well. From what I know 4G is more hype than anything so I wouldn't let that sway your decision.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:23:55 AM EST
I loooove the ipad2 I bought on Monday !!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:27:41 AM EST
iPad 2. My xoom xucks... Few android apps, and those aren't as good in most cases as the same app in iPad. Also, a grandma can operate an iPad, android, not so easily.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:28:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 5:35:12 AM EST by ScaryBlackGuns]
I am a devout Android phone lover, but even I have an iPad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:29:51 AM EST
I have an ipad 2 as well.

no experience with the others though.

I love it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:37:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 5:43:42 AM EST by Bohr_Adam]
I have learned many expensive lessons in my day. I bought the expensive laptop that the computer types here overwhelmingly said was better than a Mac. It ended up being a huge waste of money. I now have two Mac laptops, and couldn't be happier. I recently bought a Motorola Atrix phone, hoping to combine two gadgets in my life - my Blackberry and my iPod touch. I had let myself believe it could do everything the iPhone could do and more, thanks to hundreds of posts here to that effect. I sit here now, Atrix on my belt and old iPod touch in my pocket.

Frankly, at this point nothing the Apple bashers can say will convince me that anyone else's tablet can do what the iPad can do. I've been burned too many times. Education is getting too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:39:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
I have learned any expensive lessons in my day. I bought the expensive laptop that the computer types here overwhelmingly said was better than a Mac. It ended up being a huge waste of money. I now have two Mac laptops, and couldn't be happier. I recently bought a Motorola Atrix phone, hoping to combine two gadgets in my life - my Blackberry and my iPod touch. I had let myself believe it could do everything the iPhone could do and more, thanks to hundreds of posts here to that effect. I sit here now, Atrix on my belt and old iPod touch in my pocket.

Frankly, at this point nothing the Apple bashers can say will convince me that anyone else's tablet can do what the iPad can do. I've been burned too many times. Education is getting too expensive.

I am reluctantly going to go with this as well...verbatim.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:40:40 AM EST
iPad2.
The Galaxy Tab is nice but for the price the iPad2 is a no brainer.
There's a few browsers you could try for your flash content on the iPad2
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:42:49 AM EST

Out of curiosity, why 4G? This is being offered on a lot of tablet PC's and I just don't get it. Are you really in need of access (particularly limited speed and size access) for as much as you would pay for home service? Especially if you will mostly be using it at home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:43:03 AM EST
You seriously miss Flash?

Even on my own live streaming site (which uses Flash for the video), I'm in the middle of creating a solution for iOS devices. When I'm done, I can think of no reason why I'd actually need Flash for anything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:43:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Khemist:

I have learned any expensive lessons in my day. I bought the expensive laptop that the computer types here overwhelmingly said was better than a Mac. It ended up being a huge waste of money. I now have two Mac laptops, and couldn't be happier. I recently bought a Motorola Atrix phone, hoping to combine two gadgets in my life - my Blackberry and my iPod touch. I had let myself believe it could do everything the iPhone could do and more, thanks to hundreds of posts here to that effect. I sit here now, Atrix on my belt and old iPod touch in my pocket.

Well, you probably would have spelled "many" with an "m." I really need to learn to proofread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:46:16 AM EST
Need Poll, but ipad 2 ftw
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:59:03 AM EST
Take this for what its worth but I have the Samsung Captivate (Samsung Galaxy) cellphone and it is AWFUL. How Samsung could EVER let a phone like this go out to consumers is beyond me. There is virtually no support for it, the phone itself is extremely sluggish and laggy and I have to put up with it for another year.

This is not the first time I have heard of this either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:02:34 AM EST
Jeez is the tablet fad died down yet?

Can't wait for it just be another "meh" device.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:09:55 AM EST
iPad, and it's not even close. I've tried Droid tablets, and they're nowhere near as well done.

Apple stuff just seems to work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:21:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 6:22:40 AM EST by thebomber]
I recently went thru this same decision and coincidently enough a friend was asking the same question this AM. I have a Touch and like it as a device but I hate having to use iTunes so that puts the Ipad at -1 right from the get go.

Although the Samsung does not allow you to directly use jump drives (need a $25 adapter), with the Ipad you have no option at all. If this is an important feature to you then you may want to consider the Gallaxy.

Just because Samsung may make a shitty phone doesn't mean the Gallaxy is shitty.

To the person who said their aren't many Android apps I give you .

