Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/26/2003 3:32:38 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I hang out over on the AR boards and have posted here a couple of times. I wanted to introduce myself to be polite I guess. I'm a Sergeant with the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia Police Department. Been on almost 14 years now, currently a Sergeant. Sergeant five years, small arms instructor for three, SWAT for three(sniper/counter sniper) and patrol for three. I was a Sergeant(E-5) in the Army, Military Police, 3rd Armored Division(86-89)I'm not on their site, but work part time at Blackwater as a small arms instructor. I had the honor of attending Gunny Hathcock's school which is hosted here. Some of you may know that this was his home. I'm looking forward to visiting here and learning some things, helping out and telling stories. Mark
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 4:17:55 PM EDT by Striker]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:50:48 PM EDT
Welcome and thanks for your service. I served in the Navy at the same time you were in the Army. I'm just now trying to get into the LEO field. Hopefully someday you can call me "FNG". I was stationed in Norfolk for 2 1/2 years on the USS Barney DDG-6 (now starring as a reef off the U.S. East Coast). Of course I spent more time in Italy and Spain than I did Virginia Beach. ha. How is Blackwater compared to other training facilities? I've only been to one outfit, Frontsight, and found the training to be great but the sell job they are constantly trying via email and mailings puts off a bad vibe that makes me worry that something is amiss with that outfit. I could be wrong and I hope I'm wrong because the level of competence and safety awareness was very nice there. It doesn't hurt that it's a lot closer to my home in WA. Anyway, thanks for your service in the military and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:50:21 PM EDT
Thanks for the welcome! Yes it was great to have him passing on his knowledge. He had some good stories to tell us also. I learned alot about the fine points of marksmenship with him over by shoulder-"pay attention to detail, get in your bubble" He did alot for our team, before my time, he convinced our former chief that we needed weekly training, a full day, every week. That was great to keep you tuned in. To bad to see him go. I haven't been to any other commercial site. Went through various civilain and military agency courses. I can't speak for other places. From my experience, Blackwater is a great place to attend. Although their courses have a set curriculum, a group can have tailored courses. If a group wants to work on certain needs, all you have to do is set that up with them. You can also rent the range, and bring your own instructors if you wish. The facility is awesome! it's constantly being expanded and everything possible is done to give the shooter a great training session. When training, you have to be safe and always ask yourself if what you are doing is safe, relevent and can you do it under stress. I wish you well when you try out for that agency. If I can help, let me know! Thanks for the welcome and to your service as well. Mark
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:14:35 PM EDT
Welcome aboard, Sarge. I was at Blackwater last year training with one of your guys. I hear they added alot of stuff there like a track for Exec. Protec. Defensive driving and a tower for repelling. I can't wat to get back there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:44:49 AM EDT
Vinnie, That tower and climbing wall is up! Another urban training area next to Sim City is going in also. It's never ending on that place. I'm going down Thursday to do some steel busting! Be safe Mark
Top Top