Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 5:01:11 PM EDT by Sturmwehr]
Ok, this is going to sound stupid and frugal, but it's my situation.

I have a small amount of money, sub-$1000. I wish to invest all of it and make a little more with it. What should I do?

CDs? Bonds? What should I be looking at?

Now, I'm not expecting to get rich off of this investment. I only expect to make a hundred or two in a few months with it. I doubt even that's possible. However, I'm interested in anything you could tell me about small investments.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:01:00 PM EDT
Short term CDs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 5:05:05 PM EDT by Sturmwehr]

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:
Short term CDs.

Now, I was thinking of this. However, both of the banks I use have $1000 minimums on CDs.

Where can I go to get short-term low minimum CDs?

EDIT:

Craps.

That's a good way to lose money. I don't want that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:04:10 PM EDT
Craps.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:10:01 PM EDT
red or black, double your money or lose it all!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:10:47 PM EDT
100 or two in a few months?

Ok, heres the math....

you want to make 10-20% in the first "few" months......lets say "few"=3 for easy division.
lets say 10-20% means 15% to give us static numbers. You are looking for an investment that yields 60% APR......good luck, let me know what you find. Other than Vegas or AC, nothing legal will give you that kind of return without serious risk.

If you are cool with risking the money, I would look at penny stocks...do some research and find a stock that "may" appreciate. More realistically, if you want a garuanteed investment, look to bonds or CD's...but you arent going to make even close to $200 in 3 months.

Say you found a CD that offered 4% a year (which is damn good these day if you can even find that!)...to make $200.... in a year....you would need to open the account with $5000. To make that same $200 in 3 months, you are looking at $20k down.

Takes money to make money
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:12:37 PM EDT
My apologies. Yes, it is the norm to get CDs with 1G.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:14:11 PM EDT
SILVER silver will gain the most amount over the next year.
KitCo silver
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 5:19:27 PM EDT by Hank_Rearden1]
Do you carry any debt?

You could guarantee yourself an economic gain that is higher than any risk free investment by applying your sub $1000 to any credit cards or loans that you have out standing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:46:42 PM EDT
Rhodium.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
I'd recommend a no-load mutual fund that mimics the S&P 500. Whatever the S&P 500 does in terms of growth so will your money. Since this is an index fund, it will have the lowest cost and therefore maximize any returns to you.

Do a yahoo search on no-load mutual fund and you'll find a (pardon the pun) wealth of information.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:51:12 PM EDT
LE6920
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 6:49:45 PM EDT by gator39]

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

You`re already "into" guns.
Invest in and enjoy your hobby.

For $1000.00 you can buy 2 complete lowers a 1 upper of any top quality ar.

Put 1 lower and the upper together and you just made $100 bucks.

Next month buy another upper and put together your 2nd ar with the remaining lower you aready have.

Keep doing this ad infinitum.

You will build up a nice little bundle in no time.

After you reach a certain point,,you sell some and go to a larger investment or just keep going.

For any short term needs you can pawn a few just to get a few bucks as needed,{ but always get them out. NEVER sell that way}.

Look at your arsenal as a savings account.

You will be surprised what it can do for you.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:01:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hank_Rearden1:
Do you carry any debt?

You could guarantee yourself an economic gain that is higher than any risk free investment by applying your sub $1000 to any credit cards or loans that you have out standing.

+1

If you are carrying credit card debt at (shudder) 22%, you are paying something like $220 a year per thousand on the card. So, if you were to apply the $1k to the credit card balance, you could easily save over $200 over the next year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
Roth IRA in mutual funds, most long track record ones will start for $250
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:15:39 PM EDT
horse track - put it all on Seabiscut
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:46:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gator39:

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

Next month buy another upper and put together your 2nd ar with the remaining lower you aready have.

After you reach a certain point,,you sell some and go to a larger investment or just keep going.

For any short term needs you can pawn a few just to get a few bucks as needed,{ but always get them out. NEVER sell that way}.

I'm with ya all the way. (Just don't forget to subtract the costs of getting an FFL and starting up a business since that's the only way to do it legally - "ad infinitum". )
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:50:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hank_Rearden1:
Do you carry any debt?

Ding Ding Ding +1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:50:50 PM EDT
Investing Crack for maximum profit

On a serious note, buy & sell stuff that you know. If it's guns, coins, stamps, lawnmowers, etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:16:23 PM EDT
Don't start investing money with the idea that you are going to make a killing in the short-term.

If you are going to need to use any money you want to invest within a couple of months simply put it in money market or any short-term bonds. It's a very small return, but with little to no risk. Don't risk money you need, it's not worth it.

