Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 10:14:55 AM EDT
Mrs. Wedge is looking for a new job.  Does anyone have any experience with these online job finding sites?  Whoes good?  Whoes bad?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a techie, so I rely on Dice.  
Monster and America's Job Bank may be better for other careers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess the specific job might have been helpful.  Mrs. Wedge is a Registered Nurse.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Monster is the 800lb gorilla.  Oh and set up a "free-mail" account somewhere like Yahoo - cause she's gonna get spammed.

BTW- you oughta move down here.  The nursing shortage is so bad a 40yo friend of ours is going to school for free and getting paid as a nurse's aide while in school.  Sweet deal.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Monster is the 800lb gorilla.  Oh and set up a "free-mail" account somewhere like Yahoo - cause she's gonna get spammed.

BTW- you oughta move down here.  The nursing shortage is so bad a 40yo friend of ours is going to school for free and getting paid as a nurse's aide while in school.  Sweet deal.  

I would be for it, but Mrs. Wedge is not going to leave here.  And I pretty much just follow her around...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Registered Nurse?  They are begging people to be nurses around here.  Signing bonuses and everything. Shouldnt be too hard for her.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess the specific job might have been helpful.  Mrs. Wedge is a Registered Nurse.

Why didn't you say so in the first place.

Just put a sign up in the yard..."An RN looking for a job lives here"

You should have 3-4 offers by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why didn't you say so in the first place.

Just put a sign up in the yard..."An RN looking for a job lives here"

You should have 3-4 offers by the end of the day.

We get letters from the Navy and Air Force on a daily basis.

I don't really feel like sending her off to sea though....
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Registered Nurse?  They are begging people to be nurses around here.  Signing bonuses and everything. Shouldnt be too hard for her.

Huge demand for nurses. One of the few occupations, that unless you live in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, the excuse "I can't find work" is COMPLETE bullshit. She aint tryin' very hard chief...you sure she wants to work?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huge demand for nurses. One of the few occupations, that unless you live in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, the excuse "I can't find work" is COMPLETE bullshit. She aint tryin' very hard chief...you sure she wants to work?

She is working now, she just wants to get out of the hospital.  And today is the first day of the search, so I told her I would check online for her.... chief.

eta - asshole.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She is working now, she just wants to get out of the hospital.  And today is the first day of the search, so I told her I would check online for her.... chief.

eta - asshole.

Maybe you should do a little poking around before you ask a stupid question....chief. Would you like your chin wiped after your bottle, or do you need to be burped first?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a recruiter...Try Monster and HotJobs.com... They work.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
You might want to see if your state has employment services listings. Found my wifes last two jobs there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Have her type her resume in cut/copy/paste text format and in WORD format, some sites allow for pasting your resume in the allowed space and some require an attachment.

Post resume on all boards

Job to be had soon after

good luck!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta - asshole.

Maybe you should do a little poking around before you ask a stupid question....chief. Would you like your chin wiped after your bottle, or do you need to be burped first?

edit to deleted original response

On the advice of someone whom I hold a great deal of respect for I have decided to let this go.

Thank you for everyone who answered my question.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had good success with www.monster.com  

I posted my resume, and was recruited by a fortune 500 company.  I've since been promoted, and couldn't be happier with the job change that I made.  

I was really skeptical about the whole online thing, but it is the new way to get a job.  Employers really do check online resumes and have discovered it's a much more efficient way to hunt down qualified applicants.  

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible to withhold your name from these online resume listings until you know which company it is that is looking at you?

Reason being you probably don't want your current employer seeing your name and resume on a job hunting website.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is it possible to withhold your name from these online resume listings until you know which company it is that is looking at you?

Reason being you probably don't want your current employer seeing your name and resume on a job hunting website.

If I remember correctly, you can set different privacy levels.  I'm not sure how much it will with hold, as it allows prospective employers to email you.  

It would make sense to keep it low key.  Also, it would be funny if your company attempted to recruit you for a position, and then realized you were an employee.

What wouldn't be funny is an "at will" employer seeing your resume, and cutting your strings for hunting.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course, y'all do know that the founder of Monster.com is a huge donor to anti-gun causes.  He founded some major anti-gun group back during the tech boom.

ETA: found it,  "Americans for Gun Safety", AGS.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in te middle of a job search right now and one good tip when using Monster is to update your resume every week (Sat or Sun works best).  Most employeers only search 'New Resumes'.  It can just be a silly little change, in mycase i change the Objective from Sales/Engineering/Cost Estimating to Sales/Cost Estimating/Engineering.  Just something to get Monster to pick it up as new, even changing a comma to a dash will work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm in te middle of a job search right now and one good tip when using Monster is to update your resume every week

True that.  I've been looking for a couple weeks.  The first week was hot and heavy, then nuthin.  Past two weeks I update first thing (just screw with some whitespace) on Monday and the traffic has been constant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top