I went with the Gallaxy Tab myself because I'm not a fan of being locked into Apple only apps as well as iTunes. I could not be happier but I am not going to tell you that the Gallaxy is better. OTOH, I'm not sure the Ipad is better either. I think they are so close it comes down to preference in the OS.

I own a Droid X2 so it was natural for me to buy the Gallaxy. If you already own an iphone then go with the iPAD.

There's a lot of "generalization" and "by extension" comments in the thread. Just because you don't like the Motorola Zoom, doesn't mean you wouldn't like the Gallaxy. Two different products.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:23:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 6:24:25 AM EST by M4-AK]
Originally Posted By thebomber:
I recently went thru this same decision and coincidently enough a friend was asking the same question this AM. I have a Touch and like it as a device but I hate having to use iTunes so that puts the Ipad at -1 right from the get go.

Although the Samsung does not allow you to directly use jump drives (need a $25 adapter), with the Ipad you have no option at all. If this is an important feature to you then you may want to consider the Gallaxy.

Just because Samsung may make a shitty phone doesn't mean the Gallaxy is shitty.

I went with the Gallaxy Tab myself because I'm not a fan of being locked into Apple only apps as well as iTunes. I could not be happier but I am not going to tell you that the Gallaxy is better. OTOH, I'm not sure the Ipad is better either. I think they are so close it comes down to preference in the OS.

I own a Droid X2 so it was natural for me to buy the Gallaxy. If you already own an iphone then go with the iPAD.

iTunes will go away as the software provder in October. It will still exsist for music and such, but you won't get your operating system from iTunes or have to sync to it. All operating system upgrades will come from the app store when iOS 5 comes out next week.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:24:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Daps:
iPad2.

Which browsers ? Plz
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:25:18 AM EST
The appstore keeps you from getting virus or malicious apps. It's safer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:25:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 6:28:57 AM EST by thebomber]
This comparison may be valuable to you.

Gallaxy 10.1 vs iPad 2

The display speakers and camera are all better (based on the numbers) in the Gallaxy. It's more configurable and open to future advances.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 6:32:54 AM EST by M4-AK]

Gallaxy 10.1 vs iPad 2

If you want to screw with or hack it, get android. If you just want it to simply work, get iPad. When iOS 5 comes out, it will be even easier to use. No more Computer or iTunes to sync to for updates.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:32:40 AM EST
ASUS Transformer?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:34:26 AM EST

Gallaxy 10.1 vs iPad 2

The display speakers and camera are all better (based on the numbers) in the Gallaxy. It's more configurable and open to future advances.

From your link:

"So I guess my bottom-line advice is this: at price parity, the iPad 2 is a better bet for the average user, since it’s a more stable, near-perfect device with a rich assortment of apps for nearly every possible function you’d like to perform on your tablet. Therefore, unless you’ve got a grudge against Apple for some reason, or are enamored with the idea of having a more configurable tablet, there’s not a lot of justification to go with the less mature, less established device at the same price. "
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:37:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By M4-AK:

Gallaxy 10.1 vs iPad 2

From your link:

"So I guess my bottom-line advice is this: at price parity, the iPad 2 is a better bet for the average user, since it’s a more stable, near-perfect device with a rich assortment of apps for nearly every possible function you’d like to perform on your tablet. Therefore, unless you’ve got a grudge against Apple for some reason, or are enamored with the idea of having a more configurable tablet, there’s not a lot of justification to go with the less mature, less established device at the same price. "

Dude, did you not read my OP? I said essentially the same thing and provided the link you're refering to for the benefit of the thread OP. I have no dog in this hunt. After a lot of research I chose the Gallaxy but that doesn't mean the Gallaxy is better.....or worse. I said it was a preference thing as did the author of the provided link.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:38:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By skebe:
ASUS Transformer?

THIS.

$100 less than a comparable iPad2 (WiFi only), but the TF has GPS and the iPad does not. It also has a microSD card slot and HDMI out built into it, which the iPad does not. Include the keyboard dock and you're only about $50 more than the WiFi only iPad 2, and you get an Android specific keyboard, two full size USB ports, one full size SD card slot (GREAT for getting pictures off of your cameras!) and about 6 or more hours more battery life.