However, if you don't need the money and want to try and make a lot (quick) look into options.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
... If your credit is decent, a down payment on real estate in northern Arizona - I shit you nyet
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:23:45 PM EDT

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

For sake of argument lets assume even number, 333 each.
Where you finding lowers and uppers for 300 bucks??
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:24:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... If your credit is decent, a down payment on real estate in northern Arizona - I shit you nyet

What's land going for out that way? I've been considering AZ as a place to move to......somewhere I can shoot whenever I want, preferably.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:38:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By skich:

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

I'm with ya all the way. (Just don't forget to subtract the costs of getting an FFL and starting up a business since that's the only way to do it legally - "ad infinitum". )

Well,,,you really don`t need the ffl at first if you are just building up your arsenal.

When you start selling them off you might need to then, depending on how you sell them and to who.

There isn`t any limit to how many you can build and own in a private collection.
( at least as far as I know).

And I have sold as many as 8 in one year with no knocks at the door.

The idea is to build your arsenal/savings up first.

I have done this for a few years now.

It does work,, and the return is MUCH greater than ANY short term paper.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:51:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

He is starting with $1000.oo.

I said with THAT you can buy 2 lowers and and upper.
There are legit RRA complete lowers to be had for $220.00 to $250.00.
2 of those = $500.

1 RRA complete upper can be had for $400.00 to $500.00.

That`s your $1000.00.

You will have to buy another upper next month,,another lower the next,,,and so on.

I didn`t mean use ONLY $1000.00 and never add any more.

Put money in your arsenal on a regular basis, just like you would a saving fund or passbook account, and you will be WAY further ahead.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:55:43 PM EDT

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

2 of those = $500.

That`s your $1000.00.

You will have to buy another upper next month,,another lower the next,,,and so on.

Put money in your arsenal on a regular basis, just like you would a saving fund or passbook account, and you will be WAY further ahead.

Fair enough, but are these sold online? If so, where??
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:06:10 PM EDT

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

2 of those = $500.

That`s your $1000.00.

Fair enough, but are these sold online? If so, where??

Yes,,they are online,,even in the EE.

Your user name is starting to make me nervous. LOL!!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:10:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By skich:

SKICH,
My thoughts exactly.

Well,,,you really don`t need the ffl at first if you are just building up your arsenal.

When you start selling them off you might need to then, depending on how you sell them and to who.

There isn`t any limit to how many you can build and own in a private collection.
( at least as far as I know).

And I have sold as many as 8 in one year with no knocks at the door.

The idea is to build your arsenal/savings up first.

I have done this for a few years now.

It does work,, and the return is MUCH greater than ANY short term paper.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:11:18 PM EDT
1. Reduce debt
2. Start an automatic investing program with it - for example, drop it in a Roth IRA toward an S&P Index fund or something, and let them pull an additional $50 or so per month from your checking account. You'll never miss it, and it is a big step toward financial independence.

I wouldn't refer my worst enemy toward a CD. If you think you might need access to the money, I suppose a money market fund or some of the fancier stuff in that category might apply.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:41:52 PM EDT

Roth IRA in mutual funds, most long track record ones will start for $250

Agreed. This is the best safe way for you to make money with money. It's guaranteed and you make tax-free interest on top of tax-free interest. I advise my customers to put the maximum they can in a Roth IRA each year, even if they have to borrow to do so.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:55:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By macro:
100 or two in a few months?

Ok, heres the math....

you want to make 10-20% in the first "few" months......lets say "few"=3 for easy division.
lets say 10-20% means 15% to give us static numbers. You are looking for an investment that yields 60% APR......good luck, let me know what you find. Other than Vegas or AC, nothing legal will give you that kind of return without serious risk.

If you are cool with risking the money, I would look at penny stocks...do some research and find a stock that "may" appreciate. More realistically, if you want a garuanteed investment, look to bonds or CD's...but you arent going to make even close to $200 in 3 months.

Say you found a CD that offered 4% a year (which is damn good these day if you can even find that!)...to make $200.... in a year....you would need to open the account with $5000. To make that same $200 in 3 months, you are looking at $20k down.

Takes money to make money

I was thinking few as in 4-5 months, but ok...

I see the point.

Do you carry any debt?

Zero debt. I have a VISA card, and generally only use it to buy stuff online, or at the gas station. Nothing outrageous goes on it. I try to use money order or check (or cash) whenever I can.

Everything that goes on the card is paid off at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:26:06 AM EDT
Another thought...not exactly in line with your plan to make a good percentage yeild in a few months...but still a solid investment....put that money toward a gold coin...a decent quality US Eagle $20 coin can be obtained for $1k or less. You may not make a lot of money on it, but you wont lose any either....and its a solid investment over time. For a quick return, you might be better to simply look for good deals on used merchandise and then resell it on ebay or EE....but for an investment grade coin, you can definitely get something worthwhile in the price range you gave.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:01:35 AM EDT
+1 for the post by Peteco & Zoom

go do the Roth IRA and set it up for a mutual fund/brokage account.

you might want to look into the Vanguard 500 (a S&P 500 index fund)

a little bid of money each month w/ the compunding effets of stocks will build you a nice nest egg quick.

Later,

Badredfish
Top Top