As for buying a shit ton of apps... unless you just want to play a bunch of stupid little games, there's not much you'd need to buy to make either tablet all that useful. I think I've probably spent less than $15 on apps since I switched to an Android phone 2 years ago. If I purchase an app that runs on my TF and my phone, I can install it on both.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:40:34 AM EST
Get the Apple. It is a higher quality product.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:40:38 AM EST
I have never owned a single Apple product. We have an iPad2. I want another one just to have around, it's so good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:50:23 AM EST
I"ll be getting the transformer 2 when it comes out. I had a ipad. it was ok but i think TF2 will be better
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:50:29 AM EST
Flash is going away in favor of html5.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/adobe-forges-ahead-flash-11-industry-turns-away-173556
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:56:39 AM EST
Dude, did you not read my OP? I said essentially the same thing and provided the link you're refering to for the benefit of the thread OP. I have no dog in this hunt. After a lot of research I chose the Gallaxy but that doesn't mean the Gallaxy is better.....or worse. I said it was a preference thing as did the author of the provided link.

...and you are correct. I agree with you.

Each is different and has plus factors.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:58:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By kissfan:
Flash is going away in favor of html5.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/adobe-forges-ahead-flash-11-industry-turns-away-173556

You mean, like with the demise of the 5 1/4 inch floppy, the parallel port, the 3.5" floppy, etc. Apple once again accurately sees and leads the way to the future, while many of its detractors point out the lack of said feature as reason it sucks?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:00:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:03:25 AM EST by thebomber]
Originally Posted By althor:
Get the Apple. It is a higher quality product.

based on what? Your comment as written as ZERO benefit to the OP.

ETA and my comment stands even if you said the Gallaxy was higher quality. I've compared both and there weren't any obvious quality differences although "on paper" the Gallaxy seems to have an advantage in the hardware department.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:04:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
ASUS Transformer?

THIS.

$100 less than a comparable iPad2 (WiFi only), but the TF has GPS and the iPad does not. It also has a microSD card slot and HDMI out built into it, which the iPad does not. Include the keyboard dock and you're only about $50 more than the WiFi only iPad 2, and you get an Android specific keyboard, two full size USB ports, one full size SD card slot (GREAT for getting pictures off of your cameras!) and about 6 or more hours more battery life.

As for buying a shit ton of apps... unless you just want to play a bunch of stupid little games, there's not much you'd need to buy to make either tablet all that useful. I think I've probably spent less than $15 on apps since I switched to an Android phone 2 years ago. If I purchase an app that runs on my TF and my phone, I can install it on both.

I have been thinking about an IPad , but I am computer stupid and have only used Desk bound PC's. What is the TF you are talkin about? because I would like to have GPS as well as the ability to look/ download pictures. Can you hook a keyboard to an ipad . last week while on a plane ride I noticed that a lady infront of me had a keyboard plugged into a tablet and was editing some kind of document.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:04:10 AM EST

There's a lot of "generalization" and "by extension" comments in the thread. Just because you don't like the Motorola Zoom, doesn't mean you wouldn't like the Gallaxy. Two different products.

That's not entirely true. If you JailBreak you can use the camera kit. Also you don't have to use iTunes to put music or videos on your iPad. There's free software out there that will allow you to transfer it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:05:14 AM EST
I have an Asus Eeepad Transformer. This thing is totally tits. Highly recommend the Android platform!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:05:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By Shung:
iPad2.

Which browsers ? Plz

You can try Puffin, Skyfire and there's another one but mind is blank dang it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:06:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:11:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:20:32 AM EST by Daps]
I'd really say use a consultant and see what applications are out there that will fit your need.
I will say you will probably find more choices with the iPad. ETA:If you're looking for a canned product.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:16:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:18:03 AM EST by Subnet]

Originally Posted By krpind:
Ok IT guys.

I want to completely revamp my entire company computer wise.

New computers, software, POS, inventory and I also want mobile devices like an iPad that can invoice and take payments in the trucks. I want the mobile devices to be able to download schematics and machine parts breakdowns and wiring diagrams and keep up with the truck inventories.

Are y'all telling me I should go with Apple for this since the iPad is superior? I have been researching this a little, but that would be a whole new direction.

That's a project that's WAY too involved to be discussed on a forum. You really need to hire consultants, for something like this. If my own company were to do something similar, we'd have our application development team writing apps, our infrastructure team researching hardware and manageability, our business intelligence team working on the DB side of things and analyzing data, etc. It would be a major project.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:18:29 AM EST
Ok IT guys.

New computers, software, POS, inventory and I also want mobile devices like an iPad that can invoice and take payments in the trucks. I want the mobile devices to be able to download schematics and machine parts breakdowns and wiring diagrams and keep up with the truck inventories.

Are y'all telling me I should go with Apple for this since the iPad is superior? I have been researching this a little, but that would be a whole new direction.

The iPad is first and foremost a consumer product. Depending on what is already out there, you would probably be better off with purpose-built solutions, and something tells me Android would be the way to go - just like it was for Amazon's new Fire.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:19:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By Subnet:

Ok IT guys.

That's a project that's WAY too involved to be discussed on a forum. You really need to hire consultants, for something like this. If my own company were to do something similar, we'd have our application development team writing apps, our infrastructure team researching hardware and manageability, etc. It would be a major project.

Said it better than I did Subnet. No way do I come Arfcom and ask this. I may ask who has done something similar and ask who did they use as a consultant or which companies.
We're doing a migration and it's going to take about a year to complete.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:23:41 AM EST

Ok IT guys.

That's a project that's WAY too involved to be discussed on a forum. You really need to hire consultants, for something like this. If my own company were to do something similar, we'd have our application development team writing apps, our infrastructure team researching hardware and manageability, etc. It would be a major project.

Said it better than I did Subnet. No way do I come Arfcom and ask this. I may ask who has done something similar and ask who did they use as a consultant or which companies.
We're doing a migration and it's going to take about a year to complete.

I hope krpind wasn't thinking he was making some sort of rhetorical point. If so, it wasn't a very good one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:25:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By TexasRooter:
ASUS Transformer?

THIS.

I have been thinking about an IPad , but I am computer stupid and have only used Desk bound PC's. What is the TF you are talkin about? because I would like to have GPS as well as the ability to look/ download pictures. Can you hook a keyboard to an ipad . last week while on a plane ride I noticed that a lady infront of me had a keyboard plugged into a tablet and was editing some kind of document.

With an iPad, you can use bluetooth keyboards, and from what I understand, they work well.

The Transformer is a tablet that that has an available keyboard 'dock'. The tablet actually locks into the keyboard, and the whole thing basically becomes a netbook.

Asus Transformer
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:28:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2011 7:31:04 AM EST by Bohr_Adam]
Originally Posted By TexasRooter:
ASUS Transformer?

THIS.

With an iPad, you can use bluetooth keyboards, and from what I understand, they work well.

The Transformer is a tablet that that has an available keyboard 'dock'. The tablet actually locks into the keyboard, and the whole thing basically becomes a netbook.

Asus Transformer

I think that basic design concept (either via physical connection, or wireless and sharing a folder/case will be the death knell of the netbook, once the tablet OS possibilities expand.

ETA: TexasRooter, here is an example of many systems now available for the iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Performance-Bluetooth-different-adjustable/dp/B0054L7FVW
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:39:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By Khemist:

This is where I'm at as well but was considering something different so as to not be "brainwashe". I have a MacBook Pro that is 3 years old and I can count on 2 fingers the times it has needed a force quit or reboot. It's been reliable as has the iPad, and iPhone. They are not without flaw but better than everything else I've experienced.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:41:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:

Out of curiosity, why 4G? This is being offered on a lot of tablet PC's and I just don't get it. Are you really in need of access (particularly limited speed and size access) for as much as you would pay for home service? Especially if you will mostly be using it at home.

I'm considering dumping the iphone for a dedicated phone and doing all app related tasks on a tablet. I agree 4G is not necessary but figured I'd look around and not let myself fall into Apple tunnelvision.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:43:28 AM EST
You seriously miss Flash?

Even on my own live streaming site (which uses Flash for the video), I'm in the middle of creating a solution for iOS devices. When I'm done, I can think of no reason why I'd actually need Flash for anything.

Perhaps it isn't just flash but over the weekend my BIL (on the galaxy) was getting into websites that my iPad would not. He gave me the pro's and con's but I want more opinion. One thing I've noticed is that the "pop up" username and password entries don't work on certain sites.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:48:21 AM EST
Thanks, I need to get edumacated on these things. My son in law is always riding me because I have a cell phone that is just a cell phone and he has a phone that does everything but wipe your ass. I figure an I Pad size device is a good compromise that I can get my paws to work. If an IPad also could be a phone it would be even better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:52:10 AM EST
Thanks for the replies, the points and options seem to be useful and I'll let you know the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:56:13 AM EST
Keep current Ipad 1 until 3 comes out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top